Author Topic: World of Tanks  (Read 48296 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Just downloaded this, and didn't die in my first battle, even though we lost.  I even shot somebody!

(read: I hid behind the corpses of my fellow MS-1s until somebody walked by, and I shot them.)

EDIT:  I've killed one tank.  In 11 engagements.  Even with a srsly pimped out MS-1.  I think that's the problem.  It's still an MS-1.

And by seriously pimped out, I mean I researched and bought everything.  I'm assuming I can't make it mechanically better anymore.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:26:50 am by Scotty »

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I still have my MS-1, unpimped. I have researched all but still play it as a stock. It's kind of fun, especially when ya know that repairs and ammo cost nothing.

I'm planning to advance into Soviet Medium branch from it, when the crew is at 100%.
Habeeb it...

I think that's the problem.  It's still an MS-1.
When you get a Tier 2 tank, get ready to fight up to Tier 4.
What you could do is follow a heavier team member for a while and learn the basic survival tactics.

Another thing- you get points for damaging, the bonus for a kill is very small from what I've heard, so don't worry about the low amount of kills.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
EDIT:  I've killed one tank.  In 11 engagements.  Even with a srsly pimped out MS-1.  I think that's the problem.  It's still an MS-1.

And by seriously pimped out, I mean I researched and bought everything.  I'm assuming I can't make it mechanically better anymore.

Actually, you probably can. Go back to the 45mm rather than the 23mm. (You can also drop hundreds of thousands of credits on extra stuff if you really want.) Know your place and role; you're not fast enough or maneuverable enough to advance to contact and survive, so learn the maps and pick spots where you can be reasonably assured they'll come to you.

I usually get two or three kills with mine, sometimes more.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Actually, you probably can. Go back to the 45mm rather than the 23mm. (You can also drop hundreds of thousands of credits on extra stuff if you really want.) Know your place and role; you're not fast enough or maneuverable enough to advance to contact and survive, so learn the maps and pick spots where you can be reasonably assured they'll come to you.

I usually get two or three kills with mine, sometimes more.

I've been on the 45mm the whole time, just researched and bought everything to try it out at least once.  I like the bigger report and the knowledge that I'm more likely to do damage on a hit.

I'm saving up for the BT-2 and T-26 right now.  Before I move on I'm going to pimp all of the tier two tanks.  It's just how I roll.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
**** THE STUG.

No seriously, **** this goddamn worthless **** TD. The Hetzer's sloped armor gave it far superior protection even to 75mm gunfire where as the Stug III's armor couldn't bounce a wad of paper. It's goddamn impossible to get penetrating hits with anything in the tiers you fight using the standard gun or even the first upgrade, and far, far too many of them can blow you apart in one shot.

Hetzers gonna hetz 4 life.

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I don't suppose this is in the upgrade tree for the Maus?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
No, but it should be. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Patriot

That's the Tier 11 Haus, when a Maus just won't do :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
On the other hand, the Stug with L/70 gun is actually decent. Pity it takes so long to get it.

EDIT: Actually, it's a murder machine in lower-tier matches. I just killed seven in two consecutive matches.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:38:51 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
**** THE STUG.

No seriously, **** this goddamn worthless **** TD. The Hetzer's sloped armor gave it far superior protection even to 75mm gunfire where as the Stug III's armor couldn't bounce a wad of paper. It's goddamn impossible to get penetrating hits with anything in the tiers you fight using the standard gun or even the first upgrade, and far, far too many of them can blow you apart in one shot.

Hetzers gonna hetz 4 life.

Don't forget that the STUG isn't per-se a TD, but rather an assault gun. It's an artillery piece on tracks with a low profile (and simplified mechanics in comparison to a turreted tank) rather than an AT gun on tracks, etc. A Brumbar, if World of Tanks has one, would be awful in tank-tank matches as although it has thick armor and a big gun, it's a lower velocity general purpose howitzer for blowing apart buildings and infantry, not necessarily blasting away at other AFVs. Hence the difference between the assault gun/SPG and tank hunter/TD.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Don't forget that the STUG isn't per-se a TD, but rather an assault gun. It's an artillery piece on tracks with a low profile (and simplified mechanics in comparison to a turreted tank) rather than an AT gun on tracks, etc. A Brumbar, if World of Tanks has one, would be awful in tank-tank matches as although it has thick armor and a big gun, it's a lower velocity general purpose howitzer for blowing apart buildings and infantry, not necessarily blasting away at other AFVs. Hence the difference between the assault gun/SPG and tank hunter/TD.

This isn't totally fair, because you're forgetting that the StuG at least had a decent ante gun for antitank work. The problem is the existing tiering system pits the StuG against vehicles it really can't fight without the L/70 gun (and even then it's kinda iffy). It's on the same tier as the Panzer IV, Sherman, and T-34, yet you rarely encounter these vehicles in combat, more usually facing off with T-43s, KV-3s, and the various VKs.

And actually I suspect a Brummbar would do okay since one of the most feared mid-tier vehicles is the KV with 152mm, otherwise known as the Derpgun, and the SU-152/ISU-152 are murderous enemies.

A Feddie Story

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That's a very fair analysis. And yeah, most of the StuGs were Panzer IIIs, so they'd inherently be out of league with some of the larger tanks, even when the superstructure is beefed up.

Speaking of huge unwieldy guns, is there a Churchill AVRE? I want to shoot a shaped charge mortar at people. :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Patriot

I've seen a preliminary tree from the russian forums that had the AVRE as premium tank.

I believe it was posted somewhere on the international forums as well

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Russian? AVRE? That's a combat engineer variant of a British tank, you silly!

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

He means he saw what was likely a British tree on the Russian forums, not that the tank itself was Russian.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Russian? AVRE? That's a combat engineer variant of a British tank, you silly!

Russian WoT is developmentally a cycle or three ahead of international. They may have diverged balance-wise as well, I honestly hope so because the Russian dev team is lolworthy.

The British tree I've seen suggests the Churchill is in, so either an AVRE turret or a premium AVRE is possible.

The French tree, on the other hand, is sorta strange since it's almost entirely composed of postwar tanks. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I don't suppose this is in the upgrade tree for the Maus?

Maus in a House!

I think people might actually fall for this house cammo.

Fun feature from high tier tanks- a T23 often costs more to fix than you earn in a battle you win. It's done this way to keep the mid Tiers filled up with people so that newcomers will always have enemies- you grind in the high Tier to research a tank, but you also grind for cash in a low or mid Tier...
This sucks a bit because I wanted to grind all the way through one tree and then begin the next one...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I can pay for myself at Tier 6, but supposedly at Tier 10/Tier 9 even with a premium account it's not possible to break even absent being part of a platoon or company.

I've seen a lot of VK4502s late though, so I'm not convinced. I also wonder: where are terrible Tier 9 mediums people *****ed about? I see Tier 9 heavies, mainly the mini-Maus and T34, but not Pershings or T-54s.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:10:05 pm by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story