Author Topic: Looking for a Volunteer!  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Looking for a Volunteer!
Some might argue that this isn't quite the right board for this, but I think it fits the bill. For teh lulz (the only reason anyone does anything), I've been trying to get the sound data (namely music) out of one of my old Mac games, Comanche MAC, Novalogic's 1994 port of Comanche: Maximum Overkill to the early Mac operating systems (7-9). It's been an interesting analysis so far... The files are not named with respect to their extension, but open readily in a Mac version of QuickTime. They DO NOT do so on a Windows computer - my computer can't even see the disk! Only by opening the disk on my father's iMac upstairs was I able to get copies of the files from the disk.

As a test, I tried re-naming all the files as ones with file extensions recognized by QuickTime on my Windows machine. This was unsuccessful. I'm thus not really sure what to do - my assumption is that the Mac version has access to a legacy audio codec which my Windows machine does not. What's more bothersome is that even though you can play the audio files in Mac QT, it does not identify what codec it's using, or how it's running the file after it's been opened. If the case is in fact that I've got Mac native sound files on hand, I'd never know.

...Interestingly, I tried importing the files to a Mac version of iTunes, so I could see if I could create AAC files out of the sound files. This was also unsuccessful. You'd think that iTunes and QT would share codec libraries. :p

In any sense, I'd like some help. I'd like to ask if there'd be anyone here who would be interested in converting some neat, old school sound files to a useable format, and then reporting on how you got where you did. It's by no means essential for any purpose, but I have no issues with letting these files go to anyone who wants them. Probably the easiest thing as far as extraction goes would be to find someone here who (a.) has a Mac, and (b.) owns the full version of QT. Doing a simple port of the audio shouldn't be an issue if you've got (a.) and (b.) down. However, any other means of testing these are also welcome if you're willing to try. If you want a shot at figuring out how to run them, don't worry, I'll include a sample in the post... as soon as I get home to do so. :)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Looking for a Volunteer!
you should use the analogue hole, and record the output onto a new recording, I don't know if macs will do the same but PCs will let you use the output of your sound card as an audio source that you can record from (like a mic), if all else fails you can run a line from the output of your speakers to the input for your mic.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Alright, well, I'm home now...

That's interesting as a solution... I wouldn't know much about it, though I can look into it if I have more time, or otherwise have the software/hardware. Is there any free software that will record directly from the sound card? I can't emphasize how useful that would be in general...

In any sense, here are the music files:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Heh, now I'm actually quite impressed with the Mac music. It's definately MIDI music, but it's way better than the default DOS music, as linked to below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usj17cxSCKs&feature=related

Again, if you are able to listen to the files I uploaded, you can hear the better quality of the Mac version's files in relation to the ones in the video above.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

That's interesting as a solution... I wouldn't know much about it, though I can look into it if I have more time, or otherwise have the software/hardware. Is there any free software that will record directly from the sound card? I can't emphasize how useful that would be in general...

Audacity can do it, though it also depends on your system (sound card, I guess).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I figured it could, as I know Andy has used it to pull sounds out of the different versions of the console Stellar Assault. That said, how do you do it?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hate to be a bother, but is anyone else remotely interested in experimenting with this?

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Change the recording input to "Stereo Mix", as shown in the picture below. It may or may not be there, depending on your sound card (I think).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Well, I don't have that handy input-select tab on my software... which is too bad. By the way, what version are you running? I run the 1.3.12 Beta version.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I'm looking into it for ya thaeris... poke me on skype sometime.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Hmm, I'm still on 1.2.6. But regardless, you should be able to select the input somewhere, why would they ditch a feature like that?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Piracy concerns or external pressures? I kind of doubt it, but it is possible. I've been sorting through the online manual, but I haven't had too much luck so far. Here's what I see on my control panel:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

What does it say under "Master"? It looks like that should be it. Try experimenting with different settings there - if you're lucky, one of them will record your output.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I was guessing that was the input tab, but the only thing that's available is "Master" itself - I'm on a laptop, so it's possible I don't have certain sound card options available.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Bah, I guess it depends... I'm on a laptop as well, with a SoundMAX HD Audio card (at least, I think that's the card), which can do it. My parents' desktop has a sorta intelgrated sound card and it can't.

If all else fails, you can still try what Bobboau said, get a cable and connect your analog output to your mike input.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That seems to be a possible solution, as I said before. But, I'd much rather work with distortion-free software. I'm really green in this field, so I'm not getting anywhere fast.

*EDIT!!!

Yep, I at least figured out how to record from the sound card with my OS. It seems the card output is hidden by default, and I have to manually select it in Audacity's preferences once enabled; that, or set the sound card as the default input device and THEN it will load automatically. I was linked to this forum page with concerns to that issue: http://www.ontola.com/en/how-to-record-windows-vista-audio-output-sound-to

The only thing I need to do now is figure out how this works for a Mac. Once that's done, I should be able to get these sounds in a useable format. :)

It would be nice if I could get the sound effects out as well. Most of those would be really dated in terms of sound, but some of the audio call-outs might be useful if you wanted your ship to sound like it had 1980's computers on-board. :p

*EDIT... MK DEUX:

Looks like Audio Hijack might just be the tool I need for the Mac. Also, I'm a bit surprised that, as far as I can tell, no Mac users have commented on the issue. But, no matter. If all goes well, I should be able to get the sound files now. It would be far better if I had a direct means of converting the data, though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:56:29 pm by Thaeris »

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The project is pretty much finished as far as basic conversion goes. I was directed to another forum by JGZinv to ask for assistance with regards to file format, but general processing is again, pretty much done. There's one track I'd like to re-test on the Mac upstairs to make sure it processed properly, but anything else is just organizational, etc.

I should have an upload tomorrow. Unfortunately, it won't be such a tiny file as the original source audio (149KB). I will post a package of AAC files and .ogg files, as well as a FLAC/source audio pack. This may necessitate multiple uploads on my hosting site, due to file size restrictions.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Sorry to bump this with no apparent progress if you were interested in this little project, but I ended up getting tied down with some small asset details. I think thusly that this might be postponed another week further. However, I'll leave you with a bit of something, if you're at all interested. :)

...I do apologise for the low .ogg quality, though. Making a temporary attachment like this in the forums dictates a minor loss in quality. Also, giving this a bass boost isn't a bad idea.  :cool:

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Davros

I have comanche vs werewolf pc version maybe the music is the same
there seems to be an au file and a matching kdv file media player wont play them

there also seems to be 100mb on the cd i cant account for

edit found the missing 100mb (hoped they might be cda files)
there is a hidden backup folder that just contains a copy of the non hidden files

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm... I'm thinking I don't need this for my own project, though speaking of said project, I really need to wrap that one up. :p

Most of the labor was done long ago, really. I produced a small bit of artwork for the project, which in the interest of better learning GIMP stalled me for a longer period than I would have liked. It's not all that good, but I'm past the point of caring about that at this time. The last thing to fix was a minor recording error on one of the minor tracks, and to properly produce the FLAC and OGG files. The other format I was planning to produce, M4A, is already done.

Seeing as I have Timidity++, I ought to install that and see if it will play the MIDI files. I'm curious to hear the files play with the default voices provided with Windows - I assume it won't sound very good. I'm getting the impression that the Mac voices are much nicer with bass and percussion than their Windows equivalents after playing with Aeria Maestroso [sic].

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke