Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I just thought I'd get a thread started for this.

Anyone played it? I've played the first 15 minutes, as I'm busy revising for exams, but so far it really blows DA2 out of the water. DA2 was abysmal, this has RPG excellence (albeit with slight flaws) stamped all over it.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Act 3 seems a bit short, compared to Witcher 1 which had a very long end/epilogue sequence. But overall this game actually has decisions/consequences unlike every recent Bioware RPG.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

After watching Giant Bomb's hour-and-a-half Quick Look, I rapidly jumped from 'not interested' to 'do want'.  It looks very much like the developers built a world and a ruleset and refused to dumb down either.

Offline mxlm

I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
It looks awesome... but I don't I'll be able to run it. I'll try out the first game though.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
How's combat in Witcher 2, particularly controls? I hated controls in the first game so much I haven't gotten further than the first town after the castle siege.

Act 3 seems a bit short, compared to Witcher 1 which had a very long end/epilogue sequence. But overall this game actually has decisions/consequences unlike every recent Bioware RPG.

You mean unlike any Bioware RPG. I can hardly think of anything where the outcome was decided by your choices made before the end (as opposed to... at the end) (The only one I ... think it does (never finished it) is KOTOR).

Witcher 2s controls are /similar/ but not the same as Witchers controls, there is a combo system but it's not as strict, however, it's also not as obvious when you're making a stance (there are no stances persay) based mistake.

Edit;
Forgot to add.
This is as good as portal 2 for me, which is making my game of the year decisions harder!
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
How's combat in Witcher 2, particularly controls? I hated controls in the first game so much I haven't gotten further than the first town after the castle siege.

More structured, if that makes sense. Best way to describe it from my little play of it. I might cave and play some more tonight so I'll let you know what I mean by that once I've formed more of an impression on the combat.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I havent got it yet, really enjoyed the first one, and from what i am hearing the second is just as good. Will pick it up when i get some money
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Playing it right now, first impression is more than amazing. That picture above didnt even show half of the amazing setting at that scene. ;)

Also, if you do decide to buy it, buy it from GOG.com . Makes sure the makers get more money, AND, especially in Europe, you get a total of 3 GOG games for free with it. Amazing offer.

EDIT: also, 5 euro off for pre-ordering, much like Steam.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:20:11 am by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
heh, I'll probably end up buying it 2 years... like a I usually do. Don't feel like buying this one for the 360.

I still haven't played the first Witcher, and ended up getting this randomly as a gift from a friend. Should I go splurge on the first one for the sake of Story or are the two not connected that well, ala Dragon age 2?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
They're connected directly - the sequel's story is derived from a cliffhanger at the end of the first game - but they're both fairly self-contained. All the first game's major plot threads were resolved and the cliffhanger in question was an unrelated sequel-tease. Playing the first would give you more background on the characters and your choices can be imported into the sequel, but the two games tell distinct stories.

heh, I'll probably end up buying it 2 years... like a I usually do. Don't feel like buying this one for the 360.

It's not out for the 360.

Nothing like the first game's. It brings to mind the combat of Demon's Souls, if not with its exact mechanics then with its intent. It's quite dynamic: there's lots of dodging around, discreet swordplay and spell usage to alter a battle's shape. The game rewards mindful play and is merciless towards recklessness. Position is crucial and your ability to manage your location relative to opponents has a lot of sway.

I could just barely tolerate the first game's combat. This, though, is good. Great, at times. There's some rough edges - it's not as responsive as it probably should be, for one - but after conquering the harsh learning curve I've been having a blast with it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Harsh learning curve? That's what they said about W1 too, and it still sucked.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Way to make me regret writing that post for you, Dismissive McDismisspants. Go watch the Giant Bomb quicklook or something.

Here, I'll even link it for you: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/17-4139/

So, does it run on slower computers?

Ha ha no.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
So, does it run on slower computers?
I have a huge list of games I need to play when I have a better computer...

Offline mxlm

Having now played through the prologue, I think Bioware ought to be ashamed. There are more soldiers in one goddamn siege tower than there were NPCs in all of [Bioware Game's Capital City Name Here].

And hell, it only took CDP:Red two iterations to get damn good action/RPG gameplay, whereas Bioware, which started trying to figure that out back with Jade Empire, didn't get it down until Mass Effect 2. And DA2 wasn't exactly well done in that respect either.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.