Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
This game is good enough to disrupt my sleep, and I really like my sleep.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Does the story make sense if you haven't played the first?

I found the first one's gameplay atrocious, at least as far as combat was concerned, so...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Does the story make sense if you haven't played the first?

I found the first one's gameplay atrocious, at least as far as combat was concerned, so...

Well, the first is a closed book. There was just a bit of sequeal teasing at the end cinematic, but the first is a pretty stand alone story. So I assume that hte second is too.

You can get by without playing the first, but it really does help.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, the first is a closed book. There was just a bit of sequeal teasing at the end cinematic, but the first is a pretty stand alone story. So I assume that hte second is too.

Second pretty clearly sets up a third.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
BRILLIANT GAME
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Eh.  It's pretty firmly in "Meh" territory for me so far.  The plot is interesting, but not captivating.  Combat is stiff and unengaging, the controls aren't especially responsive, the 'must meditate to drink potions' is a terrible decision in light of the short duration they run on, potion making is clunky and the ingredients it auto selects are at times highly questionable. 

I'm in the middle of chapter 2, and I have no desire to continue to play.  It's not fun.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
are you sure you're playing the same game as me

Is the one you're playing starring a white haired potion addict, trying to chase down a kingslayer in a game that goes way out of it's way to demonstrate clearly and undeniably that all kings are dicks?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
There is certainly a white-haired fellow in it but the only king I have met was a pretty stand-up dude who I felt honestly moved to avenge

Er....Foltest?  The dude who banged his own sister? 

At any rate, I take it back.  I'm not playing the same game as you guys are.  Not anymore, anyway.  You're playing Witcher 2, while I'm playing "Download a 9GB patch, only to discover the game won't launch afterward."

Unable to load cooked 'globals\controls.csv'. Make sure resource was gathered and check log for details.....

Still can't register Witcher 1 on my new machine. 

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury

That's the one! He also spoke plainly, fought beside his men and cared for his bastard children. As far as kings go you could do much worse than incest.

That's a shame about the 9GB Steam patch issue. It's 20MB everywhere else - apparently CDProjekt patched one of the major game files directly and Steam can't handle that without replacing the whole thing.

That's the one! He also spoke plainly, fought beside his men and cared for his bastard children. As far as kings go you could do much worse than incest.

He also went off to another country at some point, letting his country dissolve into chaos.
Then again, he also went back and did something about it, amiably.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

That's a shame about the 9GB Steam patch issue. It's 20MB everywhere else - apparently CDProjekt patched one of the major game files directly and Steam can't handle that without replacing the whole thing.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes Foltest. His captain of the special forces is pretty cool too.

Also.. stiff unresponsive combat... wut? We must be playing different games. Combat is tough, yes, until you start acting strategically.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

It's not about difficulty at all.  The game becomes very easy by mid game, but remains unresponsive.

In particular, the core attack mechanics are aggravating as hell.  The two attack buttons can have any number of actual moves performed by pressing them.  At close range, they're all very similar, but if you're passed an arbitrary range limit, Geralt uses one of his close in attacks.  But those vary from a direct slide in and stab to a ridiculously over the top, arcing out whiling slice which has the tendency to send you flying directly into the pack of enemies, off center enough to ensure that any nearby foes in the pack will get an easy shot at you.  If you get hit by one of those enemies, then you have to deal with not being able to dodge while in a 'hit animation'.  Which might be okay, if it queued and you dodged the moment the animation was over, but it doesn't.  Any command entered during an animation gets lost to the abyss. 

The inability to cancel out of actions combined with a semi-random move selections, which are not by any means all equivalent, just adds up to stiffness.  I don't much care for a game where the actual actions a button press will result in are not completely obvious.  And in an action based game, any moves with animations long enough to leave you very open need to be either cancelable, or purposefully invoked.  Not grouped with a number of other actions which don't leave anywhere near as open.  It's equivalent to a version of street fighter where hard punch occasionally throws a regular punch, and occasionally a fireball move that leaves you open to counters. 

It's as if the animators managed to ensure that every animation be played fully, gameplay be damned.  By late game it doesn't much matter, since you're not instantly dead from a couple of hits, but it's still unresponsive.

Anyway, finally beat it.  One huge, poorly thought out patch, followed by a "Can't start the game bug" which magically solved itself after an hour, managed to finish up the rest of the game.  Not entirely sure what I think yet.  It's not a bad game.....but there are a lot of very bad decisions made regarding the core mechanics. 

And Foltest was a dick.  Look how many people die in the prologue cause of his lover's quarrel.  Still, compared to every other King in the game, he's really not that bad.
Actually, compared to most of the characters in the game, he's not that bad.  By the end of the game, I'm wondering why Geralt doesn't just retire to a nice cabin in the mountains and let the damned monsters eat everyone.   It's pretty much a world where I can let a grue eat anyone I see, and be confident that they did in fact deserve it.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I can't disagree with the unresponsiveness. After a while it stopped bothering me - I've been having tremendous fun with the combat system - but it's definitely a fault. It's a shame because it's pretty much the only thing keeping the combat from being fantastic.

Get better with the combat system, maybe read a guide or two, then don't play on easy.
You WILL have more fun.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Get better with the combat system, maybe read a guide or two, then don't play on easy.

Considering his complaints, I fail to see how any of this will help.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

On easy (like in freespace, flying **** ships with ship weapon loadouts but you can get away with it) you're not punished for being ****, so it doesn't matter what you do, you can just press one button and get through most of the game with ease.
After you learn the combat system you'll realise on the higher difficulties how combat is actually tactical, involving, and intense.

...Little less ignorant now?

I'm actually quite good at the combat system by now.  That doesn't stop the system from randomly selecting an attack from a list of non-equivalent moves on every button press.