Author Topic: FSO Installer assist (need some input please, this should help a lot)  (Read 1014 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FSO Installer assist (need some input please, this should help a lot)
Hey,

I want to make most of what the Installer downloads available on gameupdates.org, which is a server-backed legal files only torrent site.  You can get blazing speeds from there.

Here's my question:  My basic idea is to get all of the large files together into an archive with folder structure saved.  Thus, someone should only have to:

1) Get the game from GOG.com

2) Download the torrent from gameupdates.org & extract it to the GOG.com FS2 folder  ( The order of 1 & 2 should really not matter as they won't overwrite)

3) Get the FSO Installer, which will see all of the large files already present and download the small ones. (Here I'm thinking the mod.ini files and FSO executables, as they are the most likely to change the most often).

Now, for 2), I think maybe I should make about 3 torrents:  One for MVPs, one for FSPort+STR, and one for the rest... as MVPs and FSPort change on a semi-regular basis and this way the entire torrent doesn't have to be taken down and re-upped every time one of those changes.

Also, of course, as mods' .vps are updated and more mods become available, more torrents can be put up to patch the game and add mods until there is enough change to warrant the main download being re-done.

Thoughts?   How can I do this so that the Installer won't take forever and a day to download?  What should I include from the Installer folder for each of the three torrents to tell it to not re-check the files that are already downloaded?

PS: GU does have their source code available in case it's of interest to anyone here.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FSO Installer assist (need some input please, this should help a lot)
There are other mods which receive more frequent updates than FSPort, especially around releases.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: FSO Installer assist (need some input please, this should help a lot)
Hmm... I suppose I could make separate torrents for each one.  I wonder if there is a way to have the Installer launch (or better yet, use) torrents as a primary mirror with the other mirrors as backups.  If so, this would work great.  I know the Azureus bt client is programmed using java.

EDIT: GU supports deleting / replacing torrents:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:03:35 pm by jr2 »