Author Topic: what's the current status of these campaigns?  (Read 4322 times)

what's the current status of these campaigns?
There were some campaigns back in the day that i'd always wanted to play, but never could figure out how to make them work. For some of these, last I checked, they weren't even available. Has anyone done any work on streamlining or even explaining the process or anything? What i'm really asking is, can someone explain to me what Sol: A History, Inferno R1, Inferno: Alliance, Inferno SCP, Solar Wars and I guess Inferno R2 all are in relation to one another, how or even if they fit together story-wise, where I can find them and how I can make them work? Again, it's been at least a couple years since I tried to figure this stuff out... Has anyone else?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: what's the current status of these campaigns?
Short answer: no.

Long answer:

Inferno R1 and Inferno Alliance are released, you can get them at the INF website, (click the icon on a team member, the orange I). These are unmaintained (as the Inferno team is currently working on INFR1U and INFASA respectively, which are SCP-compatible upgrades to these), so if they don't work in the latest build, too bad. Just wait a few years. They aren't too good either (INFR1 is ok).

Inferno R2 doesn't exist. It's the official sequel to Inferno R1, but it doesn't exist, because no one ever made it. Doesn't exist. It's a figment of your imagination. Just like FreeSpace 6.

Sol: A History is a fanmade prequel. Check the second page of the Inferno board, there is an upgrade so it runs on a semi-recent version of FSO. If it doesn't work anymore, too bad, no one's fixing it (unless you bug ShadowGorrath enough).

Solar Wars is a fanmade sequel. I've never played it but apparently its terrible. You don't want to play it, apparently.

Inferno SCP is not released yet.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:07:54 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Inferno R1 is a pretty okay campaign. Sol: A History is a pretty okay user-made prequel. These two released campaigns are worth playing but are in many ways outdated or just downright broken. Inferno R1 will soon be upgraded (hopefully this year) in a project called INFR1U.

The rest are either bad (Inferno Alliance, Solar Wars) or unreleased (Inferno SCP, Inferno R2, though INFR1U will tell the story INFR2 was meant to cover).

Offline Nuclear1

Sol: A History isn't part of the official Inferno storyline, since it was made by Blaise Russel.  I actually prefer it as a prequel to the Inferno campaign over Alliance though.

But, like the others have said, it doesn't work very well with SCP, though it can be played (I did so on 3.6.12 a couple months ago).
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I actually asked the team to make an INFR1U Edition of Sol: A History, with specific shp tbms to use the old ship names, but this isn't going to happen anytime soon. It'll probably be released after INFR1U in the form of an expansion set, because the team can't afford to work on something like S:AH at the moment.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I remember hearing about some huge ships like 6 years ago.  I think they were the Gargant and Icanus.  Did they ever make it into an official campaign?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Icanus is in INFR1.
The Gargant isn't anywhere.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Luis Dias

The Gigas is there, though.

I know that they are redoing it based upon the Rakshasa model.

But the rakshasa model is being remade... and I dare say that the new model would be much better for this job than the present one... just a thought.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
We have our own Gigas HTL model, FYI.

-R

Offline Luis Dias

Thumbs up !

Offline starlord

steadfast and dreamcatcher are still being considered if I recall correctly...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well, not really.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline starlord

oh, is steadfast dead? no, only in hibernation, isn't it?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's a rather undefined type of hybernation. It uses a mix of FS1, FS2 and INFR1 ships, which will be hard to maintain in INFR1U. A very good thing about Steadfast is that the time and effort devoted to it have proved (and are proving) to be very useful for INF.
The Lightblue Ribbon