Author Topic: Fallout Online's future in doubt as Interplay crumbles  (Read 5782 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Fallout Online's future in doubt as Interplay crumbles
as he's never apologized for any of it,

True.

nor has he ever returned to interact with the community in a positive manner.

Not true. He has been back. It was all pretty civil.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
He did come back and he was indeed pretty cool. In fact things were going quite well until certain HLP members started giving him guff. Then he just packed up and left instead of retaliating.

Offline Luis Dias

Soooooo what did he do to infuriate people so much? (not much aware of this part of HLP history)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
At one point, he wanted to buy the rights to the FS franchise. The relevant threadflamewar can be found in the Classics section. He also had a reputation for storming into every forum where his name was mentioned, flaming people, and leaving again (Back when the internet was small, and his games moderately successful, or at least, moderately known).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
At one point, he wanted to buy the rights to the FS franchise. The relevant threadflamewar can be found in the Classics section.
Yeah. As I recall, he didn't even start the **** with the FreeSpace fans here, they started it with him while he retaliated that time.

EDIT: In fact, what seems to be close to bashing him for several, several pages before he has his first post can be found in the classics section.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:01:33 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Luis Dias

I'll have a look into it. I like flamewar voyeurism.

He did come back and he was indeed pretty cool. In fact things were going quite well until certain HLP members started giving him guff. Then he just packed up and left instead of retaliating.

Ah.  I may have been inactive at the time, then.  If that's the case, then Hades' analogy is better than I thought.

Offline Luis Dias

Well it didn't happen, and until someone from HLP gets the lottery, I don't think that the current "status quo" will ever change.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
[Srsbsns] There was no C&C 4. [/Srsbsns]

Seriously. Tiberium Wars and it's slightly less awesome expansion pack where the last two entries in the franchise in my book.

...aaand that's what we'd be saying of FS2 if EA got FS3, I'm betting.   :ick:

EA also did the excellent C&C3 and helped publish ME2. By any sane account they're one of the least repulsive big, stable publishing houses.

Getting mad at EA is so...four years ago. It's the Riccitiello era now.

Dragon Age 2
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Blame the developer, not the publisher. That was ALL Bioware, as far as I've read.

Offline Luis Dias

It could be the case that they were rushed to do the job by EA.

Perhaps it motivated EA to delay ME3 to get it "top notch".

Offline Coli

THQ would be a good call to buy it up, but i'm curious how much interest there is to buy the Freespace license. However, there are at least several other games that Interplay holds, well, hostage, that deserve to be continued. I believe Planescape Torment was among them for instance.

For the record, the Planescape IP (and any other D&D setting) is the property of Wizards of the Coast, not Interplay. Considered the franchise has been buried officially in the last century, I doubt we'll be seeing anything vaguely related to Planescape ever again.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
To my recollection Crysis doesn't have any DRM (ed: on steam, iirc) beyond a five simultaneous activation limit. You can also get it on Steam, which yes, I would absolutely love.

One thing the original Crysis was notorious for was a DRM scheme would actually break a legitimately purchased DVD's installation process. That's right, you could go out and pay $50 for a game and have it NOT work because the publisher wanted to punish you for daring to buy their product. Granted that was 2007. 
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key