Author Topic: Revenge via SCP Launcher  (Read 7886 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Revenge via SCP Launcher
Well.

That crash is due to a formatting error in a tbl somewhere, specifically, ships.tbl. What you need to do in order to figure out where the error is is to create a debug_filter.cfg in FS2\data, and add the line "+Parse" (or, if there's a line with "-Parse", change it to "+Parse"). This will bloat the log, but it will tell you exactly where in parsing the error is.
cheers the e when i get home and have a mug of tea ready i will try that
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Double post

Ok thought this deserved a new post.  using The E's suggested filter I was able to track down the issue to a bad turret pbank default.  with that sorted it was possible to log and fix the remaining compatibility issues that have plagued this mod.  The fixed tables are below and no issues reported on fs2_open_3_6_13d_INF_SSE2-20110512_r7180.exe.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Well, since there really are no shown warnings at start-up I think you have to admit that headdie has done a good job. Also at this point I really want to thank you headdie for at last putting effort in this problem! Thumbs up for you  :yes: :yes: :yes:

But still, earth does not fire it's beam canon like it should and I tried debug, too. And I think the result of that is our missing beam-fire, because it's the only error left when I load the mission and I#m very sure that this is it:

Could not find a usable beam section (2) bitmap (beam-white1) for weapon 'Zeuson-Beam'!

<no module>! KiFastSystemCallRet
<no module>! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
<no module>! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
<no module>! Warning + 430 bytes
<no module>! weapon_load_bitmaps + 936 bytes
<no module>! weapons_page_in + 488 bytes
<no module>! level_page_in + 66 bytes
<no module>! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 206 bytes
<no module>! game_post_level_init + 182 bytes
<no module>! game_start_mission + 387 bytes
<no module>! game_enter_state + 482 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
<no module>! game_process_event + 242 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 782 bytes
<no module>! WinMain + 330 bytes
<no module>! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
<no module>! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
<no module>! RegisterWaitForInputIdle + 73 bytes

I think when that problem is solved, we can also mark this whole topic beeing solved.
The best thing about it: I can play it in any of the two languages I want. Both, german and english, work! Obviously because the original missions are still in the FreeSpace2/data/missions. And It does not matter whether I have german or english missions in that folder or if I choose the newer revenge.vp from Freespacemods an select that with the launcher.

But maybe we can keep the topic open for the following reason:
I will definitely play Revenge til the end, and this way I can check the whole mod for more "hidden errors" like this beam-issue.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One question.

Did you put the revenge files (missions and tables etc) all in the mediavps directory or the data directory in the FS2 folder?

If so, please don't do that. We have the mod system for a reason, and something that messes with tables should be put in a separate mod folder. Please create a folder named "revenge" in your FS2 directory. Then, create a folder named "data" in that, and put all the Revenge stuff there, creating the required subdirectories as you go.

Then, create a text file named "mod.ini" in the revenge directory. Copy the following text into it:
Code: [Select]
[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_3612;

Then select the revenge folder in the Launcher's mod tab.

That way, you can play Revenge without creating issues for other mods.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Alright. But unfortunally this didn't fix the beam problem of mission 30... same message. Everything else does work (including f.e. fsport).

EDIT:  Some interesting news.

I figured out, that the error mentioned above shows up in every mission where a Zeuson beam appears (not a big deal, I know). But the strange thing is, this particular beam did work on ships in those missions. So nevertheless there is this strange error, the missions worked totally fine and the Zeuson beam looks really nice (I attach two gif's to show how it suppose to look like).

Now this seems to be the same weapon used in mission 30, where "the earth image in the background" should use this, since it is exactely the same error message. So I think it would look exactly like the Zeuson beams on the cap-ships do. The last thing I remember from the first time I played this is, that this earth-beam was bigger than normal... probably, maybe I'm wrong.

So why does this mission not utilize the Zeuson beam since it worked in other missions?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:47:09 pm by Phobos D. Deimos »

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Could not find a usable beam section (2) bitmap (beam-white1)

this is a missing image file used with the weapon,  two possible fixes for this.  The normally optimum fix is to find the missing file, the alternative is to change the entry in the table but with this it is probable that the visuals will change.

Well, but where can I find such a file? I don't think this is a common bmp image file which I just have to copy from one folder to another. Aren't they packed in other hughe files?
This puzzle piece has to be somewhere, all the data from FS2 does exist (at least on the CDs) and all the data the creator of Revenge used is also there.
So where is it  :confused:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The name sounds like a beam effect that you could find in INFR1.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Why should Revenge use a file from Inferno? That does not make much sense.
But we could give that file a chance.

Since the Zeuson beam does somehow work, I don't know how or why it actually does, we could tell mission 30 to do everything like in those missions? Just getting it somehow fireing that damn thing! Grrrrrr... I don't understand this! There it works on the cap-ships but here it does not  :banghead:  Maybe someone could edit the mission and at least place a Mjolnir sentri near earth and let that thing fire the Zeuson.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Why should Revenge use a file from Inferno? That does not make much sense.
But we could give that file a chance.
Mods raiding each others resources is nothing new and a fact that in all likely hood not change, and inferno had a long streak of being the "cool" mod, a lot like BP is today.

Since the Zeuson beam does somehow work, I don't know how or why it actually does, we could tell mission 30 to do everything like in those missions? Just getting it somehow fireing that damn thing! Grrrrrr... I don't understand this! There it works on the cap-ships but here it does not  :banghead:  Maybe someone could edit the mission and at least place a Mjolnir sentri near earth and let that thing fire the Zeuson.

From the age of the mod the first thing to check is that the beam free SEXPs are correct.

Mods raiding each others resources is nothing new and a fact that in all likely hood not change, and inferno had a long streak of being the "cool" mod, a lot like BP is today.

Contra argument: It worked in the past with the retail and it probably still does and I never used Inferno.
Even if he had utilized Inferno, all the needed files should be there. Maybe the missing file can be extraced from or be found in his modded root_fs2.vp ?

From the age of the mod the first thing to check is that the beam free SEXPs are correct.

Is this something I can do on my own?
And if nothing helps, how about the mjolnir-idea?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What headdie meant was that the guy who made Revenge took a file from Inf and integrated it into his modpack. It happens all the time.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I just opened the event editor on mission 30 and their are 19 events named "event name" of the rest are named 1 to 6 :rolleyes:  reading through, all but the last event name are fire beams with varying repeat counts. and the numbers are message sends.

The issue though is that the Zeuson is limited to 4,000m with a +weapon range: and 48,000m by the other stats and the distance needed to cross is 889139 meters. :wtf:

As a matter of interest, the Beams from "Earth" are from 12 Mjolnirs equipped with the weapon with a planet image in the background. 

As a fix I have duplicated the weapon expanding the range to a sufficient degree and modified the mission so the Mjolnirs to use that, see the file below for the fixes.  This one contains everything from the download I am working from with the amendments.

Hmm... no noticable change so far. Does the fix notice my usage of the TAG-missiles, as it's the way the mission has to be completed? It seems to me like the "earth beams" just ignore me...

The debug mode shows the same warning again while loading the mission. The only new thing is that he now speaks of a "Zeuson-Earth" in the first line... is that due to your fix?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
A long time ago I worked on fixing the quality of the English used in Revenge.  Most of the first two campaigns have been cleaned up.  The English is in the link below much better than the original, though that isn't saying much.  These files might be of use to you.

download link
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Well then.
I tried all the stuff uploaded here.
I tried it in combination with the mediavp_3610 and _3612.
I tried to use it without mediavp.
I tried to copy the different missions 30 from one mod to annother.
I tried debugging stuff, but that led me only backwards to some combinations showing again 185 warnings.
I think I ran out of Ideas.

The only new thing I noticed is: When I use Polaris missiles, it shows "Fringe Artillery" in the communication section on top of the screen. And when I use them on the targets in mission 30, earth sais I marked a target for them and they are going to open fire, just like when I use the Tag missiles; although those Polaris missiles suppose to destroy subsystems... The only difference is, that the Tag really makes the red target turn yellow for a while (like it's supposed to do) the polaris however does not.

Neighter the one nor the other way makes earth shot the zeuson beam. As I said, they just seem to ignore me. And because of that my question:
Is there maybe the link between my tag missiles and the beam-platform missing? Does this whole TAG-thing need some extra attention from somebody?? From a modder or from the player?

Since I finally wanted to continue I use the cheats to destroy the targets, read every Information shown and then proceed to the following missions. Up to now (mission 37) there's nothing I can complain about... Too bad this one particular mission refuses to work here. But I will go on checking the rest of the game.
And maybe I'll finde a solvable problem!

-- Mainly solved --

See first post.