Author Topic: SPECULATION: Origin of the Ancients  (Read 6990 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: SPECULATION: Origin of the Ancients
Shivans seems to have spared Knossoses (sp) on purpose. You never see them attacking those, and they even have one active in one of their systems (the binary beyond the nebula).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Drogoth

Shivans seems to have spared Knossoses (sp) on purpose. You never see them attacking those, and they even have one active in one of their systems (the binary beyond the nebula).

Yeah agreed, which is why i didn't mention the knossos in my original post, they are of special significance. But I still find it unlikely that they would have wiped out every single possible piece of space borne infrastructure. I don't think the GTVA has found the home system, or even really the deep core systems of the Ancient's empire yet
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yes. I agree. I don't really think Antares being the home world of the Ancients has a lot going for it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well. Planet of origin and galactic seat of power aren't always the same.

cough gtva cough cough.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
There would be at least one surviving piece of pottery on Antares if it was their home world, no? There was nothing on Antares, at all.

Offline LoneKnight

• One does not simply ALT-J into Mordor.
Don't forget that in several of the FS1 Ancients Monologues, they explain that upon discovering subspace technology, they discovered countless other races and systems. Provided how spread out (reasonably) sentient live would seem to be, we would assume that the Ancients traveled across distances much more expanse than the current starmap. Suggesting that Antares was the epicenter of their empire, I feel like there would be considerable more ruins throughout known systems.

As already mentioned, considering the higher amount of ruins in Altair, it should be considered that this region of space was probably closer to their epicenter, if indeed their empire still had an epicenter at all. Considering their technological skills such as creating and stabilizing jump nodes, they could have "opened up shop" literally anywhere.
Burning Heaven

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Don't forget that in several of the FS1 Ancients Monologues, they explain that upon discovering subspace technology, they discovered countless other races and systems. Provided how spread out (reasonably) sentient live would seem to be, we would assume that the Ancients traveled across distances much more expanse than the current starmap. Suggesting that Antares was the epicenter of their empire, I feel like there would be considerable more ruins throughout known systems.
Uh, if I remember right,it was stated that they colonised the planets in their systems. Then they discovered subspace. Then they began to conquer other systems and discovered other species.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The point that they probably had a much larger empire than the extent of GTVA space still stands.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Good point. Which means that their empire probably started somewhere else in the galaxy? Or is it possible that since the position of stars shift over time, parts of their empire are scattered all over the place through out the galaxy?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The relative proximity of stars in space has no bloody influence in the matter. We don't go from star system from star system "on foot". Only the jump node network matters.

However, it is absolutely possible that jump nodes naturally form and collapse and hence the node network might have been completely different during the Ancient Empire than nowadays.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Drogoth

Uh, if I remember right,it was stated that they colonised the planets in their systems. Then they discovered subspace. Then they began to conquer other systems and discovered other species.

It said 'and we traveled faster and farther, spreading in our galaxy. And before long, we could see the day where our reachable systems would have been exploited, and then, there would be no where else to go. And we discovered subspace, it gave us our galaxy, and it gave us the universe..'

They went beyond their home system, just as we might be able to colonize say Alpha Centauri (if it had habitable planets) as it's  just over four light years away from Sol. That's a manageable distance to colonize assuming you could reach velocities comparable to light.

Subspace just let them go to other systems even faster
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
But the Shivans may also have known about the Knossos all along and just wanted to keep it intact for their own reasons.

Nevertheless, Drogoth is right. The Ancients were spread far and wide throughout the galaxy, and they could have undiscovered relics everywhere. Who knows what other technology they might have had that the GTVA would find useful. The only problem is the GTVA is unlikely to put forth that much effort into discovering this technology. The Knossos was discovered by chance.

Also, someone said that the positions of star systems has nothing to do with the node network. Now why is that?
Don't star systems form nodes to nearby gravitational bodies, which would mean only nearby star systems? If that were so, as the positions of star systems change over time, nodes would collapse when stars got too far away and others would form to closer stars. Thus, the network would change over time.

Which throws my hypothesis for the Ancient homeworld out the window.

EDIT: Aw crap everything I said has already been said.  :banghead:

EDIT: Well we know the Ancient homeworld was "close" to vasuda and we also know that the position of stars changes over time, so all one would have to do is make a model of the Milky Way and see where Vasuda was 8000 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:11:42 pm by FlamingCobra »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
A good point has been made here though. We do know that at least some ancients were in GTVA space before they moved out through Gamma Draconis

Offline Drogoth

A good point has been made here though. We do know that at least some ancients were in GTVA space before they moved out through Gamma Draconis

Now that you said that, a new theory hit me. Maybe they moved IN through Gamma Drac? (perhaps they had discovered the system long ago, but never colonized? Built the Knossos to sustain the node even if it should one day collapse..?) Perhaps they were fleeing the Shivans out through Gamma Drac, set up some quiet colonies in the Altair/Deneb area hoping that they had evaded detection, encountering the Vasudans along the way?

That would seem to make sense judging by the severe lack of Ancients technology floating around GTVA systems, and the small numbers of ruins would be consistent with new colonies rather then established words. Also, you'd think there'd be  Shivan wreckage floating around during the T-V war if the GTVA had been around established ancient worlds, but the GTA and PVE find ZERO evidence of the Shivans during the 14 year war, and as of yet, still haven't found any. I'm wondering if that's maybe because the Lucifer Fleet found the ancients little colonies, wiped them out, and then continued roaming the galaxy looking for more escaped ancients?

That would help to explain why there were no evidence of Shivans in GTVA space - they never had to fight sustained campaigns there. And then the Lucifer Fleet maybe cycled back around, discovering the Terrans and Vasudans?

I have a weird memory of someone from  :v: saying that they had considered including the ancients as a playable race in the third if they had actually made it, am I right or just completely and totally out to lunch? If so, that might be consistent with the ancients having far flung 'evacuee' colonies
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, the GTI knew about the Shivans early, as did McCarthy  -  there's just never been outright confirmation of how early they knew - conceivably they had revovered some 8000 year old Shivan stuff during the TV War.

FlamingCobra: Remember that astronomical proximity doesn't seem to matter when it comes to forming the subspace network, so stellar drift shouldn't matter. Subspace moves aroud a lot too - Even stable subspace nodes (the ones on the nodemap) will collapse over a long (but never specified) timeframe. The subspace map could have looked very different in 5600 BC. An additonal problem with the stellar drift idea is that Vasuda isn't a modern star name, and we have no idea which star it is.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Silent Threat suggests that they were aware earlier than the war began, possibly even talking to Shivans before then; the Hades incorporates a large variety of Shivan systems and even appears to have some Shivan pilots aboard.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
and even appears to have some Shivan pilots aboard.

le wat?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
le wat?

It launched Seraphim. Which performed entirely as Seraphim should, rather unlike the Dragon in Playing Judas. The time difference isn't that large; some kind of performance hit should have been in evidence still if they'd been chopjobbed like the Dragon.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Not that you could tell, with how **** the Seraphim handles.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It launched Seraphim.

Wait, when was this?