Author Topic: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense  (Read 25234 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense
DEtpacks. . . . . 2 Turns detonation delay.

Canihazkamikazechargeplox?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I'd quite like to be the guy left alone cowering on the third floor of a building during a night terror mission with one pistol clip, one grenade, surrounded, with two fatal wounds. 30 action points, and a medpack two squares away.........

1)  Prime grenade.
2)  Continue cowering.
3)  ???
4)  PROFIT GLORIOUS VICTORY!

Offline Shade

Part 2: First Blood

As we left the action last time, X-Com had just downed its first UFO, and was waiting for daybreak to launch a recovery operation. In this installment, we'll be assaulting the aforementioned UFO, seeing the Battlescape for the first time. Of course, there is also the victorious interceptor itself to consider...

There are no freebies here. Weapons require ammunition, and expended ammunition must be replenished from base stores. If you don't have enough, you get a screen like this. In this case I don't give a damn, though. I sold all my Stingray ammo for a reason, and that reason is that as soon as I get my shipment of new weapons, I will never use them again. This does mean that this interceptor will start any further air combats between now and then with less than a full weapons load, but that's ok. Anything that would require a full load to down is likely to wipe the floor with even a fully prepared interceptor at this point anyway - the range on Stingrays is simply too short to safely engage most larger enemies.

Day breaks over Europe, and with it my Skyranger takes to the air carrying a recovery team bound for a rural area just outside Bonn where the alien ship crash landed. Close one, that. This is 1999, so Bonn is still the seat of government for the united Germany, and if the UFO had crashed on, say, the presidential residence or the Bundeshaus, uncomfortable questions were bound to be asked.

The mission briefing for a crash recovery mission. "Exercise caution" - those are wise words. There will always be some living aliens after a crash, and going in expecting to just hook a crane up to the wreckage and tow it back to base is a bit too optimistic.

Teal'c has hair! Sadly, X-Com is quite limited in squad appearances, and there are only four male and four female faces. Aside from Ripley who just had to be the one with the best stats, I fitted the names of the agents to their appearances as well as possible. You only see them on this screen, though. In mission, everyone's a blonde caucasian, so that bit of attention to detail was a bit of a waste.

Anyway, Teal'c and the other four agents each get their trusty pistol plus one spare clip. I didn't even have to equip them, as the XcomUtil patch included an option to automatically distribute equipment. If I make any changes from this loutout, those will also be stored and automatically applied on the next mission if I have kept the same kit on the Skyranger. In the unpatched game, I would have started with all items in the bottom section labelled "ground", and would need to equip my agents from scratch in every. single. mission. This is better.

The arrows in the top right cycle left/right between agents, with the left-most starting closest to the exit ramp of the transport and moving further away as you cycle further right. It loops around, though, so that is only good for reference if you have a starting point. The first agent you see is always the one closest to the ramp. The order follows the order of the squad list you see in your base, so in my case, Teal'c and Carter are on point duty, followed by Ripley, Zoe and finally O'Neill.

Touchdown. What you can see on the battlescape is determined by line-of-sight from your agents, who have a 90° field of vision extending out to a range of twenty squares if unobstructed. Or out to a range of -eight- squares in darkness. Aliens have excellent night vision and can see for the full twenty squares in all lighting conditions, which is one reason why I avoid fighting at night where possible.

Given the Skyranger's lack of windows, I only have clear vision out the back, and will be blind to any enemies on the side or rear as I exit the craft. Becasue of that and a few other factors, initial deployment is probably the most dangerous phase of any ground mission. Fortunately the UFO we're recovering is a very small one with a minimal crew, so the risk of being ambushed as I step outside is small.

On the other hand, I have been quite unlucky with the terrain around my Skyranger. While I can't see much yet, it is clear that there are at least two buildings surrounding my landing site. These are great places for aliens to hide, and notoriously dangerous to clear. I much prefer open grass where aliens can be engaged from a safe distance and where they won't be stepping out from a small cubbyhole to shoot you in the back. Ah well.

As soon as I step outside and turn to check the immediate area, Carter spots the UFO. As you can see, it is tiny. This is, in fact, a one-man craft and the smallest enemy ship in the game - a good first engagement to cut my teeth on. The purple light underneath it is a grav-beam offering access to the inside, so while it is all but certain that the pilot has left before we arrived on the scene, I will still have to keep it covered. Just in case.

In the end, as can be seen from the map screen, it turns out that there are no less than three buildings around my landing site, any of which could hold the alien. The X off to the right is the UFO itself. If this had been a bigger UFO, this could easily turn into a disaster. As it is, it is merely very dangerous.

The map also clearly shows the line-of-sight rules in action. Windows allow me to see parts of the inside of some of the buildings, but they are mostly obscured to me. Likewise, the twenty-square sight limit is also clearly apparent. Low hedges and stone walls allow me to see over them, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a crouched alien hiding behind them - just being able to see the terrain doesn't necessarily mean that the terrain is free of aliens.

I manage deploy my forces without incident, and without spotting the UFO's pilot. I spread out my forces enough that they aren't likely to get hit by stray shots aimed at another agent, and try to keep all directions covered. Ripley, Teal'c and Zoe set up to cover the three buildings, while Carter keeps watch over the UFO she spotted earlier. O'Neill, meanwhile, keeps the rear covered in case the alien should come around the corner of the northern-most building.

Later in the game when I have acquired some armor for my troops, a spread out deployment like this would also keep any neighbours safe in case anyone attracts a grenade attack. Without armor, though, even the very fringe of the blast from an alien grenade would be enough to cripple or kill an agent, so at this point I can only hope that no grenades will be used against me.

Regardless, this is all I can do at this point. No alien has been spotted, and I'm keeping all angles covered by troops with enough time units left for reaction fire.

Reaction fire? Ah, yes. See, if your agent (or an alien) has time units remaining during the opponent's turn, they may be able to use those time units to automatically take snap shots at an enemy who passes through their field of vision. This is why the initial deployment is so risky - everyone, including aliens, start the mission with full time units, so any alien facing the Skyranger when you exit it has a chance to take potshots at you before you even know they're there.

Whether they actually get to use those time units depends on a number of factors, primarily the reactions of both the shooter and the potential target. Hence why reactions is one of the most important stats in the game. It keeps you safe when moving (up to a point), and lets you pick off aliens during their turn.

But enough about that. Time to end the turn.

Spooky. It is always unnerving to watch this screen, as you know the aliens are doing -something-, but have no idea what. It does occasionally offer clues, though. If an alien moves into the field of vision of one of your agents, the hidden movement screen will give way and you'll see their actions as long as they are in sight. Additionally, there are audio clues from time to time which can prove helpful. If you hear a door opening, for example, and there is only one house on the current map, then you've narrowed down the location of at least one alien. Not enough to take it out, yet, but enough to box it in and make sure that if anyone is taken by surprise, it won't be you.

As it happens, no movement is spotted by my agents, and noone is fired at. This is both good and bad. Everyone survived the first alien turn, which is always great. On the other hand, I still have no clue where the alien is.

Turn two. As I'm moving Carter out to get a better view of the north-east, which was beyond sight range from her position covering he UFO, she comes under fire from behind. That green blob in the image is a plasma round, and almost certain death to an unarmoured agent. Fortunately, it misses. Wait, what? Behind? But I have two agents covering that side and they're still not seeing any aliens!

I turn Carter around hoping that she, at least, will be able to see her attacker. Turning in place doen't provoke reaction fire, so I can do this safely.

Ah. The roof. This is why I hate landing near buildings. The little gray guy there is a Sectoid, one of the weakest aliens I'm likely to meet. Not, however, one of the least dangerous. The Sectoids have certain other advantages to offset their physical weakness which make them quite fearsome in the right - or perhaps rather, in the wrong - situations.

At any rate, I now know the location of my enemy. Carter has a clear shot, should she choose to take it, but the pistol is a poor long range weapon, and even against a Sectoid it may well take more than one shot to kill it. And Carter only has enough TUs left for a single shot.

Now, if you look at the previous image, you can see the shadow of the Skyranger's wing on the ground. Instead of taking a shot at the alien which is unlikely to hit and uncertain to kill even if it does hit, and risk the alien taking another reaction shot at her afterwards, I choose to walk Carter three squares south to place the wing between her and the alien. Hoping all the while that this movement won't trigger another reaction shot.

It didn't. I also move my other troops into locations where they can't be targeted from the occupied roof... with the exception of Ripley.

Now Ripley, her I move into the occupied building itself. Over each of the next three turns, I pop Carter out one square to check the location of the alien on the roof, and then, having verified that it is still there rather than having headed down, pop Carter back into cover and then rush Ripley up through the building towards the roof.

Eventually, she ends up in this location, and even has enough time units to head up the stairs and take a shot at the alien's back. That is still risky though, as she might miss or fail to kill with the first shot. Ideally, I'd want her to have at least three shots worth of TUs for the ambush. So I move her aside so the alien won't spot her if it turns around, and wait another turn.

I am glad I did. Carter having once again verified the location of the alien, Ripley heads halfway up the stairs and gets to work. Ultimately it takes three shots to bring the alien down, one hit, one miss, and finally another hit which proved enough to kill it. Ripley has the highest reactions stat out of all my agents, which is probably why I managed not to attract any reaction shots in return. Shoot an alien in the back with an agent with low reactions, and chances are it will spin and shoot back if your first shot fails to kill.

But that did not happen. Instead, Ripley got her first kill, and X-Com managed to recover its first UFO. All in all, that went pretty well.

Given the size of the UFO, there wasn't a whole lot to recover. Still, any alien loot is most welcome at this point in the game. And even if it is something I don't currently need, I will be able to sell it to improve my ailing finances.

And of course, credit where it's due. Congratulations, Sgt. Ripley.

Thus ends part two. Barring a particular challenge, battle reports in future installments will probably be rather less detailed, since this one also needed to serve as an introduction. That said, in situations where I really have to fight for it, or want to explain something in detail, I will of course provide a step-by-step report.

[Edit] Images lvlshotted.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:36:39 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
How come you prefer the pistol to the rifle? which has greater damage, accuracy scores and has the advantage of auto mode?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Shade

I actually touched on that in part 1, though not in great detail:

I'm equipping the agents themselves with pistols at the moment, as their high rate of fire coupled with modest damage lends itself well to training two important stats... something my agents definitely need to do now while the aliens are still just getting started.

More specifically, you get to shoot more often, and aliens take more shots to kill. Early in the game, this is a good thing. Every single time you hit an alien, the game registers this as a successful use of firing accuracy. The same goes for every time you take a reaction shot, even if it misses, only it registers a successful use of reactions instead. If you take a reaction shot and hit, you get it for both reactions and firing accuracy. In addition, since reactions and firing accuracy are primary stats, boosting those will also boost my secondary stats, TUs, stamina, health and strength.

Because of this, using pistols in the early game while most aliens are still soft and squishy means my agents gain stats faster, in fact quite a lot faster if I take the time to work them out properly, and will be better able to deal with the tougher aliens that are to come.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:17:34 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
that makes sence

edit:

damn it, i have to start the game again
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:01:29 pm by headdie »
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This is great stuff.  :) I don't think this is a game I'd ever wind up playing myself, but this is definitely the next best thing.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I think I shall play UFO: Alien Invasion again. Speaking of which, I can't wait for Xenonauts to come out
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Someone tell me, should I play the original X-Com or get one of the spiritual successors like UFO? Ravenholme?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Someone tell me, should I play the original X-Com or get one of the spiritual successors like UFO? Ravenholme?

It's a bit of a hard one to answer really - Opinion is really divided over which is best. I don't like the official UFO games, and to them prefer the original X-Com series, but I do like the freeware UFO: Alien Invasion that I just mentioned.

I'd say give UFO: AI a bash, try X-Com, and if neither of those floats your boat, try some of the official UFO series. (UFO: AI is much more like X-Com)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

You should do both.

The originals are awesome games plain and simple.  Challenging combat that scales to your tech level with acceptable story depth and quick to learn/intuitive controls.
Games like the UFO series though the spiritual successor go off in new directions, especially 2 and 3 bring in very different styles of play with changes to the game mechanics that make them very different games to play, especially at the base and R&D management levels.

Theres another game due out soon called Xenonauts, which Ravenholme mentioned, that is going to play much like X-COM with a shinier UI and a different backstory. If, god forbid, you can't get into the original X-COM due to graphical issues, then waiting for that would be a decent idea, Batutta.

UFO: AI is also worth a look, and is free, though the game itself isn't complete yet. The Official UFO games are kind of a mixed bag - fun concepts, but intrusive DRM and multitudes of game breaking bugs. Afterlight isn't too bad though, and is on Steam.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Get the original two X-Com games, by far. I've played the UFO Afterblank games; they lack the tactical depth that X-Com had. UFO AI is kindasorta fun, but unfinished, unpolished, and the lack of an in-mission save feature pisses me off a great deal.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Looks like an interesting game... :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Looks like an interesting game... :)

Tell me you've heard of X-COM.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm... ok.

I've heard of X-COM.

ok so maybe I just lied...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmm... ok.

I've heard of X-COM.

ok so maybe I just lied...

Along with Deus Ex it's one of those games commonly cited as the best game ever made. Read up on it, it's real cool.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, so I'll have to check Deus Ex out as well then..

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hmm, so I'll have to check Deus Ex out as well then..

:wtf:

Well I suppose HT hasn't played Deus Ex either...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To be fair to jr2, I hadn't heard of either of these franchises until comparatively recently, and actually very recently when it comes to X-Com.  I don't think we even had a functioning computer when X-Com was released.