Author Topic: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense  (Read 25228 times)

Offline Shade

Re: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense
Everyone who hasn't played UFO: Enemy Unknown and has even the slightest interest in tactical/strategic games should definitely give it a chance. It is still worth paying for, much like FS2 is, despite its age.

The two sequels are also good games, but none of them quite manage to reach the heights of the first installment - Terror from the Deep was so difficult that it actually hurt the enjoyment of the game at times, and Apocalypse lacks the global scope found in this game and also introduced real-time combat which completely changed the feel of the game.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline newman

Yep Terror From the Deep could be a royal pain with it's ultra long multipart missions. Other than that the game is quite similar to UFO, but I do find UFO the better game since it has a better balanced fun/difficulty factor.
UFO: Enemy Unknown and Deus Ex are some of the best games ever made and a significant part of gaming history. Despite their age they're still a lot better than most of the stuff being put on the market today.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've still been known to dust off Interceptor once in. While :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

IIRC, I remember reading in the strategy guide that, for some reason, soldiers named Maria in UFO: Enemy Unknown tend to have better overall stats than other soldiers.

I know I'm reiterating what a lot of others have already said here, but this is definitely one of the best turn-based tactical combat games ever made. Personally, I found it to be one of the scariest games I'd ever played, so much so that it kept me awake at night a few times. UFO: AI is also worth a look too, even though it's incomplete (and less scary, perhaps due to the soundtrack that plays during combat).

There's also Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, which is pretty much a clone of this game, albeit without a management component (aside from equipping your squads) and research tree, but it's still good. Although it's difficult to get it running on a modern OS.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I like jump-jet arnour.

Chaos gate has a good soundtrack.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If I got around to installing the most recent version of UFO:AI, would people be interested in me doing something similar to Shade here? Although mine would be more to advertise the features of UFOAI, and I warn you that it's campaign is as yet incomplete so at some point I'll bump up against the glass ceiling where I can do no more.

To clarify, it'd be a new thread, I absolutely would not hijack Shade's.

Ah man, one engagement I had in a late game stage in UFO: AI came back to me there. Fighting your way along a dam populated with high tier aliens is not fun.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:19:48 am by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

The dam stage can be hard, since the aliens take so many shots at you as you try to get to cover.

XCom isn't abandonware yet, is it?

EDIT: another thing you might check out is UFO: The Two Sides, which is really a fan remake to have higher-res graphics, and as the name suggests, lets you play as aliens.

http://ufotts.ninex.info/
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

XCom isn't abandonware yet, is it?

Legitimate copies are pretty readily available at low price on Steam, Gamer's Gate, Impulse, and Amazon.  Also, if you were a PC Gamer subscriber back in July, 2000, you've got a full copy of the game on that issue's CD.

[edit] To further add to the list of games similar to X-COM, Silent Storm and its expansion pack offer pretty strong turn-based tactical combat.  There's flaws, such as a plot that leaps off the rails half way through the Silent Storm campaign, and the mech suits that break the game's balance like a pane of glass, but overall, they offer a pretty fun experience with tactical depth on-par with X-COM. [/edit]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:53:19 am by BlueFlames »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :nervous:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

I don't think that you should bother with the old x-com.
A new team has started work on a freeware pc game  that is already much better than x-com was.
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
A new team has started work on a freeware pc game  that is already much better than x-com was.

Been mentioned a few times :P
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Not only has that been discussed a lot but word is it it's not really better than the old X-COM.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The word is accurate.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Shade

Part 3: Best Intentions

We pick up where we left off last time, the heroic X-Com assault team having just returned from a successful UFO recovery mission.

Here, I'm selling off most of the loot I recovered from the mission. In fact, the only thing I'm keeping from it is the one unit of alien alloys. As for the rest of the artifacts, even though we haven't researched any of them yet, we can still see what they're called and how many of them we have in base stores. Given that it was a very small UFO we recovered, there isn't really a whole lot right now, but what we did get was just about the best of the best.

The mind probe is one of, if not the most profitable item you can get from a UFO, so my ailing economy is very glad to see one of those. After researching them, they are also very handy for a different reason: They can be used in-mission to see the stats and rank of an alien. For its part, the heavy plasma is by far the most powerful hand-held direct fire weapon in the game. If that thing had hit Carter when the alien fired its reaction shot at her, it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference even if she -had- been wearing armour. And we got that off the very first alien aboard the very first UFO. Welcome to Superhuman.

So why am I selling it, then, if it is one of the best weapons in the game? Three reasons. First, I don't need it yet - aliens are still fairly weak, and my current weapons will deal with them just fine. Second, I need the money. Oh boy, do I need the money. And third, I'd need to research it before I could use it, which would take a long time. In that time, I can research a number of other technologies instead which I can then put to use, giving my troops a better chance to survive until the point where I might actually -need- the heavy plasma.

With my newfound wealth I head straight over to the purchase screen to flesh out my armoury a bit. Pistols are great starting weapons, if rather short-lived, but there's always the risk that some situation will come up where you need more serious fírepower. I supplement my pistols with a second rocket launcher in addition to the one I kept from my starting stocks, and finally buy some ammo for them: Heavy rockets and incendiaries, enough for a full mission load plus a set of spares for each launcher.

Additionally, I grab some high explosives which, while quite heavy and difficult to throw far, are pretty much the only offensive grenade-type weapon worth using and great for those emergencies where only total demolition of everything in the immediate area will do. Finally, I add some electro-flares in case I'm forced into a night mission. Be prepared, that's my motto. Well ok, it is actually the Scout motto, but it applies very well indeed to playing X-Com as well.

Luckily, nothing more happens before my weapon shipments begin to trickle in. Finally, I'm able to equip a full squad. Admittedly, only with pistols as yet, and my tank isn't here yet either, but it is a start. And the rest of the shipments won't be all that far behind.

And there is the real firepower. I now have the means to deal with pretty much anything the early game is likely to throw at me. In theory, at any rate. While decently armed, my troops are still wearing just coveralls, and getting them into some armour is going to be a priority since that might just let me make the occasional mistake without instantly losing an agent. Still no tank. Tanks take the longest to ship out of any items you can purchase. I suppose the shipping company might be having a bit of trouble passing them through customs... I certainly wouldn't want to declare a main battle tank to the airport customs officer.

Those items arrived not a moment too soon. Not ten hours later, another UFO shows up on X-Com's radar scopes. Another very small UFO, and guess what, it's night time again. Unfortunately, between the arrival of the pistols and the arrival of the heavy weapons, I also recieved my avalanche missiles and promptly replaced all previous craft weapons with them. So I can't shoot this one down without destroying it.

On the other hand, I did also recieve my shipment of electro-flares. And given that this UFO type has only a single occupant, it might be a decent opportunity for demonstrating why night missions are a whole different ballgame from daylight missions. Plus, another 500k of sales income would not hurt my economy one bit either. I order the Skyranger into action.

The fact that this UFO is numbered two is a good thing. UFOs are numbered consecutively, even if you can't see them, so this being number two means I haven't missed any between the first one and this.

One neat thing about intercepting UFOs in X-Com is that you can also order your craft to simply hang back and follow at a safe distance, and then minimize the air combat window and let time pass. In this case, as you can see from the top-left of the screen, I have both my Skyranger (top) and an interceptor (bottom) tailing the UFO. When doing this, the moment the UFO lands the Skyranger will then swoop down and initiate a ground assault without my having to order it in. Very handy.

The interceptor is there in case the UFO starts accelerating instead of landing. A slow moving UFO which is not engaged in combat will generally, if planning to leave, accelerate in a number of stages instead of going straight to top speed, which gives you a chance to react and take it down before it leaves... assuming you have an interceptor or other combat craft in close enough proximity to engage before the UFO reaches too high a speed for them to follow.

Unfortunately, accelerate it did, and I was forced to have my interceptor pulverize it a little north and west of Oslo, Norway. Bye bye, 500k cash. At least I avoided the bloody night mission, though.

Next midnight, my laser weapons research team produced results. Yay.

Unfortunately, developing the base technology is one thing. I still need to weaponize it in a compact and portable manner, which is a seperate research topic from the laser tech itself. This shouldn't take too long though, as in the meantime I've had a batch of twenty more scientists arrive, effectively tripling my research speed. A couple of days, at most, and I should be able to start construction of laser pistols.

I can barely wait.

Thus ends part three. This was a bit of a letdown, really, with the UFO deciding to run for it rather than landing, and spoiling the night mission demo I was hoping to do. But in X-Com, not everything goes to plan. And besides, it is the thought that counts, right?

[Edit] Images lvlshotted.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:38:25 pm by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And besides, throwing twenty-five million chemical flares isn't much fun.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Shade

Part 3.5: The Followup

After the last update, nothing much happened for a few days action-wise, but a few important things did happen back in my base.

When a new item is available for production, you get this information screen. Yep, I can now produce laser pistols. They are a superior weapon for the early game, and never become completely useless even at the very end. Lasers have a unique advantage over all other weapons, including alien tech, in that they do not require ammunition. Further, even the pistol, being the weakest of this weapon line, has enough power to at least scratch most opponents, and even benefits from being capable of fully automatic fire. While still retaining the low TU requirements and relatively low weight of a pistol.

As soon as I have manufactured some, I will start bringing them along on missions to supplement my standard pistols in situations where those might not get the job done.

Having handed the lasers off to the production department, I get my scientists working on that unit of alien alloys I kept after the first ground mission. Maybe it'll prove useful for developing some armour...

And here is where said manufacturing takes place - The production screen. You can have several projects going at once, but since this is the early game, I only have the one thing I can produce. On this screen, you get an overview of the aforementioned projects, as well as info about the number of engineers assigned to each item, the number of items already build and the total requested, the cost per unit, and the time left until completion of the project.

In this case, I've set the number to be produced rather higher than I needed. I only need ten to fully equip my squad, so why the extras? To avoid engineer downtime, and make a little bit of money. Many manufactured items in X-Com can be sold for a profit, and the laser pistol is among them. The profit in this case is not great, but it is enough that the engineers can pay for their own keep and add a small trickle of cash to my coffers, and I'll take anything I can get.

Finally, you can see how much workshop space is available. Each workshop has a total space of fifty, and each working engineer takes up one space. Yet the space remaining reads thirty-eight. The thing is, projects themselves also take up space. The laser pistol being built now takes up two, so the impact is small, but later on when we start building larger items such as tanks or fighters, two or even three workshops can be required in order to just fit enough engineers in there along with the item being worked on to get a decent rate of progress.

Speaking of engineers, ten of them don't really work very fast, but they are expensive, I am not deperate for the laser pistols yet, and most importantly I simply don't have room for any more until the new living quarters finish. So ten it is.

Finally, my tanks arrived, and earlier so did my last two soldiers, so I can now kit out my Skyranger as I intended it to be. Ten troops, one rocket tank and various extra gear and weapons. No armour yet, but we'll get there soon enough.

X-Com is now ready for the real action.

[Edit] Images lvlshotted.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:45:38 pm by Shade »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I like that ending phrase. It pretends to be upbeat. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

Not only has that been discussed a lot but word is it it's not really better than the old X-COM.

The word is correct. Still, is a good bit of fun.

Ahhh, X-COM is ready to die in glorious battle with the Aliens threatening Earth.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:12:46 pm by Ravenholme »

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Huh.  Prior to seeing this thread, I had never even heard of this game.

Now I want to play it, and badly.

Is there anywhere to get it legally for free?  I can't really afford to pay for it, and I'll go without if necessary, but it'd be nice.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
It is literally like 15 bucks for the entire X-Com series off Steam, or 5 bucks for UFO Defense individually.

A Feddie Story