Poll

Do you think Volition and THQ will buy back Freespace (read below before voting!)

Yes, I sure hope so
33 (45.8%)
Maby
19 (26.4%)
nope
20 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 16, 2002, 03:08:19 pm

Author Topic: There is still hope for official Freespace 3!  (Read 11261 times)

Offline Razor

There is still hope for official Freespace 3!
Oh no!! Not this time people. I am not falling for this old prank again!!! :mad2:

Boy,.... you guys are smart!! :headz:

Offline Razor

Originally posted by Unkown Target
THERE WILL NOT BE A ****ING FS3!!!!!!!
DAMN NEWBIES, YAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*pulls out kipper gun*
*eyes Stargazer_2098[/i] hungrily*
*Immediately turns him into BBQ'd chicken*
Yummmm!!

Razor gets behind UT and says:
"Don't worry we understand you."

Kicks UT in the a** and UT flies back to the place where was once VBB.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Originally posted by NotDefault
Although the Freespace community does not count for much in sales, it has some other benefits.

Modding.  FS3 would quickly be attacked by modelers and mission creators, and this does count for something in reviews.

Word-of-mouth advertising.  The FS community is very dedicated to the game.  I'm sure it would get around that FS3 was coming out, and how great it would be.

Not only that, but Volition has said that they would make FS3 if given the opportunity.  It doesn't hurt to have your programmers dedicated towards the project (unlike, say, a Britney Spears game).

The highly positive reviews for FS and FS2 will help, as well.  The FS franchise is definately on the radar screen of review sites.  They would spend a little extra time looking into it, at least.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, FS3 would actually lend itself quite nicely to console gaming.  There would have to be some changes (shield strength modification would likely have to be eliminated in favour of automatic constant equalization), but overall the experience would work well on a console.  It also works well on a PC (and THQ knows this because of the first two games).  Perhaps some sort of XBox crossover could be done; I don't know much about console development, but I thought that the XBox had a development enviroment that was very similar to that for Windows.

Then consider that this could all be done for a dirt-cheap price because Interplay is desperate.  I voted Yes, because I think if THQ has any sense they'll buy the franchise (even if they don't use it right away).

*sigh* I guess you wouldn't be to know...

I've seen what happens to games when separate companies buy the rights. It's never pretty, and it's never very much like the original- 's like re-releasing your favorite movie (TV show, whatever, I don't follow much of that) with a completely new director, different cast, different plot and scriptwriters, using different props, all going for a completely different sort of production. Companies rarely feel the need to stay faithful to the original vision, and even if they do, they're not very successful very often. I should know...

THOSE BASTARDS AT ZUXXEZ TURNED MY E2150 INTO AN RPG!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And it's not the only example, though it's the one that remains freshest in the mind, in the same way that salt on a wound tends to linger...

Just because Volition supported modding doesn't mean any new producer would. It's entirely up to the publisher, and despite all the very good reasons for a mod-friendly game, most publishers don't like to make their games so. And Volition wouldn't be making it again- they're working for THQ now, and THQ wouldn't be interested. Even if they were, they'd likely change it completely to fit the sort of things THEY make, which is very different from what Volition and Interplay generally dealt in. Hope, pray nobody buys the rights to FreeSpace. If you think that having no sequel is bad, imagine how much worse having a distorted abomination calling itself a sequel which does not even slightly resemble the orignal would be... That's the sort of catastrophe that kills gaming communities, though the original remains.

Offline Razor

I don't see any good reason to make the Freespace 3 for consoles.

Reasons for not making it on consoles:

Consoles suck! If I remember, X Box has a CPU on 750 Mhz which is nothing compared to a high End PC.

Graphics  on consoles can't even get close to those on the PC

No internet, so no multiplayer

No MODing so we would be very dissapointed I guess

Playing the same campaign over and over, so you won't be able to make missions (no FRED 3)

Consoles don't have enough...eeeh...buttons for all Freespace commands

Any other reasons?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Razor
I don't see any good reason to make the Freespace 3 for consoles.

Reasons for not making it on consoles:

Consoles suck! If I remember, X Box has a CPU on 750 Mhz which is nothing compared to a high End PC.

... and its all in hardware, so its a hell of a lot faster.

Graphics  on consoles can't even get close to those on the PC

... because the console is usually attached to a television, and makes good use of that medium, not the medium of your high res (and more expensive) monitor

...except the LAN port on my DreamCast and the japanese one for PS2...

No MODing so we would be very dissapointed I guess

Playing the same campaign over and over, so you won't be able to make missions (no FRED 3)

...so what is that hard drive attached to the LAN expansion for the PS2 for? Or did you mean exclusively fan made missions?

Consoles don't have enough...eeeh...buttons for all Freespace commands

...except ten buttons, two analog sticks, an analog D-pad, and two spare buttons are enough for pretty much anything...

Somewhere I lost the reasons it couldn't be done.

Of course it WON'T be done. Volition will A) not buy the rights and B) not make on the Freespace game even if they could. The market for it is gone. If having the Babylon5 license attached to a space sim couldn't get a game out the door despite the large builtin market (space-sim fans and Babylon5 fans), what chance does some paltry independent like Freespace have? Give up.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Razor

It is clear to me that you are a console fan. :rolleyes:

And besides, :v: would make Freespace 3 if they would get the rights for it. DaveB talked about it on the Volition watch forums and said that the :v: guys are willing to present new ideas for the game if they could make it.

Anyway, I hope that it will be made (someday) but not for console because it just doesn't fit.
The previous 3 games were made for PC so why not make the next sequel for PCs too? ;)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
It is clear to me that you are a console fan. :rolleyes:

And besides, :v: would make Freespace 3 if they would get the rights for it. DaveB talked about it on the Volition watch forums and said that the :v: guys are willing to present new ideas for the game if they could make it.

Anyway, I hope that it will be made (someday) but not for console because it just doesn't fit.
The previous 3 games were made for PC so why not make the next sequel for PCs too? ;)

ME? Console fan? Nah. Just answering your rather unjust accusations about the medium. Whilst I have several consoles, I only play RPGs on them, so I can generally get away with a DPad and three buttons (two if 'menu' is the same as 'cancel' in the non combat mode). My point was simply that you can't negate consoles because YOU don't like them. Space sims have been done, and done well on them in the past, and likely will in the future.

HOWEVER. Freespace3? Don't hold your breath. Releasing the source was the white flag of surrender to the inevitible.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I personally wouldn't be much interested if it were made only for a console, unless it was really, really good.

Offline Grey Wolf

Let's play correct the post, shall we?
Originally posted by X-Files Addict
If FS3 came out, it would lack compared to FS2, because INterplay is a very high-tech company (ST: Bridge Commander, BG 2),
ST:BC was developed by Activision and Totally Games, and has nothing to do with IP. BG2 was developed by Bioware, but was published by IP. Hence, IP has no technology advantage there.
Originally posted by X-Files Addict and (V) would have a hard-time catching up. Although FS3 would probably come out, it would take a couple of years. [/B]
:V: wrote the engine, and still owns it, remember?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti

Yes but I think it has a very powerful video card

Except for the dreamcast, playstation 2, xbox, and gamecube...

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Originally posted by YodaSean

Except for the dreamcast, playstation 2, xbox, and gamecube...

And that'll take off right away

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
You people arguing the consoles seem to be missing the really important point- would you rather pay $35 to play FS3, or $475 to a few thousand?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Originally posted by Stryke 9
or $475 to a few thousand?

Would you explain where you got those numbers from

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
The top of my head. Last time I checked (sometime last week), an X-box was well over that lowest figure, and when game consoles are new they are up with my top number.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
But you didn't add in the price of the computer, to anyone who already has it, they ain't gonna pay twice

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I was assuming that, being online, everyone here already HAD access to a computer.:p

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
And that people who would buy the game might already have the console to go with it

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
'S not so safe to assume that- I don't have any console at all, and most of the computer gamers I know in RL don't, either. Besides which, video games are console-specific, so that while pretty much any old PC will do for a computer FS3, and thus everyone can get it, the odds that a majority of the people here will have the same game console isn't so good. THUS, it's safer to assume that not everyone has it, and that we'd have to buy the damned thing if we were gonna play console FS. Which I'm not planning on doing.

Offline Redfang

FS3 is not coming out, but if it would, it'd better be for a computer. A console indeed doesn't have enough keys for FS, and it's pad. That's enough for me.

And also, FRED, modding, and all that, is only for PC games.

The X-Box is powerful, with it's 733MHz CPU, and NV20A graphics card (which is like GF3Ti500 with 2 vertex shaders), but it still wouldn't be good for above reasons.

Offline Razor

I allready mentioned all that. You should read all the posts before you posted that one.