Poll

Do you think Volition and THQ will buy back Freespace (read below before voting!)

Yes, I sure hope so
33 (45.8%)
Maby
19 (26.4%)
nope
20 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: May 16, 2002, 03:08:19 pm

Author Topic: There is still hope for official Freespace 3!  (Read 11256 times)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
There is still hope for official Freespace 3!
also it happened to be the world's first shooter, so it was worth resurrecting
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Razor
I don't see any good reason to make the Freespace 3 for consoles.

I admit freespace has a hell of a lot of keys and other disadvantages that would get in the way of making a console version. And also the limitations of the consoles would have some negative effects on the game.

But the overwelming advantage is the money. The difference in sales between the PC and consoles is vast.

So advatages are:

Game makes more money, more likely to be another one.
Game engine has to be in good order to work on consoles so the code will be really tide and just run amazingly on the PC.

Im really glad Deus Ex 2 is being developed for the console as well. It means it will hopefully avoid the same traps that FS2 fell into.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Unkown Target
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought this kind of stuff was gone ages ago, nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Oh, come on, let us dream.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
where did this topic come from? :wtf:

Deus Ex 2

Since there is (probably) not going to be any FS3, this is my most wanted game now. ;)

Offline Redfang

Why dream? That's not very wise, as it's almost sure it isn't coming. If you spend a lot of time thinking about it, it doesn't help at all.

:wtf:What amazes me is the result of the poll. Most say yes.

And Thor, you said that FS would easily be played on a console. Console with a keyboard, yes, but X-Box has less than 10 keys, I think about 6 as I haven't played with X-Box for a long while. That isn't enough for FS, unless it would be limited.

Offline RandomTiger

I dont expect to see FS3 but I can hope for it. If no-one does then of course it wont happen. I wouldnt be here if I didnt want a FS3 but Im trying to help where I can in the code project because I dont expect there to be a FS3.

I guess if you've been in these forums for a while then this thread must be a regular event as new people turn up. And I can see how that would get on your nerves but its mostly harmless as long as no-one holds their breath or anything.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by RandomTiger
If no-one does then of course it wont happen.

:wtf:What does that affect? :confused:

Anyway, I of course would want FS3 to come, but I'm 99,9% sure that it won't happen, so I'm not thinking about it...

And no, I don't actually get annoyed by these threads, and I haven't been here for very long either. But at a place you might not or might have heard of, the VBB, which is now closed, I did get annoyed by these kind of threads. At the last  months of VBB I stopped flaming newbies who asked that, though.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
I think the X-box controller has eight buttons, four normal, the white and black buttons and two trigger.  If one of these was a shift button, then the number would increase.  It probably would be limited, for the console.  Hopefully V knows enough that PC Gamers want more options than there consloe brothers.  As for the idea that ignore the fact that FS3 will never be made, well I think its rather stupid.  If we as a collective all demand that THQ buy the rights, than we're that much closer to getting it done.  In order for FS3 to come to be, we need to promote the hell out of FS2 and FS1.  We need to prove to THQ that it would be a profitable purchase.  I have sent an e-mail to THQ asking for FS3.  If we all did that, then they might get the idea that people want this game, and will buy it if its released.
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Redfang

:sigh: Mailing THQ wouldn't help. That has been done. And Volition knows we want the game, but it still wouldn't make enough money. And Interplay isn't going to sell the rights unless it goes down.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
[V] would never develope FS3 for a console. They said so themselves.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Who said :v: would do it?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
BTW, Tiger, these threads don't show up too often. And we like it that way. That's why we hate it when these things show up, because we thought these were gone with the VBB.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
I think the chances of Volition making a totally different space sim not based on FS2 has a better chance of being made then FS3.

Why? Because fresh and new ideas are the core of the industry. No one wants a part 3 to anything really.

Not too mention the fact if FS3 came out, those who didnt buy fs1 or 2 wouldnt bother with it because they see how it failed miserably the first time.

IMO FS3 would be great, but i doubt it will happen.

I would rather see a fresh new idea based on the same engine but enhanced drastically with geo mod and the ability to fly over terrain as well as space fighting then see another knockoff of an old classic.

Let FS2 die as it did, a classic game that won awards and the hearts of many. May it pave a path for the next great space sim for us to enjoy and have our minds blown away by something fresh and new by the only ones who can make it (volition) so a new era of gaming can begin. FS2 and SW carry too much BS for it to go on, something fresh and new has a new slate, which is the best thing for any game that is based on something already out there.

Offline RandomTiger

I dont want to annoy anyone but I dont see whats wrong with talking about it. I dont think its impossible for the freespace interface to be rethought *. I dont see why ' Lonestar's cool ideas couldnt be in freespace 3. I dont know anyone who can predict the future, do you?

I understand that all the legal issues make a new freespace game a lot less attractive to V than starting a new one.

On the other hand I just think that a lot of people including all the people in this thread want to see more because FS2 left so many unanswered questions. And while anyone at V is (allegedly) still interested in Freespace Im not willing to give up hope.

Some advise to anyone who doesnt want FS3 in the forum all the time. Im new to FS newsgroups and didnt know that FS3 was not happening. But someone had a sig about it with a link to more info that answered all my questions so I didnt feel the need to bring it up. So try that maybe it worked on me.

* They did it with Deus Ex for PS2, however I havent seen it so I cant really comment. Also I only use a fraction of the keys in the game anyway because I cant remember them all.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Off the top of my head.... FS2 on PS2;

d-pad / analog for aiming (might need an assist, PS2 analog stick is ustter ).  On the main buttons - 2 buttons for shooting, 2 for cycling weapons (or this could be done via a pause screen or button combo).  Start button pauses, select changes to chase view.  L1 & R1 cycle nearest enemy and toggle match speed respectively, L2 and R2 increase / decrease speed.  Pause brings up a menu allowing optionsa to be changed.... i think that's all you need (?)

I mean, i originally bought FS because it was simple, point and shoot.  You could play it without having to remember 20 different buttons.... m, h and , . were all I needed alongside me joystick.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
From the FAQ I wrote months ago when the VBB was still running..

The subject of Freespace 3 is a bit of a sore point with many people. Volition, (Simply known as [V] by the fans), the makers of Freespace had it published by a company called Interplay. Volition later struck a deal with another publisher THQ. Interplay retained the rights to Freespace. Since Interplay won`t sell the rights to [V] nor hire another developer to make FS3 we are at an impass.

The Freespace Community have tried various methods to bring about FS3 including petitions and mailings to [V] and interplay. None of these had had much of an effect since (somewhat suprisingly) Freespace 2 didn't do very well and interplay don`t wish to stick their neck out to write a third.

The really annoying thing about this is that [V] are actually more than willing to do a third freespace game but can't since interplay hold the licenses. Interplay is now in financial trouble and many people have suggested that [V]'s parent company THQ might buy the licence. Hopefully they will.

The subject of FS3 gets discussed all the time and most people have got a little bit sick of it. Rather than continually poke at the large wound that is FS3 we prefer to ignore it's existance. Although stranger things have happened it is far simpler to pretend that there will never be a FS3 than it is to cling to the faint hope that there will be.

For these reasons posting questions about FS3 tends to get you insulted. It's like repeatedly reminding someone about the loss of a loved one, tactless and pointless at the same time. If you post something new we'd all be pleased to hear it but you have to remember that FS2 is over 3 years old so almost everything has already been discussed several times.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by aldo_14
Off the top of my head.... FS2 on PS2;

d-pad / analog for aiming (might need an assist, PS2 analog stick is ustter ).  On the main buttons - 2 buttons for shooting, 2 for cycling weapons (or this could be done via a pause screen or button combo).  Start button pauses, select changes to chase view.  L1 & R1 cycle nearest enemy and toggle match speed respectively, L2 and R2 increase / decrease speed.  Pause brings up a menu allowing optionsa to be changed.... i think that's all you need (?)
Aim assist? :snipe:
*gets killed by a sniper rifle*

*is raised by a cleric*

Hmm, that wouldn't be enough for me, I need the ETS, countermeasures, subsystem targeting, linking weapons (though I always used double), communications... that's not all, I need actually much more, but that's what comes to mind...

But again, aim assist? I would never play a game with it... :headz:
*gets killed by a Vasudan*

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Redfang
Aim assist? :snipe:
*gets killed by a sniper rifle*

*is raised by a cleric*

Hmm, that wouldn't be enough for me, I need the ETS, countermeasures, subsystem targeting, linking weapons (though I always used double), communications... that's not all, I need actually much more, but that's what comes to mind...

But again, aim assist? I would never play a game with it... :headz:
*gets killed by a Vasudan*

the Ps2 joystick is the biggest pile of ***** in history.... it's useless for any sort of vertical movement, and plainly designed solely for driving games.... thus, it would probably be an ustter nightmare trying to aim with the thing in FS2, and some sort of assistance would required - akin to I-War 2, which it worked fairly well in :nod:

Offline Redfang

Yes, I know it's hard to impossible to aim with it, but aim assist isn't the right way to do it... better controller is... :)

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
We shouldn't be so impatient about FS3.  I think it has a good chance of coming out sometime in the very distant future when theirs more demand for space sims.  Right now most people don't seem to care about the genre.  Perhaps with the release of Freelancer, which has Microsoft backing it(which means a big name for casual buyers and maybe lots of hype), and all of the MMO space sims, there will some day be more demand for Freespace 3.  I'd give it at least five years :)