Author Topic: Оо  (Read 2507 times)

Offline kir2yar

http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/2011/06/23/white-trash-repairs-historical-thursday-jet-nuclear-propulsion/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ThereIFixedIt+%28There%2C+I+Fixed+It.%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Project Orion was a government program testing the feasibility of using atomic weapons as propulsion systems. The idea, while obviously complicated when you get into the details, is actually quite simple. Rockets need to go fast and far. To go fast and far though, you need an extremely powerful force to push you. Chemical boosters, like the ones still used today on space shuttles, worked well but were inefficient and under-powered.
I am from Russia. Sorry for my English.
I use Google Translator.

jabber: [email protected]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes? We know Project Orion is awesome (in a "holy ****, this is real-life supervillain stuff" kinda sense).

If you want to see something scary, look up Project Pluto....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Wasn't that how Tintin's rocket was supposed to be working ?

Chemical boost for take off, then nuclear propulsion 'till landing on the moon ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not knowing how that one looked, I can't say. If it involved dropping nuclear warheads out of the rear end, spraying a pusher plate with reactant, then detonating the warhead in order to flash the reactant into plasma and then absorbing the created thrust with a massive pusher plate, then yes.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I have a friend who's obsessed with Nuclear Pulse Propulsion, I'll point him this way at some point so he can discuss his love for it. (It's Useful_Dave, for those who remember him hanging around in the BP threads)
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you want to see something scary, look up Project Pluto....
Heck, that didn't even need the load of warheads; just flying over would cause enough damage...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You can actually build space ships in Laminar Research's Space Combat with this type of propulsion, if that's of any interest.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
Is that worth trying out. O_o

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The program was incomplete, to say the least. It was also far from the level of sophistication that X-Plane is, even the old X-Plane 7 which it was based on.

However, if you have any interest in spacecraft general design configuration, Newtonian physics, etc., it's worth trying. Check the link below:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=10742

There should be download links on the page. The program works on your desktop and is available for Mac, Windows (XP and Vista should work just fine - no idea about 7, though it should work as well), and Linux. It's free, so it can't hurt to try it. Just understand that it is what it is - if it had multiplayer capabilities, it would actually be really cool.

As a disclaimer, if you want Newtonian physics at a more refined level, get a game like IWar, etc. If you want more diversity in your spacefaring, you might need to grab Orbiter. If you don't care to make your own assets, you can get free add-ons from X-Plane.org.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I have a friend who's obsessed with Nuclear Pulse Propulsion, I'll point him this way at some point so he can discuss his love for it. (It's Useful_Dave, for those who remember him hanging around in the BP threads)

When it comes to nuclear propulsion, long term this is a better way to go.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

It's not as ridiculous as it sounds, provided they used a chemical booster to get the craft into space before the nukes started going off. Atmospheric pulse-detonation engines have been tested and might even be in regular use if you believe in the existence of the Aurora Project (one of the less wackier supposed black projects, as those things go).

How would you slow down?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

How would you slow down?

Same way it's currently done with chemical engines. Reverse the ship and fire the engine (or the nukes) forward.

Do you have any idea how much more fuel room that would take??? Spending many nukes to get the ship flying really really fast, and then burning hydrogen to slow it down??
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Umm.

In the absence of magic law-of-inertia-negating tech, there is no other way for a spaceship to stop.

Well, unless you plan on stopping by ramming planets, but research shows that option to not be optimal for crew or equipment safety.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Umm.

In the absence of magic law-of-inertia-negating tech, there is no other way for a spaceship to stop.

Well, unless you plan on stopping by ramming planets, but research shows that option to not be optimal for crew or equipment safety.

well, if the ship uses a small forrest moon, covered with gum trees and moss... :nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Umm.

well, if the ship uses a small forrest moon, covered with gum trees and moss... :nervous:

You know gum trees aren;t actually in any way gummy, right? :p
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline newman

You know gum trees aren;t actually in any way gummy, right? :p

Lies! You obviously didn't play the documentary series called "Monkey Island". Rubber trees are well documented there. Go. Play. Learn.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Do you have any idea how much more fuel room that would take??? Spending many nukes to get the ship flying really really fast, and then burning hydrogen to slow it down??

to slow down turn the buisness end (the side with the "engine") of the ship retrograde and commence "burning". but of course in the context of an orion drive, your engine is a nuke on a spring, and burning is nuking. orion drive would make it difficult to dial up the exact amount of acceleration you need for some orbital maneuvers, so some secondary form of propulsion would be needed when you need to have finer control. orion drive seems good for long haul interstellar flights, not quite something you would want to explore the solar system with.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN