Author Topic: Inter-System capability?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Inter-System capability?
From the "If you had to pick a blah blah blah topic"

How long of a fight are we talking here? Delenda Est? or all of Transcend =)

All things considered I'd probably take the Kent or an Izra'il.
Then you'd be screwed pretty quick if it's Transcend-length. UEF fighters are not made to operate without logistical support for long periods.

Also, they don't have inter-system jump drives.

Do ANY craft or vessels serving in the UEF fleets have this capacity bearing in mind they thought the node was effectively dead? I'm guessing stealth recon MAY have on the odd occasion one fitted. Also some sort of probe system may be operational. I just wondered if any sort of Foray had been made by the UEF since the Gate went "live".

Thanks for your time.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Inter-System capability?
Great War-era crafts still in service probably still have inter-system jump drives. Modern ships, even military ones, probably don't, since it's a waste of space and energy. Maybe Solarises have, maybe.

However, I expect most UEF designs to have been thought with jump drive retrofitting in mind, so they can all be fit with those inter-system jump drives if necessary.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The UEF seems pretty heavily dependent on their jump-gates even within system. My guess is that they do, but that outfitting significant numbers of ships with them would not be cost effective. The GTVA has been mentioned as making great strides in jump-drive technology, so it's probably cheaper and easier for them, and their ship designs are probably built more for that capability.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I knew us TEVs did. But the BUNTs........I'd be surprised.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
However, I expect most UEF designs to have been thought with jump drive retrofitting in mind, so they can all be fit with those inter-system jump drives if necessary.

They almost certainly have room-for-growth that could accommodate the drives, but I doubt they were designed with the retrofit in mind.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I doubt that intersystem jump capability was removed from military vessels. Given that it doesn't seem to carry a weight or size penalty (as evidenced by the fact that there's no performance difference between crafts retrofitted with intersystem drives in FS1), removing a capability you might just come to need if an incursion happens just doesn't strike me as wise.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cost! Those things can be expensive.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Cost! Those things can be expensive.

That struck me in FS1, and in part, FS2 as well.

Also ............... Profit :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure, but if you're going to be paranoid and build an army that you do not need, you might just be paranoid enough to make sure that that army can actually go places. And given that the entirety of the UEF navy was probably not as much of an investment as the GTVA navy was for the GTVA, I think there'd be _some_ room in the budget.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
On the subject, Inter-System was in developement from Sol for ages wasn;t it? Finalised after Shivan scans......... Soooooo, i'd imagine Sol having higher degrees of "POTENTIAL" Drive tech. But little cause to develop after effectively being "locked in" :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Well, they know that the Lucifer could be destroyed in subspace. They probably have something that can jump into a node and it the Lucifer if it tried to leave the system.

My guess is that this is one of the selling points of the Solaris - to able to organize a counter attack by dragging a lot of strikecraft and a powerful warship across the node. It could also be the reason for the Karuna-Nara divide, maybe one of them didn't have jump drives. I don't, my guess is that the destroyers and some of the frigates have intersellars and could be arranged into a group if the need arose.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Some do some don't?

(civilian ships almost certainly wouldn't)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Sure, but if you're going to be paranoid and build an army that you do not need, you might just be paranoid enough to make sure that that army can actually go places. And given that the entirety of the UEF navy was probably not as much of an investment as the GTVA navy was for the GTVA, I think there'd be _some_ room in the budget.

Ship design does not favor this argument either.  All UEF ships are highly dependent on close, easily accessable resupply lines, which become much less sure in the event of separation by a whole system.  We already know that the freighters and support ships that would be doing the resupply do not have inter-system jump drives.  Putting them on military vessels is a very nice way to outrun your logistics support.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The TRADE-LANES gate network, is a nice indicator of what can and can't jump. Although taking is as granted that the ships you see in mission one being typical of the class is not a samrt thing in my experience.

Hopefully WiH1.5/2? will clarify this quandry. Hope i haven't rocked any boats with my curious brain...
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The gate network is a nice indicator of what doesn't mount a subspace drive at all, and does not distinguish between having an intra- or inter-system subspace drive.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
The TRADE-LANES gate network, is a nice indicator of what can and can't jump.
The gate network is a nice indicator of what doesn't mount a subspace drive at all, and does not distinguish between having an intra- or inter-system subspace drive.

Peas in a pod. :P

Since one of the major justifications for the Solarus has to be Shivan detterence then I'm guessing they'd be fitted with intra-system drives, for reasons above of Lucifer hunting. I wouldn't go poo-pooing the UEF's logistics so much, we've seen destroyers in FS1 and FS2 getting along just fine before Anemois were around, albeit dependant on stationary cargo depots and fleets of freighters, one of the other disadvantages the Anemoi eliminates.

The fact that a Kurana can support it's own fighter squadron along with holding flak ammo and what has to be an insane amount of torpedos suggests they should be able to operate for a decent length of time, hell it should even be expected since I doubt a Solaris would go cruising around, chasing Gefs. They'd be definitely out-lasted by GTVA equivalents obviously, before hopping back to Jupiter.

Ship design does not favor this argument either.  All UEF ships are highly dependent on close, easily accessable resupply lines, which become much less sure in the event of separation by a whole system.  We already know that the freighters and support ships that would be doing the resupply do not have inter-system jump drives.  Putting them on military vessels is a very nice way to outrun your logistics support.

Remember that the Sanctus doubles as a freighter. (or do we have definite info to the effect that it does not have intersystem capability?)

As has been said, if the Solaris was designed with Shivan-hunting in mind, it would be rather shortsighted to omit the design feature required to engage Lucies when they aren't invulnerable.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:48:32 am by LordPomposity »

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, that's a good question. How long can a Karuna support its onboard fighter detachment's operations at a high tempo or normal operational tempo?

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Actually, that's a good question. How long can a Karuna support its onboard fighter detachment's operations at a high tempo or normal operational tempo?

That's a good question for all the ships of both races. How long did AoA last? The Temeraire and the Orestes fought several battles and crossed multiple systems over the course of the campagin, but went through most of their supplies (from to logistics ships) in the process. Similarly, what would have happened to a buntu fleet in the same position? Presumably it would have been infeasible (based on what has been said by developers) although Sanctus cruisers double as freighters, it's been suggested that the logistics vessels have some capacity to mine and manufacture, and that probably isn't the case with Sancti.

It's also been said that the buntu are getting a logistics vessel of their own in the next campaign. I wonder if that could bring them up to more "blue-water navy" standards.

The Blue Planet team has been careful not to release specific numbers unless they absolutely have to. I think the safest answer is that we'll find out when it happens (or doesn't). I suspect a Karuna isn't going to support its fighters as long as a destroyer could. My guess would be that a Diomedes can sustain its compliment for longer as well (based on the premise that the Tevs are generally configured for longer duration operations (marathon rather than a sprint).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
The Blue Planet team has been careful not to release specific numbers unless they absolutely have to. I think the safest answer is that we'll find out when it happens (or doesn't). I suspect a Karuna isn't going to support its fighters as long as a destroyer could. My guess would be that a Diomedes can sustain its compliment for longer as well (based on the premise that the Tevs are generally configured for longer duration operations (marathon rather than a sprint).

Hush you. Evil plotting in progress.

A Feddie Story