Author Topic: Newbie Makes Spaceships  (Read 63986 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Newbie Makes Spaceships
Nice design, very homeworld'ish. Just how I like it.
el hombre vicio...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the B.A-32 Claymore Assault Bomber.

With twice the size of the already-massive GS.I-81 Longsword Gunship Interceptor, her massive missile and torpedo bays allow her to bring an unprecedented level of firepower to the battlefield in a relatively small package. She is not the prettiest of ships, however. That right is reserved for the Longsword. But who can complain when they're already dead?

Managed to make this in an hour.

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Mind posting a few wires?

Ima interested in how you arrage your meshes.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Aye.

It's an abomination, I know.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Most of the edge loops (actually, pretty much all of them) in the model are very well done - your technique is great! However, you might be able to get rid of a few quads still.

I'd look into the shape of the nosecone, which seems like it could be a bit smoother. The only design aspect I'd wonder about is the structure beneath the nose/canopy section; I'm not sure what it is precisely. A gun? A launch system?...

In any sense,

:yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Yeah, it's a gun. A la UEF Uriel.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Thou Art the Man.

It is written, for it is true.

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

F.I-84 Dagger

The Dagger Interceptor is the latest design from Chung Aerospace. It also holds the dubious honor of being the only design from the company to be accepted into the Confederate Joint Arms Force. The craft is very small compared to other Confederate small-craft, and is also very fast and maneuverable. Its shortcomings are a distinct lack of hardpoints and thin armor. Older models used glass canopies, which made them extremely vulnerable to point laser fire.

Furthermore, the twin seater design is so cramped that nuggets often complained of claustrophobia while adjusting to the new fighter. It also meant that more often than not, two people died when the fighter was shot down. The Block D variant sought to rectify these problems by widening the cockpit and by replacing the glass canopy with a holographic projection system. Engineers were unable to solve the armor issue, as adding extra armor tended to shear the fighter apart, even with proper reinforcement.

The fighter only saw ten years of service in the JAF, and was handed down to the Colonial Defense Militia when the new Lockheed-Martin-Sukhoi Aerospace F.I-92 Keris Interceptor entered service.

It is also worthy to note that Chung Aerospace suffered a lawsuit when several committee heads in LMA noticed that the Dagger's main fuselage and wing structure are strikingly similar to their design.

F.I-92 Keris

The Keris Interceptor is the successor to the Dagger, and is several times more advanced. It is the first fighter to incorporate the Neural Interface system, allowing human pilots to react with almost AI-levels of speed and precision. However, this new system brings with it the drawback of having a significantly larger cockpit area.

This didn't stop the Keris from becoming one of the most common fighters in the JAF inventory however. In fact, the Keris is superior in every way to the Dagger, and with the NIS, often allowed newbie pilots to score kills against Federation Aces. The high kill ratio earned the Keris the nickname of 'Acemaker' and several months after its first deployment, High Command had to draft special rules for Keris pilots aiming to reach Ace and Double Ace.

It didn't help matters that the criteria for Longsword pilots were used as a basis for the Keris 'Special Ace' guidelines. People expected tensions to rise between Lamborghini-Miroslav Aerospace Systems and Lockheed-Martin-Sukhoi due to the striking similarity between LMS's Keris and LMAS's Longsword, but both companies seemingly shrugged it off. Several pictures were released by the press a few days after the Keris's unveiling of both companies' heads and top-ranking personnel sharing drinks with each other.

---

Canonically, Lamborghini-Miroslav Aerospace and Lockheed-Martin-Sukhoi are locked in a duopoly, and are described as friendly rivals. The extremely high perforcance of their fighters often accompanied a high price, and a short term economic depression forced the JAF to adopt Chung Aerospace's Dagger design, which sacrificed performance for a lower cost.

Note that the Longsword, Claymore, and some of my capital ship designs are Lamborghini-Miroslav produced. In capital ships, their trademark is the 'mushroom' on the dorsal surface, and on small-craft, it's a cannon mounted under the nose. LMS' trademark is a keel structure.

---

I was messing around with procedurals a while ago, this was the result:

Edit:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:28:53 am by InfinitySquared »

Great work.

The Freespace Upgrade Project is that-a-way, in case you wanted to know...

Even if you don't do any stuff for them, this is quite impressive.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Just leaving this here.

Lookin' good! It seems ready for conversion into the game now :drevil:

Alright, so one weapon is finished. It's a SAKIM LPPC-2 Light Particle Pulse Cannon. They're mounted in bank 1, which holds 6 guns.

Bank two will hold 4 guns, and the ones I'm planning to model is a gatling-gun style weapon. I'll be terming it the 'GALIT R-6'.

Bank 3 will hold 1 gun, and it'll be a big heavy weapon sticking out from under the cockpit like the Uriel's ARCHER.

The weapons in the previous image were placeholders.

Also, FreespaceFreak. Eheheheheh:

My bet would be on the poly normals.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
My bet would be on the poly normals.

seconded
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Huh?

If that's how your fighter looks in-game, in 80% of cases it's caused by the polygon normals not pointing outward (other common cause: incorrect hierarchy) . I can't tell you how to fix that in 3DSMax, though, I only know Blender.

Ah. Actually, that's what I did to the model to ease the pain of UV'ing and texturing it. It's still in Max though.
And I've no idea how to merge everything into one model and render all 8 1024x1024 maps into 1.

Ah, yes, now that you mention it, all the parts are indeed there... Well, it should be possible to merge all of the meshes into one, I'm sure Max can do that. And you should be able to just slap the UVs you made next to one another onto one big 4096x2048 texture.

Dumb question.
How do I merge multiple textured objects and bake them into a single map in 3ds Max? I've set their individual materials to have different IDs, but I don't think I've changed any channels in their polygon properties.

Guess wut. I'm BAACK!  :D

After a broken down laptop and a broken down PC, and after a couple years of college. I finally have a break long enough to be able to work on my writing and modeling again.

So, I'm leaving this here for the time being.

F/A-144K Strike Fury

And with crappy 20 minute textures: