Author Topic: My best bet for a high quality Star Wars experience (space combat and/or other)?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: My best bet for a high quality Star Wars experience (space combat and/or other)?
I'd say go for Jedi Knight 2: Outcast, it's story wise lightyears ahead of Academy, feels more Star Wars-ish, has awesome cutscenes ( approach to Bespin anyone? ) and Kyle Katarn.
Academy in comparison, has a average Story despite visiting known locations like echo base and Tatooine.
The lightsaber fights are more interessting though( in MP at least, once you figured out the moves, the Bossfights are rather easy).
Some levels are just awesome, imo, like Chandrila.
Academy isn't a bad game by all means, it's just doesn't feel fleshed out like Outcast does.
If you are a fan of the movies ( including the prequels) The Moviebattles mod ( SP) is a must have.
There's also one for MP, which alters the gameplay significantly.

Battlefront 1 and 2 are quite good, even though graphics a bit dated.
But there's a lot of fun SP and MP wise. There's no real SP story in there, but i found it to be more fun then a lot of SP FPS with storyline.
You should take a bit time and search starwarsbattlefront_dot_filefront_dot_com for mods, lotsa great stuff there.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: My best bet for a high quality Star Wars experience (space combat and/or other)?
Speaking of this topic, there are a few Star Wars games on sale in today's Steam Summer Camp daily deal, including KOTOR 1 for all of $2.50.  I don't even really play RPGs, but even I had to pick that up.  Maybe now I can finally learn who this HK-47 guy is.

Offline -Sara-

For a space experience, you can always try X-Wing Alliance, X-Wing, X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter and Tie-Fighter. Star Wars Galaxies had a fun space system but that game is being shut down, it has been emulated but the space part is lacking I think. Personally I had fun playing the Rogue Squadron games on the GameCube, being a Nintendo girl myself. :P

For other Star Wars experiences, you can always try the Jedi Knight series (Jedi Outcast and Academy), the Force Unleashed 1 & 2 or KotOR 1 & 2. The latter, KotOR 2, is being modded I believe to contain all the removed quests and a removed planet. Supposedly the KotOR MMO is disappointing already according to previews and is based on fighting mostly alone, where you only run into friends in specific zones or if the mission is designed to allow for inviting friends along, great voice acting is that game's strenght which is almost a first for a MMO. You got to pay for it too, given it's a MMO. Supposedly there'll be a X-Box 360 kinect Star Wars. I'm guessing you'll swing a toy saber while the game mimics your moves. It seems to be based on the period before and after Episode 3.

There's possibly a great number of mods out there themed around the Star Wars worlds as well. I saw a nice FPS using I think the Crysis engine but I don't remember it's name. MODdb is bound to have it if you search for Star Wars. I know there's one in the making for the Freespace we all play.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Speaking of this topic, there are a few Star Wars games on sale in today's Steam Summer Camp daily deal, including KOTOR 1 for all of $2.50.  I don't even really play RPGs, but even I had to pick that up.  Maybe now I can finally learn who this HK-47 guy is.

Yeah KOTOR is teh awesum!
You gonna love HK-47!

Gameplay tip: during the beginning, you have to level once to continue. Do not further level up! Wait 'till you become a Jedi.
Taris shouldn't be too difficult to play on level 2.

Unless you play with certain mods from the start, that is.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
^ must disagree with the above.

Level up all you want.  Then change your spec when you get a Jedi class.  I ususally take Scoundrel to start, get all my skills as high as I can, then take Jedi Guardian for the combat abilities.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Level up all you want.  Then change your spec when you get a Jedi class.  I ususally take Scoundrel to start, get all my skills as high as I can, then take Jedi Guardian for the combat abilities.

yeah, but this way you loose points you could spend on Forcepowers and Jediabilities.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If you do play KOTOR, try my mod...TWO-HANDED LIGHTSABERS!!! Twice the reach, twice the carnage!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Empire at War, now I wasn't particularly expecting much when I bought it but man did it turn out to be so much worse then I could have possibly imagined...  and I can imagine quite a bit.

Basically, I shouldn't get the Gold Pack for 4.99?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

yeah, but this way you loose points you could spend on Forcepowers and Jediabilities.

But you gain two full sets of skills.  You don't need all that many force powers or jedi abilities to beat the **** out of everything.

Maybe it's just because I played as Light Side, where most of the powers aren't offensive enough for my liking, so I just ignore them.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Empire at War, now I wasn't particularly expecting much when I bought it but man did it turn out to be so much worse then I could have possibly imagined...  and I can imagine quite a bit.

Basically, I shouldn't get the Gold Pack for 4.99?

If you reaally reaally want to, but I personally think they produced a crappy unimaginative game and banked on the IP to get sales.  If it had been based on original IP I can't imagine the game having had any success whatsoever.  Given the potential of the universe the developer had a giant sandbox to produce a really interesting strategy game and this just wasn't it.  I mean, just consider the diplomatic gameplay opportunities presented with forming a Rebellion or exerting an iron fist across the Empire.  Legislation, Trade, Diplomacy none of those avenues for a innovative game where explored, its strictly a vehicle for presenting a series of very badly executed space and ground battles.

Take it with a grain of salt, perhaps I have extremely over inflated standards when it comes to RTS games and am given to grandiose negativity about minor issues, but I believe I went into it with already low easily satisfied expectations and was severely disappointed with the product. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mikes

I mean, I guess you could wait until SW:TOR and then pay a monthly subscription fee to participate in tunnel shooters in SPAAAAACE, but...

Going to have Bioware story... tacked on to WoW clone gameplay. /sigh. Such a disappointment.

Kotor would definitely get my vote for the best Star Wars computer experience.

Aside from that... The Force Unleashed may be worth a look depending on how much you are craving a Star Wars game. ;)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Force Unleashed could have been a wonderful game, but was instead reduced to a befuddling plot, repetetive button mashing gameplay, and nice looking but repetetive and boring QTEs.

I'd pass, unless you just REALLY want to subject yourself to that.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Granted it could be a certain degree of nostalgia creep, but I recall Dark Forces II Jedi Knight being totally BOSS back in the day.   Heck, they actually even thought to have civilians going about their business in the environments you traveled through, something they didn't bother to do even in Outcast.   Which is too bad, because it managed to add a feeling of the worlds seem lived in rather than a just a shooting or chopping gallery populated by stormies or mercs.  I also have hazy recollections of some sweet weapons like the concussion rifle and cool live action cutscenes.  I am certain that the actress they had play Jan Ors was pretty cute though.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Your memory does not steer you too wrongly, there.

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This thread got me to reinstall XWA and go 'pew some TIEs.
'cept I forgot all the controls.
TIEs pew'd me instead.
Shortly after running out of weapons energy with no way to get it back cause HOW DO YOU ETS AGAIN?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
But you gain two full sets of skills.  You don't need all that many force powers or jedi abilities to beat the **** out of everything.

Maybe it's just because I played as Light Side, where most of the powers aren't offensive enough for my liking, so I just ignore them.
**** light powers, I played a light side character and picked all dark side powers aside from the healing one.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
More FPS fun: There's this awesome looking mod for Battlefield 2142 called First Strike. It looks way more fun than Battlefront, but Battlefront wasn't bad either IMO.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Take it with a grain of salt, perhaps I have extremely over inflated standards when it comes to RTS games and am given to grandiose negativity about minor issues, but I believe I went into it with already low easily satisfied expectations and was severely disappointed with the product.

Next time, just tell me no.

Please.

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
When I was 13 and it came out, I enjoyed it.

Now I ask myself why as I cry myself to sleep when I play it again.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, listening to Friedrick The Great isn't doing me much good here. At all. He who defends everything wins this game, except when he doesn't.

A Feddie Story