Author Topic: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport  (Read 35089 times)

Re: GR-75 Medium Transport / Rebel Medium Transport
Ahh, no problem, they're easy to erase. As I'd already said on IRC, there are still a ton of (other) improvements to do to keep the poly count low. While the current count is at around 11K tris, I actually think that the final count will end up lower than it is now.

Okay, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been really busy with school stuff, which means other stuff had to take a step back. Fortunately, it looks like things are calming down, so I hope to have a few new shots pretty soon!
I'm working on the landing gear & boarding ramp atm, though I might have to scrap what I have and start fresh - no matter how I change it, it still feels 'off'. Will let you know more soon though!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You have crazy timing, we were just talking about your transport a few minutes ago.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Which parts are off? The whole thing? It looks pretty good to me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:20:34 pm by bobbtmann »

Which parts are off? The whole thing? It looks pretty good to me.
Nah, I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing looks. The only thing I'm not happy with in it's current shape is the landing gear, I'll redo that asap :) (no need to show if it's not worth showing, right?)

Allright, time for the *drumroll* landing gear & access ramp update!

Back landing gear is pretty much the way I want it to be, placed them pretty neatly and accurately as far as every reference tells me. I made the landing gear slant inward slightly, otherwise the whole ship seemed to be balancing on four very closely placed pivot points - more like a rollerskate than anything else.

Also added a ramp, of which I couldn't find any real references other than the EGVV and concept art... It looks okay where it is now, though it could be placed even further to the back of the ship, depends on what the replies are ;)

There's of course also a front landing gear, but at the moment they're just floating - I haven't changed the hull so they're attached to anything yet. Next update will have that, I promise!

Also, I noticed some smoothing issues - nothing major, will fix those in the next update as well, though it's mostly aethetics at this point.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Awesome!  Subobject translation isn't working yet as far as I know, so we'll probably have to go with the landing gear fixed up for now, but this will be our first future-proof model in that regard :)  I'm really looking forward to this ship!

Some time ago when I joined the IRC channel, I thought I overheard the X-wing being able to move it's wings... Or is the X-wing made up of different objects as opposed to subobjects?

And I'm guessing it's likely the landing gear will be seen retracted about 99% of the time, so fixed should work for now anyway :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The Lambda is able to move its wings. It has its limitations, but if scripted right, it is credible.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Some time ago when I joined the IRC channel, I thought I overheard the X-wing being able to move it's wings... Or is the X-wing made up of different objects as opposed to subobjects?

And I'm guessing it's likely the landing gear will be seen retracted about 99% of the time, so fixed should work for now anyway :)

the engine can happily handle rotating subobjects so the s-foils on the x-wing is no problem, this would need a strait line sliding motion with is not currently possible.  You can use rotating and counter rotating subobjects to achieve the effect, but the rigging process is fiddly and riddled with limits.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The problem with the X-wing s-foils is not the movement of the wings, it's the fact that the thrusters need to move with the wings, and currently they cannot. The Lambda and B-wing have no such issues.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Translation had been successfully hacked by Steve-O and while it did cause some problems at first (mostly with PCS2) it doesn't now. It depends on center of rotation being set so far away from the model that the movement looks like translation.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Yeah, I think we can make translation for landing gears work if needed. None of our current ships have modelled landing gear, so this would be as good a ship as any to use for experimenting on that.

Update post 1/2: As far as I can tell, the mesh is pretty much done. I've made a couple of renders (including wireframe) to show, but if someone wants to take a look at the .max file itself, just let me know and I'll upload it somewhere for you to grab.

I wasn't sure about the front landing gear, I hope I've made it into something worthwhile - take a look at images #1 & #2. Right now they can turn to adjust to ground slopes, as well as bear the weight due to shock absorber thingeys. The references I've seen don't really describe them that well, but as far as I can see when retracted they're a combination of rotating up and retracting, something that's both possible now.

Update post 2/2: Added a couple of renders with cargo, making it look more 'complete'.

Current tri counts:
- GR-75: 9146
- Cargo: 5500

The cargo atm. are just a lot of chamferboxes, if you remove the chamfer the cargo's triangle count goes down to 1500. Just thought I'd leave the chamfer at least for these renders, though it's pretty obvious they'll have to go when they're being used in the game itself.

The Gallofree is a little higher than I'd expected, I can check if there are areas I can still improve on, see which parts take a lot of tris for only a small object, but I'm waiting to hear some feedback first.

In any case, let me know what your thoughts are!

The chamfer looks good. Have you deleted all the faces that can't be seen? That'll cut down on the cargo poly count.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Actually, there's a solution that could decrease polycount as well as making the cargo more accurate. 

Note that the cargo pods are actually quite similar to a horizontally stretched, extruded hexagon.  If you used a shape like this instead of your chamfer box, then you'd drop the cargo polycount from 5500 to 3000, almost cut in half, while making the ship more accurate as well.  It's a win win.  The only downside is that you'd have to redo the cargo...

Also of note is that the entire interior volume isn't filled with pods.  Instead, there's some kind of boxy structure in the middle, and the cargo pods only seem to run in a rough strip from the front of the ship to just past the middle before the bottom engines.

And one last thing, there doesn't seem to be any variation in the size of the cargo pods themselves, they're all pretty much identical (probably the same kitbash part) except for in colouring.  This could save you a bit of a workload in redoing the cargo pods
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:12:51 pm by brandx0 »
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Inside the Worlds of: Star Wars Trilogy (and Star Wars: Complete Locations have an illustrated cutaway of the interior of the GR-75, which I found on the web (click to enlarge). It shows that the pods are mounted on a rail system which you can actually sort of see in the physical model, though it can be hard to tell one thing from another with all those greebles. You the blurry bunch of pipes towards the forward end of the underside view brandx0 posted? That corresponds with the cargo loading arm in the illustration.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Alan: the link you provided doesn't seem to work :( It does seem like something worth checking out, because at the moment a) I don't have a cargo arm and b) it could fill up the space so we need less cargo anyway.

Brand: my cargo doesn't run much further than the image you provided, so that's not an issue as far as I can tell. Redoing the cargo isn't that big of a deal either, I already anticipated it anyway - added it more as a nice extra to the renders.  I only used three or four different shapes to add to it, took me maybe 15 - 20 mins to create & add the cargo. I'll just do it again, this time with hexagon-shaped cargo.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Sounds good PixelSmash, can't wait to see it!
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport