Author Topic: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)  (Read 75966 times)

Re: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)
Thanks The E

one question? are there debug builds of this Valathil`s binaries?
from reading this FAQ there is no other way then by having debug builds

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
one question? are there debug builds of this Valathil`s binaries?
from reading this FAQ there is no other way then by having debug builds

No, there are no debug builds..  :nono:
We were pestering him to release one...but he wouldn't listen  :p
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
If you read the thread you'll learn that Valathil doesn't need them. Post a screenshot and he'll go "oh ****, that's what I did wrong," fix it, and we be happy.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

If you read the thread you'll learn that Valathil doesn't need them. Post a screenshot and he'll go "oh ****, that's what I did wrong," fix it, and we be happy.
If you read my posts you'll learn that shadows just don`t show up for me at all, you don`t need a screenshot for that.
Since i`m the one person for which they never worked i assume I`m doing something wrong

BTW tried a fresh install, still no shadows. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Crybertrance

If you read my posts you'll learn that shadows just don`t show up for me at all, you don`t need a screenshot for that.
Since i`m the one person for which they never worked i assume I`m doing something wrong

BTW tried a fresh install, still no shadows. Any help would be appreciated.

Now that I try it as well shadows don't work for me either after I did a fresh install after a windows format a few days ago... I using the Alpha 3? (latest) version of the shadows build... All the files are in the correct places (quadruple checked). They just don't work!
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I can't speak for the third alpha thingy, but have you tried the build that combines lightshafts and shadows? Perhaps that one is more willing to play ball. It's in either this thread, or the lightshafts build's one.

Offline Crybertrance

I can't speak for the third alpha thingy, but have you tried the build that combines lightshafts and shadows? Perhaps that one is more willing to play ball. It's in either this thread, or the lightshafts build's one.

Tried that, it just gives me a crash...   :banghead:

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
sorry Valathil...i noticed that the cockpits and the visible ship in cockpit view aren't affected by shadows....maybe is a well known issue,anyway post this just for inform you.

thanks so much
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
* Cobra coughs

There are so shadows affecting the visible cockpit. My video proves it.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
yeah cobra you right....i'll make a double check with the mixed sunshaft/shadows build...apparently i used the shadow alpha n.3
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Just figured I'd mention something -- It seems that, while performance is fine with normal models, shadows causes major slowdowns with certain models, for example the Burning Heaven campaign, when looking in the general direction -- even when far, far, far away -- of a custom model; a space station in what I think is the second level, the game slows to a crawl. Just putting it out there.

Offline Crybertrance

Just figured I'd mention something -- It seems that, while performance is fine with normal models, shadows causes major slowdowns with certain models, for example the Burning Heaven campaign, when looking in the general direction -- even when far, far, far away -- of a custom model; a space station in what I think is the second level, the game slows to a crawl. Just putting it out there.

Like Valathil said (a few pages back) the shadows are not yet fully optimized for various LODs and stuff.