Author Topic: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)  (Read 75921 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: Shadows in FSOpen: NewNew Alpha (17. Oct)
Having tried Firefox and IE I still get nothing - not even connecting directly to mediafire.com

Would someone be kind enough to host it somewhere else? I'm having no trouble with any other website...

Hope this works for you.. :)

http://sharesend.com/zeefm
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That link definitely worked first time - no idea what was up with the other site but thank you for getting the files to me.

Unfortunately for me at least - they don't work! I should elaborate though:

I tried the shadow build WITHOUT using the FSOInstaller (the first thing I did was a fresh FS2 install then try the release that Crybertrance just provided) and it DID work.

Then I used the FSOInstaller to download all the additional mediaVPs etc. and install it all as per usual. Running the game WITHOUT ENABLING MediaVPs 3.6.12 as a mod still allows shadows to work. Enabling the MediaVPs as a mod stops the shadow effect from occurring but everything else works fine.

I only have two thoughts at this stage: 1) something in the MediaVPs is stopping the shadows from working or 2) because I've selected another mod it might be missing out the shadows entirely? I'm going to test that by copying the files packaged with the shadow build into the data folder of the MediaVP mod. Watch this space...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Did you use the shaders that come with the shadow build?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Update: I solved the problem and it was my second theory that did it. I had dragged/dropped the all the files from the .RAR that Crybertrance had provided straight into my FreeSpace2 root directory.

That was wrong.

If anyone else has a problem using this method and is running a mod via the FSO Launcher then remember that you need to copy the DATA folder from the shadows .RAR INTO the mod folder that you're running. Otherwise the information won't be there and the shadows won't show.

Once I did that it was business better than normal - the shadows look fantastic and everything is running without glitches so far (I only tested on the first campaign mission but still).

Superb job Valathil, just stunning work :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Dropping stuff directly into a FS2 folder is never a good idea. In that case, it didn't work because the shaders in your data folder got overridden by the ones in the MVPs.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, that was my folly - I've not used FS2 since the implementation of "mod folders" in the launcher so it didn't occur to me that the newly installed shadow stuff was being overwritten by the other mods in the folder I had selected.

A bit of constructive criticism for everyone here - as an outsider - it really can be confusing when installing mods for games for the first time. Some games are lucky and just have one launcher that you can select mods from using a check box or whatever... and it's clear that folks here have tried to make it easy. But for those of us who haven't followed progress it can still be confusing!

No slant against anyone in particular here. But making the great new features that FSO etc. possess available to the "newbie" is crucial and it's something that hasn't always been easy to follow (the FSO Installer was a complete joy to use as it does it all for you - but even that doesn't provide detailed data of how much file space each mod might use which makes it difficult to know how long is left to install everything or whether you'll run out of drive space in the process.)

Please don't consider this a rant though, more... food for thought when releasing new features. I know this one (the shadows function) is in alpha so no great expectations of support there but in general it can really help those of us with less tech savvy or experience from making silly mistakes like I did ;)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You know what we always say... When you hit trouble, jump on IRC and ask people. Always happy to be of service !

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Crybertrance

Update: I solved the problem and it was my second theory that did it. I had dragged/dropped the all the files from the .RAR that Crybertrance had provided straight into my FreeSpace2 root directory.

I did the EXACT same thing the first time I installed it, I was in the dark for quite sometime until I figured it out!! :p

I wanted to warn you in my earlier post, but I felt that a newcomer like me shouldn't open my mouth too often!  :rolleyes:
Happy you figured it out though
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
I think people always should come forward when you can help someone newbie or veteran. Thats what a cummunity should be. People flaming and trol.. no wait helping each other out and working together
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Crybertrance

I think people always should come forward when you can help someone newbie or veteran. Thats what a cummunity should be. People flaming and trol.. no wait helping each other out and working together

Will remember that next time! :yes:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.

OK, fixes seems to work fine, but I have one more bug to report.
Squadron insignia don't have shadows applied to them. If you look closely at the pic you'll see an insygnia on an otherwise shadowed area.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What do you have going on that's covering up the entire front half of a Hurricane V? :eek:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Space station.
It's docked to a very large shipyard, which is also shadowing the fighter.
Also, it's a (slightly upscaled) 600m version.  :) The station is actually Trashman's Aeglos (same model as Kumari from BP).

Offline Crybertrance

Valathil, could you please provide a debug version of the shadow build?

Offline Valathil

If you dont know how to compile the build yourself what use is going to be a debug build for you?
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
For... debugging, maybe ?

You don't need to know how to compile to be able to mod. Nor to be able to help coders with some specific crashes that they don't manage to reproduce.

Offline Crybertrance

If you dont know how to compile the build yourself what use is going to be a debug build for you?

:nervous:
1) It'll sure help to identify if the crashes are caused by your build or something on the users side..
2) It will help testers report their bugs more easily (I'm not talking about visual glitches)
3) It'll also help FREDers to identify some crashes (regular debug builds don't display models)

BTW I'm requesting, not DEMANDING :P, if its not possible just say no...  ;)

Offline Crybertrance

Im really sorry for the double post, but I found a BUG  :nod:

Notice in the picture how the Containers cast a shadow on the arms of the freighters even though the Sun is directly facing it..

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Maybe there are two suns and the other is flagged primary?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Valathil

no it happens because of the hackish way i did the shadow casting from other objects. Im thinking of ways to correct that. Im already aware of the issue quite some time. Since the one post with the video and the vanishing hecate shadow. Correcting this bug showed me that bug that was reported now
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃