Author Topic: BTRL ZIp  (Read 9046 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Well pretty much every asset that was seen in the BtRL demo has been replaced or heavily upgraded:
New Viper MKVII model
The Raider has been updated
Totally new asteroids and missiles

Anyway the episodic content will pay off for everyone with future releases, and will hopefully attract more interest so we can pop out even more models and assets for people. (not that R1 won't have plenty to play with for a while)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

I still haven't gotten back to finish my Stealthstar with my move back to DC and seeking new employment.
I admire the diligence it takes for you guys to take on something like this.
Cheers with beers gents =)

Anyway the episodic content will pay off for everyone with future releases, and will hopefully attract more interest so we can pop out even more models and assets for people. (not that R1 won't have plenty to play with for a while)

Episodic release, pleeeease. While I think it's cool that the devs are actually still working on this and any release will be great, an episodic release would/will make this a generational game.

Offline newman

Well, doing-everything-at-once release would take just as long while nobody has anything to play with. This way we release one, and people can play, mod, and make campaigns for it while we're working on the second release. Now how many releases we will realistically manage is a good question and will depend greatly on the events right after R1 is out. Whether we make 12 releases or just 2 is really beside the point - there will be something for the players to play with. That's way better than an over-ambitious, mega project that tries to do too much at once and never gets finished.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The argument over whether to do an episodic or full release is pretty much the only reason for the BrRL split we've actually made public. There were others but it was a major bone of contention for those of us now on the Diaspora team.

So there is no need to ask us to please do an episodic release, we've already had that argument 3 years ago and decided in favour of having one.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline maia

Nope. Dev version was never released, and if you were hoping to get your hands on that Galactica, I'm going to have to disappoint you - pretty much impossible. Dev versions were only available to the devs, and even then not everyone had access to everything. I still have the thing, but I promised I wouldn't give it to anyone when Omni gave it to me. So it'll be up to him to release it - or not.

I remember playing not as a regular mission but loading one of the files using a command. Galactica was there. What I mean is that the ship was not available in the scripted missions but could be loaded as a separate mission.  Either I got the dev release or there's something missing here. Check the mission files and try loading one by one. One of the missions has Galactica.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nope. Dev version was never released, and if you were hoping to get your hands on that Galactica, I'm going to have to disappoint you - pretty much impossible. Dev versions were only available to the devs, and even then not everyone had access to everything. I still have the thing, but I promised I wouldn't give it to anyone when Omni gave it to me. So it'll be up to him to release it - or not.

I remember playing not as a regular mission but loading one of the files using a command. Galactica was there. What I mean is that the ship was not available in the scripted missions but could be loaded as a separate mission.  Either I got the dev release or there's something missing here. Check the mission files and try loading one by one. One of the missions has Galactica.

The model was not present in the BtRL demo release.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It was present in the leaked alpha though. Is that what you're saying you played? Cause that's the only way you could have played a released BtRL mission in which you could fly around the Galactica. The Pegasus had a bitmap included so you could have it in the background though.

Hovers finger over ban button. :p

Seriously though, the leaked alpha did have a copy of the Galactica in it but even Omni, the designer of it, said it was pretty crap in comparison to the v2 version the devs had access to by then. The leak had basically no beta testing (hell, I doubt it had testing period!) and as such is likely to crash a lot. It's almost certainly incompatible with any recent build of FS2_Open too.

Offline maia

Hovers finger over ban button.

:wtf:

I'd hit it if it makes you happy, you make the rules man  :yes: ! Mind you I'm FTL ready but I can be back with a different ship signature  :pimp:

You can allways spy my PM's though.  What's the expression , can't recall ... Oh I remember ! Nazi forum !!!

But anyway, why all the trouble with a beta ship from a dead alpha project may I ask ? Does it have to do with "size" or something ? Just curious ...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was joking. I thought the :p would be a dead give-away.

We never really cared about the leaked alpha even back in the BtRL days. Hell we even told people who had it to have fun playing it. There was only one real reason we didn't like people talking about the alpha or distributing it. We didn't want people mistaking it for the real BtRL. Hell, we still don't want people thinking that it's Diaspora, although the chances of that happening are fairly minor.

As for referring to BtRL as a dead project, the truth is, **** knows if it's actually dead. I do know that work continued on BtRL for some time after the split, even after the website stopped being updated. For all we know, they're still working on it.

Offline joncfc

As for referring to BtRL as a dead project, the truth is, **** knows if it's actually dead. I do know that work continued on BtRL for some time after the split, even after the website stopped being updated. For all we know, they're still working on it.

haven't you heard anything from the old mod? I thought you lot were mates..

I would have thought they were still at it considering the website has been painted..

http://www.beyondtheredline.net/

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, all that has changed there are a few graphics and a removal of all mentions regarding BSG. Hell, for someone who has no idea what BtRL is, it's impossible to figure out what it is from that site alone...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy ****, it got uglier and now sounds even more like it was written by a schizophrenic. What's going on over there?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Holy ****, it got uglier and now sounds even more like it was written by a schizophrenic. What's going on over there?

I don't know, but I think it's hilarious that they want people to volunteer (and be ready to be Super Committed, Yo) without giving the remotest clue what they're volunteering for or even what skills they need.  :rolleyes:

Offline maia

I was joking. I thought the :p would be a dead give-away.

No worries man. :)

We never really cared about the leaked alpha even back in the BtRL days. Hell we even told people who had it to have fun playing it. There was only one real reason we didn't like people talking about the alpha or distributing it. We didn't want people mistaking it for the real BtRL. Hell, we still don't want people thinking that it's Diaspora, although the chances of that happening are fairly minor.

I believe my BtRL copy lies inside a dead hard drive anyway. For the record, the mission with Galactica had a flak barrage with some intense fights. Linear but entertaining. The Galactica model was ok imho, it served its porpuse. And regarding purpose, most die hard fans feel wonderfully happy with small things like that.

About BtRL right now, well ... it's weird. Very weird and mind boggling ... it feels like the profile of a volunteer is the same as a devils imp.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep, the previous BtRL team members aren't saying exactly why we split from BtRL, but that website makes it increasingly obvious that we had to.

I do like the fact there was a Linux version...