Author Topic: BTRL ZIp  (Read 9042 times)

Hi can someone put up the BTRL installer in a zip because the proxy doesn't let me downland exe straight from the web
May the Force be with you

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
http://freespacemods.net/download.php?list.68
There are a few things for BTRL, your proxy shouldn't complain about downloading from FSMods.
If it doesn't let you download any .exe, then get a better proxy, I can't imagine being limited like that.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=1676

Mirror if anyone wants fast, server seeded torrent of BtrL.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Anyone want to play a multi match? :)

Thanks, the pic for the download shows the galactica in it and claims its an actual in game shot ???
I'm grabbing the torrent  out of curiosity now, but, I didnt think they ever put in the cap ships?

Offline newman

The demo had a mineral miner. That was the only capship released. Omni's Galactica wasn't released but it was present in the dev versions.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Hmmm wonder if it was a dev version?

Offline newman

Nope. Dev version was never released, and if you were hoping to get your hands on that Galactica, I'm going to have to disappoint you - pretty much impossible. Dev versions were only available to the devs, and even then not everyone had access to everything. I still have the thing, but I promised I wouldn't give it to anyone when Omni gave it to me. So it'll be up to him to release it - or not.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Ok thanks Newman, just got curious because I never got to play with any major cap ships in BtRL and the pic with the description saying it was an actual game image had me thinking I missed something entirely lol!

Offline newman

Just a bit more patience and.. (I'll let the speculation begin) :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The capships weren't even included in the BtRL VP files?  I mean, I know the campaign missions didn't use them, but the actual resource wasn't included?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Nope. Besides the Miner no other capships were in the vps. Well, the Pegasus was/ is. Sorta.

Offline newman

Like I said, no. The demo only had the mineral miner. BtRL's policy was to not release assets not currently used in missions, because it's nice when devs get to use their ships first. If BtRL had actually released battlestars, basestars etc. I suspect you'd have quite a bit of fan made campaigns featuring them by now :)
Not sure what you mean by the Pegasus, Angelus. It wasn't released with the demo, as far as I know. Nor anywhere else. Unless it was a part of the alpha leak, which was before my time.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Hehe, you're right, there were no other caps besides the miner.
There was a bitmap of the Pegasus in the BtrL vps, but it was never used ingame. That's why i said "it's sorta in the game".

This info was, btw, "leaked" by kara back on Gamewarden, and it sure did send several people there on the hunt for the beast.  :p

Why was this disbanded again? This demo was intense. Also, how many of its crew are now involved in diaspora?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All of them, more or less.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

Far as I know only two people I'm sure still had intentions to work on it stayed. The rest of us migrated to Diaspora for reasons that were our own. We stated artistic differences, and that's pretty much all we were ever prepared to say on the matter. None of us were in contact with the remaining BtRL members for quite some time so we have no recent information on the status of BtRL. Most people assume it was disbanded, but without any positive information we can't really be sure. We're pretty much solely focused on Diaspora. And beer.

Gotcha.  So I guess the bottom line question of the day is, is Diaspora just BtRL rebranded?  I mean, "artistic differences" are one thing, but if most of you guys left one thing to go work on something else that is very much in the same vein, there can't be too much difference, can there?  You're all still working together, right?
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline newman

Well, it's not BtRL rebranded as we essentially restarted the project, and chose a different style of storytelling (episodic as opposed to one huge release) and naturally completely different plotline(s). What's similar is that it's a viper sim based on a fs2_open engine with SCP support. While some of the graphical assets were carried over by members who crossed over to Diaspora, a lot of them were upgraded/replaced with better ones; as time goes by certain things become obsolete.
Long story short, while both games have obvious similarities, Diaspora is not just rebranded BtRL.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Although switching to Diaspora instead of continuing BtRL did mean we had to rebuild a lot of stuff from scratch, most of the team are convinced that we wouldn't have gotten BtRL out any faster. Episodic releases are the way to go, even if the first one is taking a lot longer than we had planned.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]