Author Topic: Recon Probes  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Riven

I had an idea the other day for a recon drone for FS2 but have no idea on how this would be implemented but i guess it would require some source work. Seeming as i don't know didly about writting source i thought i would give everyone else the idea.

Keeping well back from the target in a stealth fighter a recon probe jumps in. The player can target and view from it and move it about using their own controls while remaining completely stationary. This could be used in many different mission types with more story telling in mission because these probes may 'intercept' top secret transmissions both between foe and allies!

Targeting the probe is easy enough and viewing via the "/" key on the numpad but can this be written into the source and how on earth could the controls be re-routed to the probe. I'm not sure if it even is possible but give me your ideas.

I've got plenty more strange ideas like this so you might hear a few more in the future.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Strange idea? you can already do this in Iwar2 ;)
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Mmmmmm. Antimatter Remotes: for when you absolutely, positively have to destroy everything in a 10km radius, and let its family know its dead. :D

Remotes -- and indeed, remote control in general -- is a great thing to have at your disposal outside of the standard space-fighter oriented genre. Iwar2 makes heavy use of this game mechanic, as Venom said.

On the other hand, neither Iwar2, nor getting away from the tried-and-true Freespace formula seems terribly popular here.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
could also be used for fly by wire bombs
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Now that would be fun Bobboau!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
All you'd have to do is put in a few sexps. Like:

When
-And
--KeyPressed
---(whatever)
--KeyPressed
---KeyPad6
-TurnRight
--Probe 1
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Anaz

I have an even easier idea than using sexps...

From my little bit of prog experience, when you listen for the keypress (like seeing if they pressed the button to move the ship left), just see what has the movement focus with an if statement.

case IDM_UP:
    if(focus == probe)
        probe.x++;
    if(focus == ship)
        ship.x++;
    break;

all of that is entirely theory because I haven't been messing with the code at all...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...