Author Topic: Could the News area on the forums' main page be a fixed size?  (Read 4560 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Could the News area on the forums' main page be a fixed size?
I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but since there are now multiple news items from Sandwich, with one of the items being significantly longer than the other, when the News area on the forums' main page changes from one item to the other (it only displays one item at a time), the entire page below the News area shifts, since the News area's size is adjusted to fit the currently displayed item. For me at least, this periodic shifting around is kind of distracting.

Would it be possible to make the News area's size fixed to, say, the size needed to display the longest news item currently available? That way, the page wouldn't shift around every few seconds.

Alternatively, I guess you could just display all News items on the forums' main page at all times, regardless of how many there are.

What does everyone else think?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Could the News area on the forums' main page be a fixed size?
I knew I wasn't crazy!

I thought I kept noticing the forums jumping around.. now I know why!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
I don't find it that annoying to tell the truth, but if that could be done it would be better.
I love the news bar btw, very nice fading effect between each one :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
It is kinda annoying that news are displayed TWICE on the main index, on the yellow bar and then under News. At least you can hide the lower news by clicking the minimize button on far right. On the other hand, the news on yellow bar do not cycle unless you refresh the page. But even more so, the news about FS network must be months old by now. Is it really necessary to keep flashing news that are no way current anymore?

I'd get rid of the yellow bar and instead improve the News section of the index to draw more attention to it. There's no need to have two places to display news, it just takes up vertical space which is already eaten up by ads and highlights. In fact, on high resolution displays the upper part of the main forum index looks seriously underused as far as horizontal space is concerned and unnecessarily takes up vertical space instead.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
OK, Ima throw my voice in on this one yet again...

Several times now I've gone to click a link, the news switches size and I end up clicking on someone's name instead. Super annoying... Fixed size plz?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I was actually just coming in here to congratulate who ever programed that as it looks great, however I do agree it would look much nicer if it was at a fixed size.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Ah, good, other people got around to bringing this issue back up, since I was about to do so myself.

EDIT: The size issue aside, it does look nice, as Bobboau pointed out.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:13:48 pm by jg18 »

Uh, yeah. This is growing rather annoying.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've removed the longer news announcement, and will keep the issue in mind for future news posts. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
* Dekker whispers........

<whisper>Frames, you know they make sense.............they're our friends...........Frames................</whisper>
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
* Sandwich smacks Dekker upside the head with a wet trout
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Woot frames!  I wuv Web 1.0!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
<3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ha!  I remember that Viacom campaign against Star Trek sites.  Though I'm fairly certain the logo didn't have a ribbon in it...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lacks <blink>
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Lacks <blink>
I knew better, even back then.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is that the same page as it was back in 1997?  It contains a suspiciously large number of references to that era of the web all in one small space.  A specific page about an animated GIF, a link to RealAudio, a list of every popular search engine, a page with samples of tiled background, etc...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yup. My very first. :D