Author Topic: SOTS 2 overtakes modern warfare 3 in Steam Top sales  (Read 14834 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: SOTS 2 overtakes modern warfare 3 in Steam Top sales
Does your video card support DX10?

Offline Mikes

1 hour on Steam, 1 hour!!!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I look forward to how terrible it turns out to be out of the box.

Besides, it's not like anyone really thinks MW3 is going to be any good, so beating it's not much of an achievement.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I could swear Steam just pushed SotS release timer back four hours.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

I guess, or at least hope so. Radeon HD 5670
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, that's on the safe side.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
OK, thank you guys. I'm going to the store tomorrow and getting myself a copy of W7 home premium 64b. No response from steam though, I already cancelled :( If they aren't reacting fast enough, and my upgrade works, then I will download it.   Anyway, since I polluted that thread, feel free to move, remove or delete my comments that are not really belonging here :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yep, that's what happened. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2206549

Edit: SotS2 is now available on Steam!
Edit2: Now installed and playing!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:02:23 pm by Fury »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Valve Timer.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
There's a Song of the South video game?

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
SOTS2 available on GamersGate....90kb/s download....looks like everyone and their grandmother is downloading.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mikes

Well good and bad news: The current build on steam is an accidentially uploaded beta build (even has a "b" in the version number).

I.e. crashes galore. New build supposedly to be uploaded "soon". Poor guys on the Kerb forums said they were on hour 50 in the office LOL.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
sounds like crunch is still in full swing.  Who set their schedule?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well good and bad news: The current build on steam is an accidentially uploaded beta build (even has a "b" in the version number).

I.e. crashes galore. New build supposedly to be uploaded "soon". Poor guys on the Kerb forums said they were on hour 50 in the office LOL.
Oh yeah. Somebody screwed up the pooch in this launch. First Steam pushes release back by about 35 minutes (gasp!) and then it's the beta version and not final. In any case, the final is now downloadable in Steam. I wonder if other online retailers had beta or final.

SOTS2 available on GamersGate....90kb/s download....looks like everyone and their grandmother is downloading.
Hah, getting 1.2 - 1.4 MB/sec off from Steam. :p

Edit: Well, SotS2 did update but it looks like it's yet another beta version and not final. Seriously? *shakes head in utter disappointment*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:08:02 am by Fury »

I guess, or at least hope so. Radeon HD 5670

Thats the same that I have - It can run DX11.

It can run Deus Ex on DX11 with everything on 'normal' and with MLAA on for me.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Eh?

Finished uploading from gamesgate...installed....once that installations finished, it auto-boots steam and continues to "update" from there....6 hours to go...

Some crazy system....and some crazy traffic for this game.

Also, Kerberos forums seem to be down because of all the activity.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, I just played the game a few hours, and I don't even know for sure if this is actually the final version or if they uploaded another beta. But anyway.

- All other screens such as ship design, build, research, encyclopedia open up quickly. But returning to starmap takes way too long.
- Once game has progressed to a point where there are combats, you get combat simulation screen for each and every combat regardless of whether they are within your sensor range or not. So you have to wait for battles to finish that take place in the other side of the galaxy when you're just up to turn 5. At least there is automatic time acceleration that speeds it up, but it is still extremely stupid because when you have a lot of combats in single turn, getting back to your own turn takes friggin' forever.
- It seems as if they kept sounds/voices from SotS. Urgh, my ears.
- Ship design UI is crap. They apparently tried to make it more interactive with this UI design, but it is horrible when it comes down to usability.
- SotS UI was faster, more intuitive and easier to learn. In SotS2 I had to look up the help menu for tips like how to move my fleets.

In short. The UI is worse than in SotS and there's way too much waiting, waiting and then some more waiting.

This better be another beta and not final. If this is final version of the game, this is very disappointing. There seems to be a good game under all this. but they really should have spent more time on making user experience better.

I have yet to make it to my first combat because I got tired of all this waiting. I want to play and not fiddle my thumbs waiting for my turn or getting back to starmap dammit.

Edit: As Kerberos forums aren't working, I'm pointing you to Steam forums instead to read list of bugs of current build that is available in Steam.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2208346

All I can say is, goddammit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:29:41 am by Fury »

Offline Mikes

I have yet to make it to my first combat because I got tired of all this waiting. I want to play and not fiddle my thumbs waiting for my turn or getting back to starmap dammit.

Start on the map "Fight" and you can have combat in turn 2. Still dabbling around myself... but the actual combat looks very promising. Tons of new options like rolling ship, limited 3d movement (3 combat planes), detailled damage values on each ship, combat sensors that show the whole system with its planets, etc.

The strategic UI does not... look that great, especially not compared to Sots1, as you yourself pointed out. Strategic mode also has its improvements however, most visibly that you now have real star systems with planets in each jump node, which is a huge improvement from Sots1. Aside from that the number of crash/showstopper bugs appears to be still prohibitive in this build.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:29:05 am by Mikes »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Someone dropped the ball big time.

I have no doubt it will all get sorted out, but ....dayum...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Aside from that reviews suck anyways and reviews of space strategy games even more... even Homeworld 2 barely got some 60% in the games magazine i used to read back then LOL.
Except that's actually pretty spot on for Homeworld 2, the campaign was terrible, with poor map design and even worse story/plot, balance was pretty poor too, all you ever needed to do was just mass battlecruisers, which the AI loved to do when you just started building your third destroyer.

Really, all it is is a good modding platform.

I might try SOTS II when it gets cheaper, cause honestly, I'm poor as dirt atm.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL