Author Topic: RELEASE: PyroGX Conversion  (Read 8711 times)

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
RELEASE: PyroGX Conversion
Remember the Descent series? Weren't those great games? Well, one of the coolest most stylin aspects of that game was the ship you flew, the PyroGX.
So I was browsing one day and stumbled on a recently updated and publicly released version of the old PyroGX model, so I decided to convert it to FSO!
Really, this conversion is more of less a requirement for any community that calls itself a freespace community to have. Even though freespace isn't the direct child of the Descent series, the games are both closely tied together! You may not debate this!

Now if you're thinking to youself "I'm guna make a game featuring this model and sell it for money! Time to cash out baby!" Don't do that. Keep in mind this model is still technically intellectual property of Interplay and the guy who calls himself Metalbeast that remastered it.

Ok enough of that, Prepare for Descent...
DOWNLOAD HERE!

BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: RELEASE: PyroGX Conversion
YES!  :-DDDDDDD 

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Nice!   :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I remember seeing the Pyro GX in FreeSpace before, it was a different model though I believe. Either way it's nice seeing it again.

Offline starlord

oh that's nice! might anyone have an expediator? I believe I once saw someone in HLP talking about a model of that ship!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:29:35 am by starlord »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
A new hero, we have one.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline starlord

sorry?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I remember seeing the Pyro GX in FreeSpace before, it was a different model though I believe. Either way it's nice seeing it again.

someone converted the d3 pyros. but they were just ripped from d3. this pyro actually looks like the one that was ported to d2xxl or into cerberon.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline starlord

I think that was tempest! He also stated that he had an expediator model.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

This is the new and improved GX... actual Descent/DII GXes were quite low poly (as seen in the death cam when you blow up).

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It was neither the Retail model or the Descent 3 models (As there is no Pyro GX).
It might have been the model from Pyromania which did add the Pyro GX and other ships into Descent 3.

Plus with having MetalBeast mentioned it's pretty clear that it's the "newest" high-poly model that's been used for D2X-XL.

Edit: It might've been this thread that had it, but the links are all 404'd.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=43260.20

Beginning of '07, MetalBeast's Pyro GX (WiP) thread was '08, so it wouldn't have been this very model of this very thread four years ago if it didn't appear until three years ago.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:49:41 pm by Commander Zane »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This is Pyro GX as seen in D1 and D2.
What was released some time ago was Pyro GL, along with Magnum AHT and Phoenix, all from D3. While GL resembles GX, they're noticeably different.
It would be great if we could get an Expediator into FS. Perhaps along with a few robot models and original designs, a Descent 3 mod could be made for FS, focused on space combat. Could be interesting to try and fit it both into FS and Red Faction storylines (D3 mentions a rebellion on Mars, and IIRC, not many things prohibit these three series from being in the same universe).

Offline starlord

Might anyone still be in contact with tempest? He did state he had one made (though not mapped)...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive got this in max 8 format if anyone wants to finish it

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Hmm, I could find a use for this. Not for the Descent universe itself, but Wings 2 could use some civilian fighters...

Does anyone still have or know where to get the POF conversions of the Descent 3 ships? And could someone convert D3X-XL's concussion and homing missiles?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.175
These are simple conversions though, so they're effectively retail quality.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.175
These are simple conversions though, so they're effectively retail quality.

retail d3, which came out before fs2.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, but there's relatively little difference between the two when it comes to polycount and texture quality.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
d3 used an ancient texture convention, a lot of small textures even on fighters, freespace tended to use a texture or two for most small ships (and tiled big ones).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The D3 fighter conversions are all baked, so each has only one texture.

Also anyone who wants to use the Pyro-GX's actual size should know that it is only supposed to be around 5 meters long (hence the huge cockpit). So if you want it at its proper size, use a scale factor of around 0.33.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta