Poll

W2K or XP

Windows 2000 Professional
6 (33.3%)
Windows XP Professional
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: May 31, 2002, 03:47:01 pm

Author Topic: W2K SP2 or XP?  (Read 2469 times)

im dual-bootin soon
98SE and another OS

which one is betta W2K wid SP2 or WinXp pro

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Go with 2k.

You can actually burn CDs out of the box on 2k. ;)  (You have to download ASPI drivers to burn CDs in XP)

Nitpicking aside, XP is just 2k ME-ified.  Wait for XP SP1 before upgrading.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Actually depends on what hardware you're running. I've run 2k Pro perfectly fine on a Pentium 2 200Mhz MMX laptop with 96Mb RAM - smooth as silk. Meanwhile, XP Home ran like molasses on my brother's Celeron 500/128Mb RAM - and yes, it's the Celeron with cache. ( :rolleyes: )

Besides, 2k has had all the drivers ironed out already, XP hasn't yet.

One other thing is that you're dual-booting. The only reson to prefer XP over 2K is for it's gaming stuff, but 98se solves that. But hey - I do all my gaming in 2k anyways - so I lose 5 frames from my frame rate , but I gain stability. :yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

looks like im goin wid W2K
thanx peeps

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Reppyboyo
looks like im goin wid W2K

:yes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Yeah.. I'm running XP right now, and it does have a few problems... slower than 2K like Sandwich said... Once they iron the bugs out of it, XP will be the best one.
The only drawback to 2K is that some programs wont run on it.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Overall, I think XP is the best of the two. It does have better game compatibility.

But if you are dual booting anyways, then it might be better to take W2k and play under W98.

M$ quits supporting W98 this summer, so don't expect new patches for it after summer.

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Mr. Fury
M$ quits supporting W98 this summer, so don't expect new patches for it after summer.

Isn't it next (2003) summer? I hope so... :headz:

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
XP is a terrible peice of bug ridden S**e

Performance goes down the pan, the supposedly "new" caching code degrades write performance to under 10% of what it was before, and dont get me started on what it does to memory or CPU performance.

If you dont play that many games, just use win2k.

XP i'm not touching with a bargepole for at least another year.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by wEvil
...bug ridden S**e

S**e??? :wtf:

thats y im duel-bootin

98SE for Games/Internet

W2K for apps like 3d studio max etc (betta mam management and stability)

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
What I'm doing once I format.. 2k for everything ME/98 for what 2k wont run.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by Redfang

Isn't it next (2003) summer? I hope so... :headz:

No, it's this summer as far as I know. M$ already quitted supporting of Win95 some time ago. This forces people to go with XP as it does have better gaming support than W2k, unless they don't give jack **** about OS updates. ;) Also, M$ also quits NT4 support at the same time as W98, this forces companies to move to W2k or XP.

And as we all know, WinME is not an option...

98 support ends this summer...
i dont like ME
too bloody buggy

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Reppyboyo
98 support ends this summer...
i dont like ME
too bloody buggy

That's what XP reminds me of! WinME's buggy everything around 2K's stable kernel - but with an interface designed by Fisher-Price... :D :lol:

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Originally posted by sandwich

S**e??? :wtf:

****e :rolleyes:  ;)

Offline Redfang

Check this for support things...

So it seems that Win98 will be supported till June, 2003. Good for me. :)

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by wEvil
XP is a terrible peice of bug ridden S**e

Performance goes down the pan, the supposedly "new" caching code degrades write performance to under 10% of what it was before, and dont get me started on what it does to memory or CPU performance.

If you dont play that many games, just use win2k.

XP i'm not touching with a bargepole for at least another year.

And if you have any SCSI hardware, do not get XP.  Performance is well below IDE speeds.

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by MD-2389

And if you have any SCSI hardware, do not get XP.  Performance is well below IDE speeds.

This is fixed already if I remember correctly.

Edit: And WinXP works like a dream for me, still there are some minor bugs and I can't wait for SP1 to be released. ;)

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
To my knowlege, it hasn't.