Author Topic: Stopping Video Game Piracy  (Read 8746 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Stopping Video Game Piracy
this! i would buy more games if they were cheaper. right now i can afford (at your typical price of $50-$70) about 2 a year, and there are many that i want that are out or near release. right now im going to have to wait for a lot of those to hit the bargain bin before i can buy them.

Good thing maybe two really worthy games come out a year
I mean, there are times where there's a sudden influx of great stuff, but two a year is pretty well standard as far as games worth buying at 60$ go.

the millennium was a serious pita for this
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
this! i would buy more games if they were cheaper. right now i can afford (at your typical price of $50-$70) about 2 a year, and there are many that i want that are out or near release. right now im going to have to wait for a lot of those to hit the bargain bin before i can buy them.

Good thing maybe two really worthy games come out a year
I mean, there are times where there's a sudden influx of great stuff, but two a year is pretty well standard as far as games worth buying at 60$ go.

the millennium was a serious pita for this

On the plus side, when you have to wait for the price drops, you get all the bugfix patches rolled in the first time you pick up the game to play it. I think the unofficial bugtracker thread on Skyrim's up to about 500 items, as of this morning...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've actually pre-ordered two games this year, which is two more than I've ever done before.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i tried to pre-order rage but i couldn't find a place that did pre-orders that would also ship to a p.o. box. i still dont have it yet.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i have paid more than $30 for a game ONCE in my life.  even $30 is rare, it's usually $20 or less.  it was when i was 10 or so and i bought an N-64 game (battletanx) for $60 i think it was.  buying a year or more late has awsome advantages.  price first and foremost, potentially having a better PC that can run it maxed without problems (ex: crysis), plenty of time for reviews so you don't waste money on a dud (ex: far cry 2, C&C 4), and the aforementioned bugfixing.  sometimes multiplayer might already be dead by the time i get it, but that doesn't bother me because 1) i'm not really into multi anyway, and 2) that's probably a pretty good indication that the MP sucked.

woops, twice it was i paid more than $30.  i bought FS2 for $80 on ebay, because i thought the sim of the year edition actually had meaningful extra content.  oops.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Mikes

While indie games tend to be rather good entertainment for the buck, they really can't compete with professional studios when it comes to visuals and audio. And let's face it, those are what drives the masses towards your game because in the end, it is really hard to capture gameplay in screenshots and trailers. In trailers you can show off what happens on the screen, but not necessarily how player interacts with the game. Worst of all, trailers usually have HUD and other elements disabled to provide a cinematic trailer, in those cases we won't see quick-time events and whatever else. So we cannot distinguish scripted events from quick-time events and dynamic events.

Like Minecraft, huh?

Publishers still stick to their old traditions of region locked launches even with delivery platforms, there is absolutely no need for this stupid region locking anymore these days. But the bigger failure of delivery platforms are the myriad of problems that tend to occur on launch day. A lot of games have had problems when they've become available on delivery platform like Steam. There seems definitely be a lack of QA from both publisher/developer and delivery platform to ensure that the game is ready to be launched when it does.

As long as there are different currencies and economies, there is a huge incentive for region locks in order to maximize profit. That's all there is to it really.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:24:44 am by Mikes »

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
plenty of time for reviews so you don't waste money on a dud (ex: far cry 2, C&C 4),

What was wrong with Farcry 2? D:
I loved that game and it's infinite maps
"No"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
plenty of time for reviews so you don't waste money on a dud (ex: far cry 2, C&C 4),

What was wrong with Farcry 2? D:
I loved that game and it's infinite maps

The idea and technology was fine, the execution of it on the other hand?...It left much to be desired.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Davros

I would love to be at a developer meeting with a drn company

drm salesman : "And so that concludes my presentation on our latest drm product, any questions ?"

dev : "so it will cost several hundred thousand dollars, how much piracy will having this product prevent"

drm salesman : "prevent! none its totally infective at preventing or indeed lowering piracy, the same as all the previous products you've bought from us"

dev : "excellent we'll take it"