Author Topic: The Skyward Sword Thread  (Read 5938 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
The Skyward Sword Thread
:nervous: I want to know if it's any good before I buy it...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:16:58 pm by Retsof »
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Re: Anyone played Skyward Sward yet?
If you don't mind the swordplay controls (which are actually less awkward than you'd expect), this game has potential to dethrone Ocarina of Time.

Get it.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I don't think anyone anywhere has ever (or will ever) play "Skyward Sward."  ;)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
If you don't mind the swordplay controls (which are actually less awkward than you'd expect), this game has potential to dethrone Ocarina of Time.

Get it.
How very interesting, I am becoming motivated  :drevil:.
I don't think anyone anywhere has ever (or will ever) play "Skyward Sward."  ;)
*facepalm*  I blame Chrome's spellchecker for not noticing.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Haven't played it yet, although the gold Wiimote bundle is currently in the house awaiting my possession on Christmas. :D

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I'd actually like to know, from a story/plot standpoint, where this stands on the scale of Zeldanian-verisimilitude.

(THE BELOW SCALE IS REPRESENTATIVE OF MY OPINION, I HAVE NO DESIRE TO EXPLAIN IT)

Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask are low; Ocarina, Link to the Past, and Wind Waker are high; Zelda, TAO Link, et. al are mid-range.

Please note that this list excludes (save Link's Awakening) all handheld titles and the series which will not be named.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
30+ hours in here.  The motion controls work really well for swordplay but IMO not as well for anything that requires aiming when compared to the simpler implementation in Twilight Princess (you constantly have to recenter the reticle or you end up not being able to look in the right direction).  The "overworld" is even emptier than it was in Wind Waker, though not nearly as tedious to navigate, and instead there are three medium-sized areas that you revisit over and over, each of which has multiple subdungeons branching off of it.  The story is slightly more involved than in past games and there are some Majora's Mask-esque interactions with the secondary characters, some of which are pretty endearing.  The lack of a "Hyrule Field" type area contributes to the linear feel, but in terms of gameplay it's all very enjoyable, and there are plenty of pleasant surprises.  Looking forward to seeing how it ends.

+1 for the controls here. They take some getting used to, but once you figure out how to make the most of them, the sword-fighting becomes MUCH more fun, especially considering how Twilight Princess combat was a big waggle-fest.

Not too far into the story myself (start of 3rd real dungeon) but I have already gotten a sense of the linearity that swashmebuckle mentioned.

When all is said and done though, it's still a Zelda game and IMO it lives up to the standard (speaking purely as a fanboi here).

I'm only three dungeons in but so far I'm loving it. The story and characters are very well-done. And Skyloft is gorgeous. Although the overworld (har, har, pun) could have more stuff in it, the ability to fly with non-sucky flying controls is totally worth it.

And oh my god the sword controls. This is amazing. Enemies now actually require some strategy to beat rather than just "swing sword a bunch, win". Trying to do that in this game leads to a quick death.

My only complaint so far is that most of the puzzles have been pretty easy to figure out, but that's probably a consequence of 1. me having played a lot of Zelda games and 2. it still being pretty early on. Also, Fi needs to STFU sometimes. Not as bad as Navi, but...

Bottom Line: If you're a Zelda fan, GET THIS GAME. People are saying it rivals Ocarina in terms of quality, and I'm highly inclined to agree.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Played it. Beat it.

It's definitely a high quality Zelda game. It's generally enjoyable, the story is good, and it brings some new ideas to the table. (A few of which, as a long-time Zelda fan, I do NOT like. One of those is having to carry a couple medals to have a full heart meter... which wouldn't be so bad if you could only carry limited items, but given the nature of that addition, my guess is that we'll see it again in later installments.)

BUT, it's definitely a fresh take on the Zelda franchise. I personally prefer TP because it felt bigger and more epic, same reason why I loved WW too. While this one's story is of the epic "world doom" scale, it tells it from a very intimate standpoint.

In the end though, it's worth the $50.

Also, I'm guessing Four Swords in the series that won't be named? FSA was actually somewhat enjoyable! A very interesting way of trying multiplayer Zelda too! I give Nintendo props for even trying that.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Also, I'm guessing Four Swords in the series that won't be named? FSA was actually somewhat enjoyable! A very interesting way of trying multiplayer Zelda too! I give Nintendo props for even trying that.
No, those were different, but from everything I've heard they were just fine.  I'm assuming he means the real black sheep...*cough*CD-i*cough*

Nope. Those don't exist. Nintendo said so.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've got no idea what yall are talking about with the series that doesn't exist.  then again, i only really know the console titles from OOT on, plus link's awakening.
I like to stare at the sun.

The CDi games.

They don't exist.

Wait, the what games?

I'm a little bit over 26 hours into the game and just finished the fourth dungeon.  I haven't devoted much time to mini games or side quests so far.

Overall, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.  The motion controls are quite accurate the majority of the time.

I'd like to pose a question to those on HLP who are in the process of playing or have beaten Skyward Sword.  Did you opt to upgrade any of your items or shields?
So far, I've upgraded my bomb bag and my wooden shield to their second level.  I'm debating on whether to upgrade anything else.

EDIT:  FI could certainly learn to talk a bit less.  She has any annoying tendency of stating the obvious.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:44:26 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
The CDi games.

They don't exist.

what does that stand for? 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline LHN91

The CDi games.

They don't exist.

what does that stand for? 

Phillips CD-i. A more or less failed game console/entertainment device/thingy from the early 90's. Stands for CD-interactive.

EDIT: For more accurate description
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:43:40 pm by LHN91 »

I'm a little bit over 26 hours into the game and just finished the fourth dungeon.  I haven't devoted much time to mini games or side quests so far.

Overall, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.  The motion controls are quite accurate the majority of the time.

I'd like to pose a question to those on HLP who are in the process of playing or have beaten Skyward Sword.  Did you opt to upgrade any of your items or shields?
So far, I've upgraded my bomb bag and my wooden shield to their second level.  I'm debating on whether to upgrade anything else.

EDIT:  FI could certainly learn to talk a bit less.  She has any annoying tendency of stating the obvious.

I'm much less into the game than you but I already upgraded both shields once. I guess it depends on how much you use the shield. Since raising the shield is no longer done automatically when you target now, I find that I dodge a lot more than I block. Then again, I don't know if further in there will be fights where shield bashing is necessary and failing to time it right will require an upgraded shield for all the damage it takes.

Also, yes FI does state the obvious a lot. It makes me wonder if I feel that way because I've played a lot of Zelda games and I "get" how they work, or because they're trying to make it easier by pointing out every little mechanism that differs from conventional games.

I'm much less into the game than you but I already upgraded both shields once. I guess it depends on how much you use the shield. Since raising the shield is no longer done automatically when you target now, I find that I dodge a lot more than I block. Then again, I don't know if further in there will be fights where shield bashing is necessary and failing to time it right will require an upgraded shield for all the damage it takes.

Also, yes FI does state the obvious a lot. It makes me wonder if I feel that way because I've played a lot of Zelda games and I "get" how they work, or because they're trying to make it easier by pointing out every little mechanism that differs from conventional games.

Yes Fi, I do know my Wiimote batteries are low...

Took me a while to get used to the new shield mechanic.  I had to do the first boss with no shield at all.  Defeating some of the later monsters pretty much requires the use of shield bash to defeat them, especially as some monsters are smart enough to run away from your bombs!  Buying (and upgrading) the sacred shield asap helps a lot.  It can handle both fire and electricity and self repairs any damage it receives.  It can even deflect Beamos beams with the right timing. 

The treasures are a little annoying.  You see a chest in a dungeon and you go out of your way to get to it only to find its a malice crystal or when you load your savegame and in the heat of battle with half a dozen moblins or so and all of a sudden 'jingle you just found a skull emblem, blah blah blah'.  I have 20 or so allready, shut up!  To be fair Twilight Princess was worse for this.  Load a save and bam, you just picked up a green rupee, thats worth 1 rupee, you just picked up a blue rupee and so on...

Anyhoow, I finished the game a couple of days ago.  My wrists are still recovering...
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.