Author Topic: What should the GTVA's strategy be?  (Read 168841 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: What should the GTVA's strategy be?
Why would they be given equipment to police the system?  Its not like they would just suddenly happily work for the GTVA.

Actually, if you read your history, many of them probably would.

Offline -Norbert-

I highly doubt that Steele, who won them the war, will be punished (unless the truth about his gamble with the Vasudans comes out), but I can't help to wonder what fate the GTVA has in store for Severanti...

Quote from: The wiki
Admiral Cyrus Severanti, Commanding Officer of the GTVA 13th Battlegroup, was the first Theater Commander in Sol. Originally deployed to Sol as backup for Admiral Bei's 14th BG, Admiral Severanti found himself in a difficult situation. With the most powerful ships in the fleet unavailable, and with considerable confusion on all levels of his command structure, he nonetheless pursued the mandate given to him by the GTVA Security Council with skill and determination.

Unfortunately, his slow, methodical, by-the-book approach was countered at every turn by Admiral Calder and the Jovian Rim Fleet, who used Admiral Calders' understanding of the GTVA psyche and the system-wide subspace surveillance net to always stay ahead of the Alliance fleet. After 18 months of uphill battles, Severanti was finally in a position to mount a major assault against 3rd Fleet positions, only to have his thunder stolen by the Security Council's decision to deploy the 15th Battlegroup under Admiral Steele in support of the 13th.

Severanti's subsequent actions, taken rashly in an effort to reassert his authority in Sol, lead straight to his flagship being ambushed by a UEF Frigate division, and he had to withdraw to Delta Serpentis to effect the necessary repairs, where he was reassigned to the GTVA Space War College to head the Advanced Tactics Course.

Yes I know that and he'll remain there for the rest of the war. But what happens after the war? Might the GTVA be willing to "sacrifice" him in the shape of a war crime tribunal as a first step toward reconciliation?
With the UEF and Ubuntu philosophy he won't face the death sentence, but probably would spend a decade or several in a prison, if convicted (or spend a few years there and then be quietly transfered over to GTVA space, once the incident faded enough from peoples minds to risk it).

It would be a bit low for the GTVA High Command, but these days I wouldn't put it beyond them.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
They can't afford to sacrifice Steele just for satisfying the UEF population. Steele is an excellent admiral and a genius stratege. They need him at the head of the Atreus for the next Shivan Incursion.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They can't afford to sacrifice Steele just for satisfying the UEF population. Steele is an excellent admiral and a genius stratege. They need him at the head of the Atreus for the next Shivan Incursion.

Uh. The quote is about Sevranti. And I doubt they'd sacrifice him either, since even if he had full operational control. Somebody could have reined him in if he was too out of line.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes I know that and he'll remain there for the rest of the war. But what happens after the war? Might the GTVA be willing to "sacrifice" him in the shape of a war crime tribunal as a first step toward reconciliation?
With the UEF and Ubuntu philosophy he won't face the death sentence, but probably would spend a decade or several in a prison, if convicted (or spend a few years there and then be quietly transfered over to GTVA space, once the incident faded enough from peoples minds to risk it).

No, I don't think so. At this point, the only admiral the UEF might harbor resentments against is Steele. It's more probable that Severanti will be either encouraged to leave service or get a cushy retirement post. Lest we forget, despite his blunder in Sol, Severanti is still a highly competent commander, and the GTVA is not in the habit of throwing valuable assets away without good cause.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Severanti is the man that did all the job for Steele. The Atreus' battlegroup would have sustained much heavier losses taking Jovian Space if Severanti hadn't spent his 18 months nuking the UEF's subspace communication and surveillance network, as well as eliminating the militias and harassing 3rd fleet's supply lines, all of this with ridiculously low losses for the Tevs.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline qwadtep

I thought that Steele was a poor strategist against the Shivans, as per the stuff hidden on the Narayana.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
He is still an excellent commander and can do stuff with his Atreus no other admiral would even think about attempting. The Tevs need him.

Offline Drogoth

Is it possible Severanti might have an "accident"?

Don't let the UEF propaganda go to your head.. the Tevs aren't a space age banana republic. They aren't monsters in the habit of 'accidenting' away their Admirals. 

Also I'm in agreement that the UEF wouldn't really care either way if Severanti is punished. Notice how in the campaign, Steele is the UEF's boogeyman. Not the Tevs as a whole, not the Atreus, or the Security Council. Steele. Steele is the vessel and personification of every negative sentiment that a defeated UEF might carry. And the Security Council won't throw him to the dogs for the reasons people have already listed.

Which puts the GTVA back to square one. Any rift will take a long time to heal, there are no quick fixes I don't think.

OR

The Shivans will arrive and the UEF and the GTVA will band together much as the PVN and GTA did.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline CT27

Why would they be given equipment to police the system?  Its not like they would just suddenly happily work for the GTVA.

If not happily, then at least content to receive a paycheck.

Offline QuakeIV

• test

Wow weird.  Well I'll buy the paycheck thing. 

What about the history thing though?  Iv read lots of history but haven't heard much about the enemy armed forces actually going to the other side.

Offline -Norbert-

I thought that Steele was a poor strategist against the Shivans, as per the stuff hidden on the Narayana.
Sure his anti-UEF tactics wouldn't work against the Shivans, but it's a pretty save bet that Steele knows that too and thus wouldn't use them against the Shivans.
I'd even argue that Steele is more likely to be effective against the Shivans than other GTVA Admirals. All GTVA personel is specifically trained to combat Shivans. Steele was able to use his mind to adapt to fighting the UEF, even though that is extremely different from fighting the foe he was trained against. That shows adaptability. And with the Shivan's tendency to conjure up something new out of the blue, an adaptable Admiral is far better suited to combat them than a by-the-book kind of soldier.

As much as I dislike him (for reasons discussed in other places ad neuseum), I do (more or less grudginly) acknowledge his skill and effectiveness.

And I wouldn't put too much stock on something spraypainted on the inside of a UEF ship :P

Offline CT27

What about the history thing though?  Iv read lots of history but haven't heard much about the enemy armed forces actually going to the other side.

West Germany joined NATO not that long after the end of WW2.

Offline CT27

Just out of curiosity, which incidents in history were you referring to?

Offline Drogoth

West Germany joined NATO not that long after the end of WW2.

Just out of curiosity, which incidents in history were you referring to?

I`m having trouble reconciling these two posts against eachother CT27?
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline CT27

I thought of one example, just wondering if he had any others?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
JSDF/Imperial Japan. Russian and Eastern European troops who manned the Atlantic Wall for the Germans. (Hell, at Utah Beach the US Army captured a pair of Koreans who must have been captured by the Japanese, conscripted, captured by the Russians, conscripted, then captured by the Germans and conscripted. The US at least sent them home, though they probably got conscripted by somebody again during the Korean War.)

Probably could dig up a lot of people around the Middle Ages in Europe.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CT27

I remembered also the example of the US and Japan.  Extremely bitter and hated enemies during WW2 but now close allies/friends today (and we still have bases there today).

Offline -Norbert-

With the two nukes that makes for a really good example. One would think wiping out two towns with such terrible weapons would leave the people hate the USA for the next millenium.

On the other hand, the situation between the USA and Japan is different from the GTVA-UEF situation in two key points:
- America didn't take over the Japanese terretory.
- America didn't try to eradicate the japanese way of live and replace it with their own (well... not actively or at gunpoint anyway).

The GTVA tries to destroy the UEFs way of live and replace it with their own and they want to annex Sol. Those two are even the official reasons for why the GTVA went to war in the first place.
Of course the GTVA says that Ubuntu is making Humankind too weak to defend against the Shivans and thus we have to protect them from themselfs, rather than just saying "we want to destroy Ubuntu", but the bottomline is pretty much the same.

Offline qwadtep

On the other hand, the situation between the USA and Japan is different from the GTVA-UEF situation in two key points:
- America didn't take over the Japanese terretory.
- America didn't try to eradicate the japanese way of live and replace it with their own (well... not actively or at gunpoint anyway).
Some pretty nasty stuff happened during the occupation. Japan became an ally of the United States because it was economically and defensively critical to do so, not because there wasn't significant public resentment towards the United States.