Wut.
7 (23.3%)
Rawr.
7 (23.3%)
*Sneeze*
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: January 16, 2012, 10:09:22 am

Author Topic: 70th Blue Lions?  (Read 11513 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Sorry, it can be easy to get fixated on the little **** and miss the big picture.

It looks fantastic, mjn. Really. :yes:

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I'm tempted to use the "wrong" arm arrangement just to make a point that little **** like that shouldn't matter one damned bit. Sometimes I hate doing stuff for you guys.

I have to agree... The pipes of relevance (thick as they may be) are getting clogged by a lot of things that you should normally dump in a big truck.

It's not the exact form factor that is important, it's the impression. I think the un-edited version of the lion Mjn used was the best so far as far as facial impression, overall posture, and drawing style goes. It's like a lot of other stuff that is accepted in the FreeSpace Upgrade project - many models have artistic freedom in improving the design, and as long as it is identifiable as the original but made in higher definition, it usually as quite acceptable.

It's not like the lion being in slightly different position will adversely affect mission balance or identifiability.

That said, my opinion about this kind of edits...

Moving arms and legs around in a drawing is more likely to damage the overall impression of the drawing unless you are really, really good with what you're doing... case in point the switched arms look silly because the chest is now discontinuous and the right arm looks quite thin. Tail was improved, but I would rather leave the limbs alone, and either use the drawing as it is, or do something else.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I attempted to fix that left paw

I think this one looks excellent. Great work, mjn! :yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Yeah, the chest in SDM's version is messed up. I think mjn's latest version will fill the job nicely, though :yes:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The forward paws and feet are quite disproportionate... if you can fix that, it would be advisable.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Latest version looks great, thanks for fixing the left paw mjn!  Thaeris, i think if you look at the original, the paws are disproportionately large.  It's just part of the anthropomorphism of the lion.  In my very humble opinion, this turkey's done!

Why don't you just trace it? Put a translucent layer over top, and draw what's there. It would't take long, and it's be 100% accurate.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Why don't you just trace it? Put a translucent layer over top, and draw what's there. It would't take long, and it's be 100% accurate.

The original scales so badly that it is almost impossible to interpolate where you should put a line and where not.

However, this is actually what I did with my version - except IRL. Basically, I printed the original on an A4 sheet and taped another paper on top of it. Then I traced the outline of the lion the best I could.

That part was not the problem. Problem was giving the thing a decent facial expression as well as the detail of the mane, legs, muscles, and tail. This all proved to be something that both takes long and is almost impossible to get the same impression as the original, at least for me...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Number three baby.

All the freaking way :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

The original scales so badly that it is almost impossible to interpolate where you should put a line and where not.

However, this is actually what I did with my version - except IRL. Basically, I printed the original on an A4 sheet and taped another paper on top of it. Then I traced the outline of the lion the best I could.

That part was not the problem. Problem was giving the thing a decent facial expression as well as the detail of the mane, legs, muscles, and tail. This all proved to be something that both takes long and is almost impossible to get the same impression as the original, at least for me...

I just did it a couple of days ago when I wrote that post. It worked fine for me, since there's easily enough information there for any size, really. Try tracing it in Photoshop or Gimp.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you traced it.. post it and if it's better I'll use it. Why should I have to go through and trace it if you already did?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Love the last mixael version--great stuff!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i must say, i prefer the original by quite a large margin.  of the new ones, the one seen on this page is the best.
I like to stare at the sun.

If you traced it.. post it and if it's better I'll use it. Why should I have to go through and trace it if you already did?

Cause I didn't save it. I was just trying it out to see if it worked.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Detail nitpicking is bull****.  I like this and support its inclusion in FSU 100%. :yes:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Cause I didn't save it. I was just trying it out to see if it worked.

Well, I'm not convinced that it will work with any sort of quality. Till I see otherwise, I'm just going to go with what I have.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Till I see otherwise, I'm just going to go with what I have.

Suit yourself.