Author Topic: Wiki sidebar appears below the article in Firefox  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Yarn

Wiki sidebar appears below the article in Firefox
As the title says, the sidebar appears at the bottom of the page instead of the top when I view the wiki in Firefox 9. This does not happen in Internet Explorer 9. I have not tested it with other browsers.

Also, visited links in the wiki have the same color as the regular text, making it impossible to tell them apart. I suggest changing the color of visited links so they're distinguished from normal text.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Re: Wiki sidebar appears below the article in Firefox
I have the sidebar issue as well, since upgrading to FF9. Not sure if it's a bug in FF or something that needs to be fixed Wiki-side.

And yeah, the visited links being indiscernible are a minor annoyance as well, that's been around for a long time.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
As the title says, the sidebar appears at the bottom of the page instead of the top when I view the wiki in Firefox 9. This does not happen in Internet Explorer 9. I have not tested it with other browsers.
you're not the only one.  :(

Also, visited links in the wiki have the same color as the regular text, making it impossible to tell them apart. I suggest changing the color of visited links so they're distinguished from normal text.
is there any way to change this?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
This is apparently a bug in Firefox (https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31807).

There is a workaround on the mediawiki side, but it requires modifying a file on the backend and potentially breaking it for other browsers (potentially Konqueror).

Best workaround I've found is to use Adblock (or something that can block elements on a web page) to block */monobook/KHTMLFixes.css.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline Yarn

Best workaround I've found is to use Adblock (or something that can block elements on a web page) to block */monobook/KHTMLFixes.css.
That worked, but only after changing the filter to /KHTMLFixes.css.

I still believe the visited-link color should be something other than white. Yellow, maybe?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Doesn't the bug report say that upgrading mediawiki to version 1.16 (or greater?) will fix the issue - and that it was caused by some dodgey browser detection being done by mediawiki?  We're running 1.15.5.  Latest is 1.18.1  ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Doesn't the bug report say that upgrading mediawiki to version 1.16 (or greater?) will fix the issue - and that it was caused by some dodgey browser detection being done by mediawiki?  We're running 1.15.5.  Latest is 1.18.1  ;)
It does.  However, manually upgrading isn't a simple case of drop it in and go.  As things are now, if there are security patches and such, they are backported to the current package install. Doing a manual upgrade would entail a bit of work and then it would be one more thing to have to keep an eye on and maintain.

A backport repo might be around somewhere, but then we would have to be dependent on another group/party to maintain that package.  It's a nasty circle, it is.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
ah yes, the curse of linux package management, I'm very familiar with this particular conundrum :)  At work when in this situation we tend to build our own RPMs from source (with a borrowed spec file), but you don't want to have to do that for a lot of packages, and even less so when it's your own time!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...