Author Topic: megaupload shut down  (Read 22373 times)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
If I'm making backups anyway, why not just make them local? I have almost 2 Tb of random crap that's all backed up in triple redundancy and my main PC has a RAID 6 config (yeah, I'm a bit paranoid, but still).

Leaving aside all your on-topic points, this is still unsuitable for a secure backup for anything you'll need after a long period of time. Just for one example of an event that could, despite your local storage triple-redundancy, my neighbors' house burned to the ground a couple years ago. (there was noone home, and they weren't tech people, but it could happen to you too...) If that happened at your place of residence, any non-offsite backups would be lost. Any data that you had in your house would be reduced to randomized bits of charcoal. Paranoid? You're heinously underprepared. (That said, anything even marginally sensitive backed up on someone else's servers should be reasonably encrypted. Your definition of reasonable, I leave to your paranoia...)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
If I'm making backups anyway, why not just make them local? I have almost 2 Tb of random crap that's all backed up in triple redundancy and my main PC has a RAID 6 config (yeah, I'm a bit paranoid, but still).

Leaving aside all your on-topic points, this is still unsuitable for a secure backup for anything you'll need after a long period of time. Just for one example of an event that could, despite your local storage triple-redundancy, my neighbors' house burned to the ground a couple years ago. (there was noone home, and they weren't tech people, but it could happen to you too...) If that happened at your place of residence, any non-offsite backups would be lost. Any data that you had in your house would be reduced to randomized bits of charcoal. Paranoid? You're heinously underprepared. (That said, anything even marginally sensitive backed up on someone else's servers should be reasonably encrypted. Your definition of reasonable, I leave to your paranoia...)

In most cases, you would be right and I actually do agree with you that redundancy doesn't always equal safety. But offsite backups are always about trading security for convenience. Sure, having the "cloud" servers automatically back up your data is convenient, but you could have your privacy compromised. Even home encryption programs are capable of encryption that would defeat brute force attempts by supercomputers these days. But the problem I see is that as it stands, the "cloud" is touted mostly as a solution for small businesses that don't have the resources to run their own clusters. I'm not saying I think small business owners are idiots, but business savvy doesn't necessarily include technological savvy and there will be a lot of them who won't know about encryption or won't bother with it (our society needs more technological education for the common person, but that's a whole different can of worms).

People like me that have one backup in a fireproof safe in a structure not attached to the main house and another backup at a completely different property with everything under tight encryption weren't the intended targets of the cloud anyway.  :p

Dear wonderful mod(s): thinking the cloud discussion should probably be split.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea i do offsite backup, i keep a drive over at my sisters house. if you dont have a relative you could always get a safe deposit box in a bank or perhaps a climate controlled storage unit (based on level of paranoia) and keep a hard drive in there as well would be pretty secure, go in and swap it every couple weeks. id trust those methods over the cloud any day.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

**** that, it's a crime and should be combated.  I don't give two ****s about supply and demand in this context, but stealing is still stealing.

I can argue this on either moral or economic grounds. You seem to want to go the moral route, but I think you ought to at least know what the economic argument is before you dismiss it.

Consider...

(1) Not every pirated copy would have ever been paid for—but if it's a good game, they'll tell their friends about it.
(2) Not every pirated copy wasn't paid for—some people get pirated copies of games that they also bought—either to try the game out or to bypass ****ty DRM which decreases the value of the product

If you piss off the the group of people for whom (1) applies, you deny yourself free word-of-mouth advertising. And if you piss off the people for whom (2) applies, people either don't buy it because they couldn't try it, or they don't buy it because they know how ****ty the DRM is.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Consider...

(1) Not every pirated copy would have ever been paid for—but if it's a good game, they'll tell their friends about it.
(2) Not every pirated copy wasn't paid for—some people get pirated copies of games that they also bought—either to try the game out or to bypass ****ty DRM which decreases the value of the product

Consider...

(3) There are people who will pirate something without any intention whatsoever to pay for it, even if it is good.
(4) There are groups of people who will pirate something, and market it as a legit product to make a profit.

The groups I mention are the ones who cause actual damage, even if the damage caused by members of group 3 is hard to quantify. It is these latter, very definitely criminal groups that need to be targeted. The other 2 in your list are people who wouldn't normally consider doing illegal stuff, but for whom the benefits of pirating outweigh the negative aspects at the moment they do the pirating.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

Your (3) sounds equivalent to my (1)

And your (4) is plagiarism, which I dislike as much as anybody else.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

(4) is organized crime pirating titles and selling them as legit copies. this harms both the rights holders and the customers. it robs the rights holders of actual sales to people who were willing to pay for it. it also robs the customer of a valid license which they though was what they paid for. this is the most damaging for of piracy. it is also not easily circumvented by drm, as the criminal organizations have access to resources to break it (hackers, hardware resources, places to operate, media duplication equipment, etc). this is also the only kind of piracy that law enforcement seems to target (megaupload was treated as such an organization in this case) because of its direct impact on the economy. all other non-profit piracy is up to the rights holders to enforce through civil suits.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
No, it is not plagiarism.  Not even close.

And you're ignoring that regardless of economic reasons a crime should never be considered acceptable simply because the alternative only mildly inconveniences someone.  There's a big difference between actively hunting down pirates and giving whoever feels like it carte blanche pirate anything.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
(4) is organized crime pirating titles and selling them as legit copies. this harms both the rights holders and the customers. it robs the rights holders of actual sales to people who were willing to pay for it. it also robs the customer of a valid license which they though was what they paid for. this is the most damaging for of piracy. it is also not easily circumvented by drm, as the criminal organizations have access to resources to break it (hackers, hardware resources, places to operate, media duplication equipment, etc). this is also the only kind of piracy that law enforcement seems to target (megaupload was treated as such an organization in this case) because of its direct impact on the economy. all other non-profit piracy is up to the rights holders to enforce through civil suits.
when you put it that way, it reminds me of those fake apple stores. not sure if they sold valid licenses though.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

megaupload wasn't representing its downloads as legitimate distribution AT ALL. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

megaupload wasn't representing its downloads as legitimate distribution AT ALL. 

no what we have here is something new. law enforcement is getting more power and resources to fight piracy than it used to. megaupload is still (supposidly) turning a profit from illegal activities, which makes them a target.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Aardwolf

And you're ignoring that regardless of economic reasons a crime should never be considered acceptable simply because the alternative only mildly inconveniences someone.  There's a big difference between actively hunting down pirates and giving whoever feels like it carte blanche pirate anything.

I'm not ignoring anything; I don't think "piracy" should be illegal, except in the sort of case Nuke described.

Piracy is not stealing.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
of course, the only thing people who download things do is a mere copyright violation. legally speaking piracy is not theft.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yeah, and department stores shouldn't have those stupid security tags that keep you from walking out with them real casually.
That's just plain old stealing. That is not making illegal knock offs.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Adding to all of this is the angle of the RIAA lawyers appointed by the Obama administration, copyright trolling as they go.

Also the following list (copypaste):

MegaUpload - Closed.
FileServe - Closing, does not sell premium.
FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..
FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
VideoBB - Closed! Will disappear soon.
Uploaded - Banned in the U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
FilePost - Deleting all material (will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
Videoz - Closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors. Pro FBI
Org Torrent - Could vanish with everything within 30 days "he is under criminal investigation"
Network Share mIRC - Awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrent everything.
Koshiki - Operating 100% Japan will not join the SOPA / PIPA
Shienko Box - 100% working China / Korea will not join the SOPA / PIPA
ShareX BR - group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOPA / PIPA

The Chilling Effect seems in play.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:48:50 am by JCDNWarrior »
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if there is one thing that you really got to hate about the democratic party, its how much they suck on the entertainment industry's collective cock. one of my main reasons for not voting for obama was his running mate's stance on intellectual property rights.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Nuke, sadly it's on both sides, left and right. There are only individuals within the left and right that speak out about real issues. I look at their voting records to get a good idea.

One more link, interesting background:

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-swizz-beatz-120120/

Has to do with MegaBox, which would have caused the entertainment industry much grief and artists much joy, if i read it right.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Nuke, sadly it's on both sides, left and right. There are only individuals within the left and right that speak out about real issues. I look at their voting records to get a good idea.
not all of the entertainment industry is pro-democratic. you still have country music, fox news, sports networks, various radio networks, etc. but as a general rule of thumb pro democrat sectors of the industry lobby to democrats and pro republican sectors lobby to republicans. pro democrat sectors usually outnumber the pro republican ones though.

One more link, interesting background:

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-swizz-beatz-120120/

Has to do with MegaBox, which would have caused the entertainment industry much grief and artists much joy, if i read it right.

that article makes it sounds to me like the entertainment industry is trying to crush a potential competitor that has the potential of completely undermining their archaic buisness model.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Wait, Mediafire has been called in to testify?
"No"

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Another article on Megabox:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/24/was-megaupload-targeted-because-of-its-upcoming-megabox-digital-jukebox-service/

Not that I'm seeing a conspiracy, but I'm not sure that I would be surprised if it was one of the main reasons for all of this.

After all, AT&T tried to do the 'kill off the competition and give a flimsy reason for it' thing when they tried to buy T-Mobile claiming that they needed it to improve their network, why couldn't a group that has even more pet politicians at it's disposal try the same thing?
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."