Author Topic: BFBlue Beam stats  (Read 4902 times)

Offline CT27

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/SOSD_Olemus

I was reading up on the Olemus and noticed a beam called the BFBlue.  I wasn't able to find a page for that on the FS wiki, does anyone have the stats on that beam?

(I'm not looking for everything, just the main stats like:  range and damage per second)

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Well...there's the BFBlue from BP. Why don't you just take a look at the Inferno tables?
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That ship was intended to use BFBlues from InfR1 indeed, not BP's. Not exactly sure what the stats differences are between the two mods anyway.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
AFAIK, the beams from AoA were initially copied from INFR1, though I'm pretty sure the stats have diverged now, due to balancing.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CT27

Well...there's the BFBlue from BP. Why don't you just take a look at the Inferno tables?

A link to this please?

(And on a more general note, I'm presuming they're at least slightly more powerful than the HBlue).  I hope that's a correct general assumption.

Also, if there is a difference between the stats of the INF BFBlue and the BP BFBlue, I'd like to know that too please.  I have tried to use the search function here to find the damage each does (of if there even is a difference, but couldn't find it).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:05:50 pm by CT27 »

Offline Droid803

Just download INFR1, extract the VPs and look for BFBlue in weapons.tbl.
Its easy.

I don't have INFR1 on hand, and INFR1U/INFSCP uses a totally different weapon set.

BP one is on the wiki so you can just find it there.

Range is listed.

Damage per second can be calculated by Damage x Lifetime x C / Fire Wait.

Where C is the beam damage constant, found experimentally to be 5.5s-1 at standard conditions (1x time compression, no beam attenuation)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:32:56 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Looking at both tables, they have a Damage of 2,200, Fire Wait of 30, and a Lifetime of 35.

Offline Droid803

Oh, then they haven't changed?
(´・ω・`)

Offline CT27

I looked and looked on the wiki on all the BP and INF stuff but couldn't find the BFBlue range. 

However, I made a guess as to the range of the BFBlue (not perfect I know, but it's the best guess I have):

SBlue-  6.375
MBlue-6.750
BBlue-8.250
HBlue-9.750

In short, I found all the regular (non-slash) beams in the blue category and calculated to the nearest percentile how much of an increase there was for each new class (seeing that, as the beams get more powerful, there's an increase in range).  Then, adding the "percentages" together and dividing by 3, I came up with an 'average' increase of 15%.  Using that, I multiplied the HBlue's range (9.750) by 1.15 and with rounding off to three digits after the decimal, my 'guess' of the BFBlue range (in absence of more concrete data) is 11.213

Be easy on me FS experts.  I had free time this weekend with the snowstorm up in my area blocking a lot of roads. :)

Offline Qent

For mods, instead of searching the wiki, normally you just open up the mod yourself with some VP tool and look at the numbers. :P

It looks like the BFBlue's range is 9500 m in both INFR1 and BP. But AFAIK it's not actually used anywhere in BP (?), so there's no telling how reliable that is as fanon.

Offline CT27

Not calling you a liar, but it seems odd that a more powerful beam would have a lesser range, that seems to buck the pattern.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not calling you a liar, but it seems odd that a more powerful beam would have a lesser range, that seems to buck the pattern.

Not calling you presumptuous, but these things can be checked by looking at the mod data.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CT27

Thank you everyone for your help.

Offline Qent

Yeah, I got the numbers from the mod itself.

If the BFBlue were used in the BP campaign, then there might be reason to expect it to follow the same pattern of increasing range with power. But it's not, so probably very little balance work has been done on it. If it ever does get used, you can expect that to change.

INFR1 beams all have shorter ranges, so the BFBlue's range in BP is probably a holdover from that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:45:59 pm by Qent »

Offline crizza

Just imagine the BFblue as some kind of artillery beam, blasting away at the Narayana^^

Well, if the BFBlue is like the BFGreen, which is just an overloaded BGreen/(HBlue), it would make sense for it to have less range--exchange stability/focus/range for power. 

Offline Qent

No, an overloaded BGreen is an LRBGreen, which has double the range. The BFGreen, like the BFBlue, isn't anything.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, if the BFBlue is like the BFGreen, which is just an overloaded BGreen/(HBlue), it would make sense for it to have less range--exchange stability/focus/range for power. 
Possible, but it doesn't seem like the GTVA masters enough the technology of meson-based blue beams to overload them with any kind of safety. They already doubt the safety of normally-fired HBlues.

No, an overloaded BGreen is an LRBGreen, which has double the range. The BFGreen, like the BFBlue, isn't anything.
Ahem.
Code: [Select]
$Name: BFGreen
+nocreate
+Tech Title: XSTR( "Overloaded 'Crypt Hammer'", -1 )
+Tech Description: XSTR( "During its engagement with the Sathanas juggernaught, the GTVA Colossus overloaded its 'Crypt Hammer' beam emitters, forcing additional power to the magnetic bottle and increasing plasma core feed rates. Overloading beam weapons is not standard practice on GTVA warships, but as confidence in power grid and heat sink handling has increased, trained crews have begun drilling on tactical weapon overloads. This comes at the cost of subspace engine recharge and emitter endurance.",  -1 )
$end_multi_text
$Flags: ( "same turret cooldown" )

$Name: LRBGreen
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "same turret cooldown" )
Someone doesn't know his tables.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
It's not the tables, it's the missions. I'm just going by veteran comments on the wiki, but AFAIK no BFGreen is ever actually fired in the campaign. LRBGreen is the overloaded BGreen, regardless of what Blue Planet tables say.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
there was not a BFGreen in retail FRED.
I like to stare at the sun.