Author Topic: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep  (Read 36544 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep
If you need another warm body, toss me in there too.  I did pretty well in NGTM-1R's playthrough until I took some plasma to the chest in my first mission.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
18 days to recovery???

The screenshot showed barely any damage...like maybe 1/5th of my health bar was gone.
And only 2 kills? Something ain't right here.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

18 days to recovery???

The screenshot showed barely any damage...like maybe 1/5th of my health bar was gone.
And only 2 kills? Something ain't right here.....

Ha ha, yeah. It was a bit longer than I remembered. Wounds always take a long while to heal.

And the best kills/missions ratio is currently held by the replacement rookie carrying your heavy cannon with HE rounds. I think that was a fluke. The best kills/missions ratio for a legit soldier is Dekker, with a 1/1 rate. Not every soldier gets a kill every mission, since there's usually more of us than there are of them.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Sign me up. I can be anything; Rifleman, Heavy... corpse. I'm not that picky.
Habeeb it...

April 5th – Spotted a small scout sub, shot it down with authority, and landed soldiers to take it.

The new rookies handled themselves fairly well, with Gortef distinguishing himself by getting three kills (!) with auto fire from his gauss rifle. He was wounded in the process, but is expected to make a full recovery. Alex Heartnet got a kill when he bullseyed an alien at long range with an HE cannon shell.

Camping the door to the enemy sub, our tank gets wasted by the two surviving aliens inside.

Mongoose, unfortunately, perished when he missed at close range, drawing return fire.

His angry ghost is already on station back at base, itching for revenge against the dirty aliens.

April 7th – Medium sub, mobbed by both Barracudas, and crashed south of Iceland.

For some reason, the game says I don't have enough store space to get a new tank, so until I can figure out why that is and clear it up, the squad is operating tankless. It could be worse, but we're professionals and veterans, right? Yes, of course, naturally.

The mission starts, and my soldiers spread out from the sub. No contacts on the first turn, but on the alien phase, we spot several Aquatoids milling about. They're carrying disruptor bomb launchers! Fortunately, nobody fires any yet.

Broski, covering the area to the rear of the Triton, gets sneak attacked by an Aquatoid with a sonic cannon. He takes a shot to the arm, but survives with 3 HP and 2 critical wounds. He even gets a reaction shot, but in his condition misses horribly. The alien ducks behind cover, thinking he'll be safe. Heh.

Broski fires two rounds at the general area the alien is in, but without the use of his badly wounded arm, naturally misses so badly that not even splash damage kills the alien. Jonesey tosses a grenade over there to handle it, while jr2 busts out his medi-kit to heal Broski.

Ghost Mongoose spots an alien to the south, but fails to kill it. NGTM-1R steps up and snipes it with auto fire.

Moving ahead of the squad, in order to try to make contact and eliminate any other aliens carrying disruptor launchers, Ravana is caught in the middle of some natural cover, and takes a direct hit from a disruptor bomb, and perishes. She's far enough from any other soldiers so that she's the only one.

(That's her body near the cursor, the explosion extends alllll the way to the other side of the screen. Those things are nasty)

Moving North, hoping to take out the alien that killed Ravana, Ghost Mongoose spots one. Is that it? Or just another bystander? Doesn't matter, Mongoose shoots at it. He gets one hit, but the alien doesn't go down. Mongoose moves forward to cover, and to allow NGTM-1R to get a clean shot from back near the sub.

NGTM-1R fires six shots at the alien, one of them hitting it and finishing it off, one of them accidentally hitting Mongoose in the back.

“What the **** man??”, he probably shouts, as he turns around and starts to limp back toward the sub for medical attention. Just a few spaces that way, a hidden Aquatoid blasts him with a sonic cannon. His ghost is going to be extra-vengeful now.

NGTM-1R saw where the shot came from, and takes that alien out.

As EnsignDJ approaches the enemy sub, he spots two aquatoids carrying disruptor launchers. He has 40 TUs left, so he makes a judgment call. That's enough for exactly two snap shots, one for each enemy if all goes well. He takes aim, and fires. His first shot goes wide. That plan's not going to work, but if he can at least take out one of them, the chances of survival double. He fires again, and misses. Crap.

Every other soldier on the map with enough TUs and a line of sight on the aliens fires everything they have, but nobody gets a hit. Except for Ravenholme, who shoots DJ in the back a little. He survives though, so it's cool. And much to my surprise and relief, neither of the aliens fires at anybody on their turn.

EnsignDJ tosses a grenade at one of the aliens, and then proceeds to beat a hasty strategic retreat. Ravenholme heads toward him at a good clip just repeating “I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry” over and over again. Even as DJ hands him his medi-kit and Ravanholme patches him up, he keeps repeating “I'm sorry” until EnsignDJ smacks him and yells at him to pull himself together.
Ravenholme packs up the medi-kit and marches bravely on toward the enemy sub, determined to make up for his failure, while EnsignDJ mutters to himself and heads back toward the Triton.
NGTM-1R hefts his own grenade at the other Aquatoid with a disruptor, turning it to chum.

Earlier this mission, Lilith had shot an Aquatoid, but just knocked it out instead of killing it. So on his way past, Alex Heartnet decided to check out what it was, and confiscate its weapons just in case it woke up. And also to drop a grenade on it in case it was not worth keeping.

Turns out it was a technician! That's probably worth keeping alive, so Alex just grabs its cannon and grenade and moves on. Next turn though, the alien is conspicuously not laying on the ground. Alex spins around and spots a few squares away, unarmed. Probably got woken up when Alex jostled it and rifled through his wallet.

He considers blasting it where it stands, but since it now poses no threat, calls Lilith back to take care of it. She runs over and hits it with a stun rod while Alex takes up her patrol around the south side of the map.

Jr2, NGTM-1R, and Ravenholme storm the sub, clearing it with a frightening efficiency. Jonesey comes under intense psionic attack and radios up to the squad to hurry up in there. The next turn, he comes under molecular control (this game's psionics), and shoots at Lilith who was rushing forward to join the attack.

She takes one round in the chest, but it deflects off her armor, and she ducks behind cover.

Hurrying up with the storming of the sub, Jr2 gets one kill, and so does NGTM-1R, Ravenholme takes down two, probably the commanders who were pestering Jonesey.   

Mission complete! Upon return to base, the squad is greeted by a fairly irate ghost of Mongoose, and is also treated to a mandatory seminar entitled “Friendly Fire: Why It's Not A Good Way To Win Missions”.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:11:35 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Am I still in the hospital?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Man I am so good at this game

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Ooh three kills for me, nice. I just hope the karma of good aim doesn't backfire in the upcoming missions.

And tough luck for Mongoose again. He will be missed... again.
Habeeb it...

Am I still in the hospital?

Yeah, it's only been about 5 days since the last update.

Sorry Mongoose, hopefully your next body will be a little more resilient :)

Gasp! Another update in the same day!

April 9th – Medium sub is spotted, and barracudas head out. We don't manage to catch it, and it lands off the coast of Greenland, just a few degrees north of our last mission. Considering how the last medium sub went, and the huge numbers of disruptor launchers about, I decide to not mess with an unexploded sub. It's likely to have way more aliens then I'm comfortable with at this point, so I leave it alone to do its thing on the ground. My best guess is it's scouting out a location for a base. I need a good base at this point, so I'm good with allowing this. My subs run low on fuel and return to base, and the alien ship takes off and runs away.

April 10th – The lead researcher, Frank, calls me and all the soldiers into the armory. He's got a big announcement for us.

Frank: “The past few weeks, you've been training with the alien sonic cannons. We are now happy to report that testing on the sonic cannon clips is finally complete, and we will now be able to pack them out on missions. If you'll direct your attention to Phil over there, he will provide a demonstration of the proper use of cannon ammunition.”
Phil: “All right, here's how you do it. First, pick up the cannon. Grasp it firmly in your left hand. Pick up the clip in your right hand, point the business end into the ammo compartment on the cannon, push it in, rotate, and it will click into position. Then you are set to fire the weapon.”
Phil fires the cannon at the paper target set up at the lab firing range, and it disintigrates. “Eh? Ehhhhhhhhh? Pretty sweet, huh?”
Dekker: “Hold on one second there, mate. You mean to tell me that for the past two weeks, we've known everything there is to know about the cannons, we've been pointing them at our targets but haven't been able to fire them because you say the ammo isn't ready? What took so long?”
Frank: “Well, we had to make sure that nothing would explode if used improperly, and we wanted to be able to know how they worked first.”
Dekker: “Arrrrgh, we really could have used these when we fought those lobster guys! If you wanted to make sure they wouldn't explode, I have an easier way! Jonesey! C'mere!”
Jonesey: “Yo.”
Dekker: “Load this cannon.”
Jonesey: “Sure thing boss.” *loads cannon*
Dekker: “Now, if he fires it and it doesn't explode, that's all we need!”
Frank: “Well sure, but that's not very scientific.”

So now we all have sonic cannons. The gas cannons are phased out, and now only rookies will carry gauss rifles. The stun squad will still use gauss pistols though. And hopefully soon we'll get some better armor!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 06:48:59 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
Lol @ Ravenholme and DJ's antics.

I'm really enjoying your writing style. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Apparently, I'm competent. This is a new feeling for me.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
Sign me up for Spec-Ops... Gauss rifle and a stunner.

Oh, and do try to keep me stealthy. :)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Anything but a brain in a jar. But if i die, i'll settle for a brain in a jar.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Real men don't die... they take a vacation in Valhalla.

March 10th: Replacement soldiers have arrived, and enough armors have been manufactured for all 10 soldiers. A small sub was spotted in the Atlantic, and Barracuda-1 dispatched.

It's heading South, and it doesn't look like we'll be able to catch it on a single tank of gas. Sure enough, 'Cuda-1 catches up, but it escapes immediately, and my sub hits bingo fuel shortly thereafter. Barracuda-2 and the Triton are dispatched (so that I could land and attack during daylight if it's shot down), but the alien ship goes out of range and tracking is lost on it. All ships return to base for refueling. Alien sub 6 resurfaces soon, over North America. Barracuda-2 is on the case, and after a brief battle, shoots down the alien. It's a new model, one I haven't seen yet, this game.

The Triton lands around dusk, just in time to not be too dark to operate. It's a fairly mundane mission. Only aquatoids about, and the rookies make a good account of  themselves. There's only one loss, a rookie who died to a sonic pulser. We captured 2 live aliens, but I don't know what their roles were; they must have been knocked unconscious in the crash.

And so ends the pre-recorded buffer! Finally! Next up, we get the whole custom squad out.

March 14th: Small sub spotted, 'Cuda-1 out. The alien sub escapes, my sub runs out of fuel, and Barracuda-2 can't get there before it disappears. It comes back by our base on the 17th, the fool!, and I go after it again. A fierce battle ensues, but despite taking minor damage, Barracuda-1 prevails and shoots down the alien.

Before dawn even rolls around, another small alien sub pops up near my base. Barracuda-2 chases it to the southern coast of Africa, and dual torpedoes knock it down.

The Triton takes off for the first crash site once dawn... dawns.

On mission start, the tank goes out as usual, followed by Dekker and Sparda, and TrashMan on the next turn. It's another volcanic map.

During the aliens' turn, we spot one moving around behind a hill.

Dekker's nearby, but opposite of another hill. He primes a sonic pulser and hocks it over.

The grenade explodes quite well, and on the next turn the tank surveys the damage. Two bodies! And check out the chunk missing from the hill too.

As our soldiers swarm over the map, we spot the enemy sub. We know there's at least one alien hiding out in there. And Dekker spots another Aquatoid wandering around outside, sneaks up on it, and shoots it until it dies.

While my soldiers form up around the sub, Son of Dudeski puts explosive rounds through the gap in the hull.

If there's any aliens near that gap, they're going to be well pinned down. That's the theory anyway, I'm not sure the AI is smart enough to stay pinned down.

Anyway, we storm the sub, and Rakshasa spots him first, and she gets the kill.
At the daily briefing for X-COM soldiers, Lieutenant Dekker speaks.

"Now that the commander finished up that training sim codenamed "FO:NV", we can get back to work. Hold your cheers, we have a spot of bad news first:
Our sister program, HLPX-COM lost all hands on a disastrous mission just two days ago. HLPX-COM will be back on its feet shortly, and I've already received word of a successful first mission and some temporal hijinks. But this just underscores the importance of keeping our wits and finishing this fight! First if possible! OK, you can cheer now."
*cheers*

April 15th : We spot a small sub lurking, and shoot it down. This will be an excellent opportunity to test the sonic cannons in a real-world situation without too much stress. On touchdown, SpardaSon parks next to the front of the Triton. An aquatoid spots him, takes a long-range potshot, and splashes him full in the chest. Most of the blast is absorbed by his armor, but two internal injuries promise to put him in the ground if not tended to.

SpardaSon fires a quick shot back at the alien, but misses. He dives behind the nose of the sub, so that he can still see over, tosses the med-kit he's carrying on the ground next to him, and more carefully snaps another shot at the alien. It connects, and the aquatoid explodes in a cloud of green and reddish.
Polpolion steps out to help, and uses the med-kit to administer some coagulants and tissue regenerators. The healing boosts SpardaSon back up to full health! After a quick visit with a doc back at base, he should be clear for duty.

Vengeful Mongoose and z64555 exit the sub next. As rookies, they'll be the second line of attack, so hopefully they can get their kills, promotions, and sonic cannons. (And then I remembered that z64555 specifically asked for a rifle, so he'll keep that later, and the stun rod)

As Mongoose scouts out to the south, an Aquatoid spots him and lobs a grenade with its flabby, squishy little arms. The grenade falls short and hits a rocky section one level above Mongoose. When it explodes, it does nothing but mess up the scenery.
Mongoose then proceeds to get line-of-sight on the alien, and pumps 6 rounds from his gauss rifle in that general direction. None hit, and Mongoose doesn't have enough TUs to get to cover. Fortunately, Polpolion is close enough and lobs a grenade of his own over there. It lands wide, but more than close enough to blast it to flinders.

As we move forward toward the sub, another Aquatoid takes a shot at Polpolion, but hits a bit of sea flora instead. Our new seat filler-stunner, Artemis fires a trio of gauss pistol shots at it, but only one hits and it's not enough. z64555 is close by, and puts a rifle round cleanly through its ear-holes for his first hit and kill of the game.

Artemis breaches the door to the enemy sub, with three members of the squad providing cover.

She surprises an Aquatoid solder standing right there staring back at her. Before he can even raise his sonic rifle, she squeezes off a trio of quick shots. One digs into the alien's left shoulder, but it's not enough, and even as she holds the trigger, the alien shoots her down.

z64555 covering the breach from behind a rock, yells and sprays rounds into the sub. The Aquatoid, looking continually more surprised, is split into bitty pieces from the weapons fire. Bursting through the remains of its companion, another Aquatoid fires its own weapon, but the shot hits the rock that z64555 is taking cover behind, just as the doors slide closed.

Vengeful Mongoose continues to scout vengefully to the south, and sees one more enemy. This time, he cannot fail. He crouches, lines up the shot, and shoots the alien through the chest.
Vengeance!, he cackles maniacally.

The last alien is shot dead inside the sub when Alex Heartnet flanked through the busted hole in the front of the sub, and SpardaSon charged through the door.

April 24th: Transmission resolver construction complete, which will help greatly in spotting subs, and also in planning a method of attack. Also, finished that day, research on Ion-Beam Accelerators.

That's on the right track for the endgame, and some extra awesome tech down the line. Meanwhile, construction at Eight Samurai continues, and we stock up eight more (generic) aquanauts and transfer in some equipment from Blue Canary. Sub pens are going to take another half-month, at least, and then we'll be able to launch missions.

April 25th : Now THIS is interesting. Floating Base Attack mission, you say? Bring it.

Well, they didn't go for the attack. I guess they're still scouting for me. Losers.

April 29th : Another sub like #18, is spotted in the Atlantic, and we shoot it down. As the Triton is on its way, Eight Samurai gets its first hit on the transmission resolver. I find this ones mission also interesting.

I dispatch Barracuda 2 to follow it to ground, but it's too far out of range.

April 30th : Touchdown just after midnight at the site of the crash of the cruiser-size sub. Everything went smoothly, and all hands distinguished themselves by ample application of badassery. Mongoose extracted more vengeance by means of a sonic grenade. Lilith was shot and wounded, but survived.

Promotions!

And more research complete!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:17:42 pm by Zacam »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
i can haz rename to LieutenantDJ?

It's only fitting. Wait, can you even rename soldiers?
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
i can haz rename to LieutenantDJ?

It's only fitting. Wait, can you even rename soldiers?

yes

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You don't think we managed to generate these names alone?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Lol, it was done immediately :)

In other news, Eight Samurai is finally up and running, complete with a Triton and Barracuda. I transferred the seat-fillers over to take command of the newbie squad. If anybody else wants a change of scenery and a guaranteed command position, let me know.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
As we move forward toward the sub, another Aquatoid takes a shot at Polpolion, but hits a bit of sea flora instead. Our new seat filler-stunner, Artemis fires a trio of gauss pistol shots at it, but only one hits and it's not enough. z64555 is close by, and puts a rifle round cleanly through its ear-holes for his first hit and kill of the game.

That little extra time at the shooting range paid off. :)

Artemis breaches the door to the enemy sub, with three members of the squad providing cover.

She surprises an Aquatoid solder standing right there staring back at her. Before he can even raise his sonic rifle, she squeezes off a trio of quick shots. One digs into the alien's left shoulder, but it's not enough, and even as she holds the trigger, the alien shoots her down.

z64555 covering the breach from behind a rock, yells and sprays rounds into the sub. The Aquatoid, looking continually more surprised, is split into bitty pieces from the weapons fire. Bursting through the remains of its companion, another Aquatoid fires its own weapon, but the shot hits the rock that z64555 is taking cover behind, just as the doors slide closed.

Sorry I couldn't save you, Artemis, but at least I was able to shred the bugger into confetti.

GJ on the commanding, Scourge!
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.