Author Topic: Star Trek Online is now free to play  (Read 69022 times)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Re: Star Trek Online is now free to play
Found the Shooter control setting.  Makes ground missions way better IMO.

I find the shooter controls terrible, but that's probably because I need to remap them and I'm lazy.
Still better than "select target, stand there like an idiot and repeatedly click the "shoot" icon."
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Just like KotOR, really. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
What's the deal with the Borg Deep Space Invasions? Every time I get the RED ALERT message, I warp there, and it's already over.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep, it was for me too :)

The thing is this :

In the sector space (the astronomical part where you fly to systems) is a borg cube flying around, this is where you get teleported. This "event" will then be quickly over, or the message is being displayed to long

However, I managed to get there once, and I died 2 time before I did get out. These Borgs are extremly powerful, not comparable to the one in the intro. There where like 10 cubes, one tactical cube, a few spheres and some probes. And even the last ones are killing. They use the full program : Bufffs on you, so you can't move, tractorbeams and then it's over :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:31:46 am by Starman01 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
And if you successfully defeat four squadrons, you get to fight V'ger.  Yeah, for realz. :banghead:

Also, wave if you see VA Inara Endran cruising around in the USS Hctib Elttil, an Odyssey class star cruiser(hint for combat, the Soverign is bascially the same, sadly there is no direct upgrade from the Sovvy)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:59:20 am by Liberator »
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Enzo03

I might want to try this one out.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
What's the deal with the Borg Deep Space Invasions? Every time I get the RED ALERT message, I warp there, and it's already over.
I dunno, I haven't gotten one yet.

But that's something to do with me still being a lowbie dicking around with the NX-01 "replica" I got through a limited promotion.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Law of unintended consequences. The Borg Incursions are only supposed to be up/accessible for a few minutes, but they stay up as long as people are en route to them, in them, or loading them. When the first team to finish one (it's not easy, I've only been on a successful team once, and one other time goddamn V'Ger warps out at 3% health with three torp spreads and a Tricobalt Device seconds from impact) finishes, though, it's supposed to lock off being able to join more. Instead it just makes them empty for anyone who's in warp to or loading, who stretch the empty site's existence, so more people can warp to it and start loading...

I gather triggering V'Ger's difficulty actually been buffed substantially since F2P went live, in terms of difficulty, and possibly his own skill use.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I think V's difficulty is based on the sector he's in.  I've killed him in Sierra and Regulus, but no where else because of the ridiculous amount of probes and plasma energy bolts he disgorges.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline crizza

Is this better then Battlestar Galactica online, where you cannot progress untill you're willing to spent absurde amounts of money for ships and other stuff, only to get crushed by people with more money?!

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Is this better then Battlestar Galactica online, where you cannot progress untill you're willing to spent absurde amounts of money for ships and other stuff, only to get crushed by people with more money?!
Much better.
You don't need to pay a cent to have fun until nearing endgame, you get a tier-appropriate ship of choice at 10,20,30 and maybe 40.

Offline crizza

Hm, I downloaded it...I started to play it... and I like it.
Although I think once I have to operate more then 3 weapons it will get kind off...fuzzy^^

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You can set an autofire to the weapons. I just leave my torpedos at manual fire so I can launch them when I know it'll hit an unshielded quadrant.

Offline crizza

I quit the tutorials before beginning the ground combat, 'cause I wanted to watch some more episodes of blassreiter.
Will they tell me how I set my phaser(?) on autofire?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I heard this game was rather shaky when it was first released, but I'm glad to hear it's a fun experience now.  I don't know that I'd play it myself, since I have more than enough huge time-sinks at the moment, but you gotta love good Trek stuff.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
TBH, I don't see the point of autofire, by default everything but torpedoes and mines are bound to the spacebar.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I use the autofire function, I find combat that way much better. Controlling the ship in 3d space with WASD is not that easy, but still the version I like best (haven't tried joystick yet). Also, I'm now at Level 25 and I have more then 10 special actions in my taskbar that I use in the battle, and without firing the weapons manually, I can more focus on the other buttons. :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
10 from your captain or total?  because I find it easier to leave the BOff powers on the BOff bar(s).

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
10 overall, including bridge crew (there are more, but I don't use them all). . Sofar I packed everything in the quickbar. Since I control the ship with WASD I try to minimize space where I have to move the mouse around so I can focus my eyes on my ship movement :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline crizza

Uff, after the tutorial...I'm dumbstruck...this game is much more complex than I thought, missions are neat...
But what about alien artifacts and mineral samples and such stuff?