Author Topic: Syndicate franchise re-make  (Read 1453 times)

Offline newman

Syndicate franchise re-make
One of my favorite games from the era when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, computers took a few seconds to boot up, and DOS was the OS of choice was Bullfrog's Syndicate. For those who never played it, the game took place in a near future world with a distinct touch of the Blade Runner look and feel. Governments in the classical sense no longer exist - it's all run by corporations that spend much of their quality time waging war against each other. The game put you in charge of 4 agents which you could upgrade and equip with researched/purchased items, and had you control them from a top-down isometric view. It was a ton of fun, and apparently somehow I managed to miss the fact that a re-make of this franchise is in the works.

Here's a trailer as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1yQ3PeSSY

The downsides, well, from what I can tell it's either a FPS or has FPS elements at the very least. So it's not exactly following in the original game's footsteps too closely - and while this would have been pretty cool, if this is done at the same level of quality as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, we could end up having a rather interesting sci fi game with a touch of Blade Runner to it.
The other bad thing is that it's being released by the Source of All Evil, EA. So they'll probably force Origin with it. But if it ends up being good I'll probably overlook this somewhat annoying fact.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Re: Syndicate franchise re-make
I'm a cybernetic killing machine?  I asked for this. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Demitri

Played the original back in the day on my Amiga 500. Still one of my all time favourite games. Looking at this remake with some interest but remain skeptical.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline newman

Same here, but on the other hand it seems to be a near future dark sci fi shooter. Done by the same guys who did Deus Ex: HR. So there is some hope it'll at least turn out decent. Anyone expecting a direct remake of the first Syndicate is definitely in for a disappointment, though.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Coincidentally (or not), GOG added the original to their catalog a couple of weeks ago.

Offline newman

I very much doubt it's coincidental, it's a good way of reminding the players of the franchise :)

Offline Demitri

Same here, but on the other hand it seems to be a near future dark sci fi shooter. Done by the same guys who did Deus Ex: HR. So there is some hope it'll at least turn out decent.
I'm actually replaying DX:HR just now so if its done to the same standard then I can see myself purchasing it.

Coincidentally (or not), GOG added the original to their catalog a couple of weeks ago.
I think I'll need to be getting myself some of that!
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”