Author Topic: repairing wingmates  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I would love an option to repair wingment.  However, that would alter game balance a bit, wouldn't it?  I guess it would have to be a flag?  I don't know.. I try to save my wingmen by telling them to depart when they get around 5%, but that is an almost guaranteed way to kill them also, as it makes them an easy kill while they attempt to warp out.  I wish they would look for an 'opportune' time (like when they don't have a Dragon on their tail) to warp out; which could be overridden by another command or something.

Yeah, I know.  Getting attached to AI is stupid.  But sometimes I like to pretend I'm an actual commander trying to take care of my subordinates.  :lol:

it wouldn't alter balance significantly, since 1) AI are mostly useless anyway and 2) they are supposed to be able to repair themselves anyway, they just don't always. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Ever think that perhaps when they don't, it's because their comms are out?
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i checked that.  even if that were the case, that's just more reason for the player to be able to call support on the AI's behalf.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Odds of AI comm being knocked out ~98% of the time...

it wouldn't alter balance significantly, since 1) AI are mostly useless anyway and 2) they are supposed to be able to repair themselves anyway, they just don't always.

I find myself slightly disagreeing with that. The AI is not 'mostly useless'. Especiallly not when you are playing on Insane, where both the friendly and the enemy AI are better at what they do, and where you are just as vurnrable as your AI squadmates (at normal, you have 1,5x armor or so, and there's a limit on how many fighters will attack you at once. This isn't the case on insanity).

Oh, as a side question: Does anyone know what effect ordering your squadmates to depart has? I tend to do so when they are so badly damaged they won't make the next fight, and noticed that the times I started doing that I gained ranks a bit quicker, although I don't know if it just me getting better or it having an actual effect (I know calling reinforcements in makes you lose points, telling them to depart might just help gain them).

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've never heard that, but i suppose it's possible.  the other effect that might be going on is you getting more kills that they might have.  i'd be surprised if any of this made a noticeable increase in rank progression though, especially at higher ranks.  points from other stuff like objectives and cap ship kills are just SO much higher.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I've actually always done that. They'll drop below that line, and I'll tell them to bug out

Also, never noticed that there's a limit as to how many ships attack you on normal. Afterall, I've had an entire squad firing at me, on top of two very happy beam firing Fenris'
"No"