Author Topic: Release 3.6.14 Release Candidate 5  (Read 27213 times)

Re: Release 3.6.14 Release Candidate 5
the warnings are about animation name changes in bp2-shp.tbm  "primary_bank" should be changed to "primary-bank" "secondary_bank" to "secondary-bank" thats it

edit: also "$type:                   door" to "$type:                         fighterbay" and "turret firing" to "turret-firing"

that fixed all errors

Is this something we should and can do? Which file is it?
GODzilla™

I think eventually it will have to be done, hopefully the BP team will do it. but for now you can extract the bp2-shp.tbm file from bp2-core.vp to your blueplanet2\data\tables folder and edit it yourself

be careful with the door entry. there are a lot of the word "door" in the table. most in reference to the kentauroi fighter. those are NOT the ones you want to edit.

I think the whole anim renaming is right now warning that the old names will be removed from code, but haven't yet. I'm not sure though.

changed in rev. 8379

Ah, this is for blue planet. I guess I'll wait for an official fix then. As this project is still actively being worked on I guess there'll be one soon enough.

Plus it'll take some time until I worked myself up to this campaign. Currently I'm right at the beginning of "Shrouding the Light", which will be followed by the original FS2 campaign, then Derelict...and only then Blue Planet. :D
GODzilla™

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm gonna request that something that was included for RC5, be removed.  It seems that code was introduced to ensure that when using sim-speech (at least), a message will always wait until the previous message has been finished before playing.  While this is nice in theory, when it comes to mission building, if one is trying to ensure that events and messages are properly timed, you often end up with the event occurring (ship A arrives), but the message warning you about it, waits it's turn before playing.  I would prefer that this behavior be returned to how it was in RC4.  This will allow me to properly time my messages and events.

Please.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, that was part of the fix to message brackets around ships and how they would disappear almost instantly unless a voice file was used. As is, the timing is (in my experiments) just right for allowing a message to be read. It's set to a certain timing per-character in the message currently. I would guess that if you are having messages in quicker succession then your players will likely not be able to read the messages.

It took a slight adjustment to some of my missions, but nothing that was too difficult. If anything, instead of being removed an override should be added. (Or use the overrides already in place, AKA Message Priority.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What'd be really awesome would be an addition to FRED to play the sim-speech, plus a tool to give you an estimated message length in ms.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What'd be really awesome would be an addition to FRED to play the sim-speech, plus a tool to give you an estimated message length in ms.

Remind me of that in a couple of months time. But be warned that I've found that sim speech is almost always slower than voice acting.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That's the idea.  If a mod is intending to rely on sim-speech, then this tells the mission designer exactly how long a the sim-speech message would be.  If the designer is expecting the mission/campaign to be voice-acted, then they need only estimate the message delivery time and then refine it when the voice files become available.

What is the path for the shaders?

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Check the first post.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
the warnings are about animation name changes in bp2-shp.tbm  "primary_bank" should be changed to "primary-bank" "secondary_bank" to "secondary-bank" thats it

edit: also "$type:                   door" to "$type:                         fighterbay" and "turret firing" to "turret-firing"

that fixed all errors

EDIT: Derpness, excuse me.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Regarding these posts concerning Blue Planet debug errors. These warnings won't pop up in builds newer than RC5, they will be written to debug log only. Since these code changes do not break anything, there is little reason to release an update to fix these warnings until BP has something more substantial to update. Hence I strongly recommend to delete any modified tables once RC6 or final is released.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
The path for the shaders isn't actually in the first post of any of the Release candidates (at least it's not where the shader link is, and I'm half-blind not to see it somewhere else.)

I dug out the directory from the RC2 thread. 

mediavps_3612/data/effects

Could it be included in the RC6 thread OP, please?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Updated the RC5 OP.  It'll carry over to RC6/final now as I use the previous post as a template for the next :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Yarn

Doesn't it just go to mediavps_3612? The file already has the shaders set up in the data/effects and data/tables folders.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm gonna request that something that was included for RC5, be removed.  It seems that code was introduced to ensure that when using sim-speech (at least), a message will always wait until the previous message has been finished before playing.  While this is nice in theory, when it comes to mission building, if one is trying to ensure that events and messages are properly timed, you often end up with the event occurring (ship A arrives), but the message warning you about it, waits it's turn before playing.  I would prefer that this behavior be returned to how it was in RC4.  This will allow me to properly time my messages and events.

Please.
Will this get resolved before Final?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, this is correct behavior.  The previous behavior was a bug.

The simulated speech messages wait their turn before playing because that's what voice-acted messages do.  If you have too many messages strung together in too short a time, then you should space them out, just as you should with voice-acted messages.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You can play around with priorities. A higher priority message will always interrupt a lower-priority one. I'm assuming you are using the High priority only. Is that correct?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No, this is correct behavior.  The previous behavior was a bug.

The simulated speech messages wait their turn before playing because that's what voice-acted messages do.  If you have too many messages strung together in too short a time, then you should space them out, just as you should with voice-acted messages.
I just find that this behavior makes is MORE difficult to synch up my messages.  For a polished product, it wouldn't make any difference, but the creation process benefits from knowing exactly when the next message is supposed to fire.  You can make a better estimate when you know at what point the previous message gets cut off.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Faced with that same problem, what I do is play the speech in the Launcher and manually clock the time it takes to be spoken.  It would obviously be more convenient if this process were more automated, but adding such a feature is planned.