Author Topic: Mainhalls, The English Language, And How To Go Off Topic  (Read 7087 times)

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Mainhalls, The English Language, And How To Go Off Topic
Amazing work, if this is just for a menu is a sad waste, this is so worthy to be part of the game, great improvement.

Thx for the files, I can't thank you enough whoever did them.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Mainhalls, The English Language, And How To Go Off Topic
Amazing work, if this is just for a menu is a sad waste, this is so worthy to be part of the game, great improvement.

Would you like to code in having a launch hangar yourself? You're more than welcome to. You're an idiot if you're calling this bigass project a waste. You try doing something this big and then talk about a waste. Learn to appreciate the **** people do/make for you.

Thx for the files, I can't thank you enough whoever did them.

If you read the thread you'd see it was mjn.mixael and I.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you read the thread you'd see it was mjn.mixael and I.

But mostly me. Just to be clear.  :pimp:

Also, technopredator.. calling this a waste won't get the coders to implement a fully featured hangar system. Just FYI. It really doesn't matter how much you want it, a hangar system is pretty darn unlikely. Especially at this level of detail.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Which is why I named you first. :P

I made some pretty kickass textures, though. :pimp:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

i too look forward to having to sit through a launch sequence before every single mission so i have more reasons to shoot myself in the head

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
i too look forward to having to sit through a launch sequence before every single mission so i have more reasons to shoot myself in the head
Find a copy of TIE Fighter, and play some of the later missions which all had hyperspace jumps.  The hangar bay animations could be skipped but the hyperspace ones couldn't.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Find a copy of TIE Fighter, and play some of the later missions which all had hyperspace jumps.  The hangar bay animations could be skipped but the hyperspace ones couldn't.

it was worth it just to play with a TIE defender though ;)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
First, stop distorting my words and getting stuck at 'waste' and ignoring the rest of my writing dramatizing  this needlessly.

Second, grow up, you look like kids, saying this mine but this is mine bragging like teenagers and calling me an idiot not understanding the intention of words, if you're teenagers fine , but if you're not  then you should really look at your attitude.

Third, I priced your work in the right proportion and the 'waste' word connected with the rest of the sentence is meant to be as a flatter, because it means, if you had taken your time to analyze it, that what you did it was so much better than a fancy menu and it could  be extended to be part of the game, since you did a lot of work towards it. If I had said it was a waste and nothing else yes then It'd meant it as the opposite. You both should learn to take the meaning of sentences not just the words.

@batuta: you had other reasons to kill yourself? then why don't you do it? Obviously for sugar junkies like you it would be possible to the possibility of hitting 'Esc' and en the launching sequence.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:00:49 am by technopredator »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
@batuta: you had other reasons to kill yourself? then why don't you do it? Obviously for sugar junkies like you it would be possible to the possibility of hitting 'Esc' and en the launching sequence.

Whoah, now, that's crossing the line.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yo, technopredator. Don't call us out on our ambiguous grammar while using "I am using ambiguous grammar" as an excuse for writing stuff like

Even in context, this does not make any sense whatsoever and can be seen as slightly insulting.

Let us take this apart, shall we? You say "if this is just for a menu is a sad waste", which you take to mean as "I really would like to see this in real-time rendering". Do note how the way you put it does not accurately convey what you want to say, but can instead be taken to mean such diverse things as "Too bad all this work is wasted on a mere game" or "Too bad this is all just wasted on a very minor part of the game".

Second, if you had asked, "Can we use the actual 3D model in ingame rendering?", which you never did, you would have been told that this is quite simply impractical. Reason for this is that the scene was built with offline rendering in mind, as such, the polygon count and texture use is insane for realtime rendering.

In the end, it comes down to this: Your understanding of conversational english is rather limited. You would do well to improve it, and until such time as you have a firm grasp of the concept of "contextually appropriate language", to restrict yourself to ways of expressing yourself that are less dependant on the person on the other end of your posts to do a lot of interpretation.

And yes, that is crossing the line quite clearly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Keep your tone civil or further moderation action will need to take place.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
hey hey whoa i'm not upset over here let's not start revenging any consequences

launch sequences can be a cool option for some mods; they don't belong in the MVPs but as long as they're skippable they're a harmless bit of flavor for creators so inclined

i've done some launch sequences myself!

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
There is a saying: "For a good listener, few words" I guess this is not the case for many here that has rigid stereotype of wording and won't reason with sentences outside the the usual English expressions canon, like a robot would, I thought you being developers use a lot of reasoning and logic and tried to figure things out in the right sense, but I guess you don't do it with language.

Obviously if I wanted to insult I'd say: "this is a lot of the same crap only nicer you should work to put this on the game you retards" or something like that, and I wouldn't use words like: "I priced your work", "great improvement","you did a lot of work towards it", "Amazing work", "this is so worthy to be part of the game". I wonder how can you get insulted with so many pricing words when only 1 "negative" word was involved, I never thought you could be so emo that get stuck in 1 word, ignore the rest hence losing the context in which that word was used, get pissed and insult.

Is like saying: **** you man, this is ****ing beautiful, or SOB when you do a really really nice work.

You expect me to express myself in usual English expressions but you want me to understand your sarcasm in IRC, which is not usual English expression if you really want to get understood, sarcasm being ambiguous in nature, but when I understand I let you know if you ask, as opposed to you I'm doing a better effort to understand your way of expression.

You actually believe I'm coming here to camo a insult with prize? I don't even know how can you take my phrase and take it as an insult, I wouldn't, at all.

I don't see why you couldn't have said: thanks, but even with the work done so far it takes a lot more to make this a functional part of the game and the rendering and poly count used here are for external rendering only, the game wouldn't be able to do it, you need to re-work it. As you can see is not the intention of this work to get there, just take this work for what it is, you're welcome to improve the game in the sense that you proposed.

As for babtuta, I shouldn't bother and I won't.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:36:36 pm by technopredator »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
i thought you wanted launch sequences  :confused:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
tl;dr

You realize that making long-winded posts like that really doesn't help, right? You come off as an asshole a lot. Telling Battuta "why don't you kill yourself" is a prime example.

Also it has been stated that these mainhalls have ridiculous poly counts. If you learn to read the details and **** first before making posts about "oh wow we can do this with these" and making ill-informed statements, you'd be so much better off.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Back up moment and explain why you're being a prick to battuta.

EDIT: On second thought, don't. I won't want to read it anyway. I still don't know what you're trying to say nor how it has to do with sarcasms and IRC.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
man, stop defending me

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
@Cobra: yeah I was trying not to solve anything and just not helping by doing a long and useless explanation to screw things even more. Cowards like you do this, when someone is trying to explain detailed why he is right, run away like chickens, and this time you're being the asshole for saying tl;dr. Typical immature: "you're an asshole, you'll always be, go away, I don't love you and I'll never understand you no matter how hard you try", fine emo moron, **** you, I tried to reason with you.

Ban me now, that's what you wanted don't you, fine I gave you the perfect pretext.

@SypheDMar: read again and this time use your brain

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
Geez, way to break Wil Wheatons first law!
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There is a saying: "For a good listener, few words" I guess this is not the case for many here that has rigid stereotype of wording and won't reason with sentences outside the the usual English expressions canon, like a robot would, I thought you being developers use a lot of reasoning and logic and tried to figure things out in the right sense, but I guess you don't do it with language.

If you were a developer, you would know that preciseness of expression matters a lot.

Obviously if I wanted to insult I'd say: "this is a lot of the same crap only nicer you should work to put this on the game you retards" or something like that, and I wouldn't use words like: "I priced your work", "great improvement","you did a lot of work towards it", "Amazing work", "this is so worthy to be part of the game". I wonder how can you get insulted with so many pricing words when only 1 "negative" word was involved, I never thought you could be so emo that get stuck in 1 word, ignore the rest hence losing the context in which that word was used, get pissed and insult.

Hey, I never thought I would see someone who doesn't know the meaning of the word "fixed" when discussing bugs, but there you go.

You expect me to express myself in usual English expressions but you want me to understand your sarcasm in IRC, which is not usual English expression if you really want to get understood, sarcasm being ambiguous in nature, but when I understand I let you know if you ask, as opposed to you I'm doing a better effort to understand your way of expression.

This is not IRC. IRC, as a nonpermanent and highly interactive medium, allows for quick of-the-cuff explanations. In addition, it is far less formal than the forum. Seriously, a lot of the **** that goes down in IRC daily would be cause for banning on the board, but since both entities are separate (albeit related), different standards apply.

You actually believe I'm coming here to camo a insult with prize? I don't even know how can you take my phrase and take it as an insult, I wouldn't, at all.

No, actually, we don't. We do not know what to expect, really. However, given the general tone of several of your past posts, assuming that you just do not know what you are talking about or that you do not know how to express yourself unambiguously is a safe bet.

I don't see why you couldn't have said: thanks, but even with the work done so far it takes a lot more to make this a functional part of the game and the rendering and poly count used here are for external rendering only, the game wouldn't be able to do it, you need to re-work it. As you can see is not the intention of this work to get there, just take this work for what it is, you're welcome to improve the game in the sense that you proposed.

Because this was mentioned waaaaaayyy back in the beginning of the thread already. There are people here who do expect posts to be read.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns