Author Topic: <all subsystems> option  (Read 1628 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
<all subsystems> option
Not sure whether to post this here or in the FRED Discussions board. Since I didn't find a way to do it in FRED I decided to post it as a request. For SEXPS like ship-subsys-guardian-threshold it would really be helpful to have <all subsystems> as an options besides <all enginges> and <all turrets>. I often had the problem that the weapons subsystem of my hero wingmen got destroyed turning them to be absolutely useless. Just using ship-subsys-guardian-threshold on engines doesn't necessarily work out always either, as pofs have different subsystem names. The Bakha, for example, has two weapon systems.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: <all subsystems> option
One easy option is to have an argument list with all possible subsystem names stored in Notepad somewhere, and just paste it around as needed, then use <argument> in the guardian sexp.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That wouldn't work too well for anything in the player wings as those can be changed during loadout pretty easily. It's not a good idea to continually pass bad arguments to the SEXP as that's exactly the sort of thing that can later get tightened up if it's causing a bug.

I'll take a look at coding this in.

EDIT : I took a look. As I thought it's actually pretty easy to add it in. The problem is that I can only do it by updating OPF_SUBSYS_OR_GENERIC to also give <all subsystems> as an option. Which then means I need to alter all the SEXPs that use that particular type to also accept  <all subsystems>. That's doable, it's just not a five minute job.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:12:26 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Well, since no one else seems to be willing to show support for the implementation of this feature, I'll gladly express mine, as I regularly have to do things such as setting armor types for all subsystems.
Hell, if it's really an easy-though-tedious job, I might just pick up c++ sometimes in a close future, dive into the source code and do it myself :P Although knowing myself, I really shouldn't say that. Not to mention the huge potential of rookie-mistakes, but hell, you guys would be here to give me directions if needed, right?