Author Topic: New Ship Hammer of God  (Read 8243 times)

New Ship Hammer of God
I'm posting this model after making some changes to it that were suggested by other members . I'm new to modeling so there maybe some problem I don't know about but it seems to work for me.

Named after Arthur C. Clarke's book: The Hammer of God

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ndz95fjmeo3mdd

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Re: New Ship Hammer of God
Looks very nice! I like the practicality. Thick, sloped armor plating makes the hull look durable, and the turrets are excellently done. Also...Phalanx CIWS, IN SPACE.

One little complaint: compared to the rest of the model, the bridge area looks terribly fragile for a military ship. It's a pretty easy target. Maybe see what it looks like if you were to place the bridge window on the front of the command deck, right in-between the two rear CIWS-looking turrets. It also might make the profile a little more streamlined. From an aesthetic standpoint, it just looks a little awkward to me, BUT, it's not a big thing. Is there a hangar bay in the front?

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Nice design. Looks like a heavily-armoured corvette/destroyer (which I guess was the point).
The Phalanx and RAM turrets look a little out of place (on one hand they look anachronistic, but on the other hey why change what works).

I like the scorched hull with freshly painted over decals a lot, but the weird texture clipping around the nameplate is a bit jarring.

Overall it looks really cool.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I love your turret designs, but I worry about the arrangement. The ship seems to have big blind spots.

Your art style is great, really fresh.

Offline crizza

:eek2:
Sweet mother of...
I like this ship.
Can we get more pictures, maybe taken from below?
'Cause it looks like the defense turrets are all locate on its upper hull.

There is a hanger bay in the front of the ship.
I think the missiles help out with blind spots and there are smaller turrets that are hard to see form the pic's that help with bomber or fighter attacks.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Holy env/shine maps! You might want to tone those down a bit.  :eek2:

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Very cool! :yes:

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
I love the ship's design, lack of blind spots, and its giant cannons that basically just shouts "Don't mess with me." You should make fighter versions that would go with this ship ;)
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
What bothers me most is a 3600-ish poly main mesh, and then 1.3-1.5k poly turrets totalling to, 50k polies.

This results in ship having a severe case of detail disproportion. Certain things look really out of place. Greeble the flat parts of the hull, not the sides of the damn missile turrets which nobody can/will see anyway. No excuses when you have those huge flat areas with the turrets on them without so much as a box for a turret platform, just turrets sitting in the hull; a hangar which is just a giant cavity with no bay doors, nothing... and then your missile turrets have these little nobs and handles modelled in for its panels (just WHY?)

I would much rather that at least 25k of those 50k polies go into the main hull. When a turret not 1/100th the size of the ship has half as many polies...something is wrong.

My other major qualm with it is the fact that every single type of turret uses its own texture...which I told you about and hasn't been fixed and just isn't a good thing, eating up 5 more textures than there needs to be. Put them all on one bigger "turrets" texture, it will improve performance.

All in all, a nice design and concept, but pretty poorly executed in terms of optimization. No worries, the design is the hard part, optimizing is just realizing what you can and cannot get away with. As it stands, it has a lot of "wasted effort" detailing and providing texture space to things that...are barely visible in every single screenshot of it you posted.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Molaris

is this a specific mod? or just stuff you're goofing with? I see other stuff going on in the background that also has me interested
"Hey, Mike, you think you can toss me my calculations? Thanks! Ah, here it is: "Breach Hull - All Die." Even had it underlined!" -Crow T. Robot-

It's not a specific mod it was just something I made to learn to use blender with Freespace2 the pic's were just tests for the ship. Other models hopefully will get better as I go.

Here's some work in progress.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I like it!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

I need some help with a model

This model seems to be off set in the POF but in blender it looks OK if anyone can tell me what the problem is with it I would be grateful for your help.

Thank you.

Not sure about 2.5+, but here's how I would do it in 2.49:

First, make sure your ship is properly centered - there should be a ' Center New' button somewhere (in object mode), do this on detail0. Then, center all other LODs and the shield mesh to the same point (Shift-S -> Cursor To Selection to move the cursor to the detail0 center, then the 'Center cursor' button for all other lods and shield). Then move everything back to (0,0,0) coordinates; this is important, as PCS2 will assume your ship is centered there. Pressing 'N' should pop up a box where you can see any transformations applied to an object: the centerpoint location, and any scaling or rotation (if any scaling is not 1, or any rotation not 0, press Ctrl-A to apply it to the mesh itself).

If that doesn't do it, you may want to post the .blend file here, so we can take a closer look at it.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
...why bother just translate it in PCS2 lol
Unless you're slightly obsessive about actual centering like me then in which case you probably want to do Blender's version of resetting the X-Form (which is what it is called in max...)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I found out how to translate the rotation in PCS2 thanks for the tip Droid. I'm going to try FreeSpaceFreak's tip just to know how to center everything in blender thanks for the help guys.

iirc, if you don't center properly in the 3d program before export, your collision data gets messed up.  And things like glowpoints and firepoints are offset.  Though that may just be in max. 

I fixed the centering problem with the help I got so far it works in game properly. I still have more work to do on the model but now I know I'm on the right track.