Author Topic: RELEASE: DEV BLOG: Droid803 Tries Proves Hes NotHypocrites + buddy system  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: DEV BLOG: Droid803 Tries Proves Hes NotHypocrites + buddy system
I think it's wasting time. I want my fleet in concrete style, and don't really care about type of mapping. If I can get proper textures faster via tilemapping, why not? Storyline and feelings of the mod are more important... And older model fits better to my fleet. It's bulky and massive.
If the storyline and feeling of the mod is that much more important to you... then why are you *****ing so much about the textures? Seems a bit contradictory to me. :blah:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I think it's wasting time. I want my fleet in concrete style, and don't really care about type of mapping. If I can get proper textures faster via tilemapping, why not? Storyline and feelings of the mod are more important... And older model fits better to my fleet. It's bulky and massive.
If the storyline and feeling of the mod is that much more important to you... then why are you *****ing so much about the textures? Seems a bit contradictory to me. :blah:
This model is going to be used in post-GW Sol GTA fleet in Sol as long-range corvette. My GTA fleet are something very different than UEF, EA, faction from BWO, Solar Union from Dawn of Sol etc. It's as terran as it can be. My GTA fleet is direct succesors of Fenrises, Leviathans and Orions. I want to keep this mod in feelings very similar to original Freespace. Music, graphics, ships... Only refreshed. Textures and shapes of the ships are part of Freespace feelings. Most of the new ships has Orionish textures, like Tereus and Darkness.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Sorry Betrayal, I don't really want that abomination spreading around at all...

It's a waste of my time for me to look for it and upload it. I want mods to use good assets, and I really care about mapping. If things can get better mapping by taking a bit more time and effort, why not?

The main reason I don't want to share the old one as it's poorly done kitbash of two models of different eras, and then a really really lazy re-tile-map job. It feels like I committed some horrible offence (to both original creators of the parts I kitbashed, and to the guiding principles of modding in general) just by making it, much less uploading it for others to use!

I didn't deem it good enough to ever see the light of day, which is why I started the initiative to remake it in the first place... For one, there's some pretty bad tilestretching on the front and back ends which you can't see in that sideview shot (mainly because I couldn't bring myself to show people such horrors), I tried just fixing the maps but by that point I thought I might as well remodel the damn thing.

If you're so inclined, you can go grab the base meshes from one of aldo's modeldump and Solcommand's website and recreate it yourself, its not hard, I put it together before I knew what a Booelan was. I just jammed it together from publicly-available sources, and adjust the mapping. Don't ask me about the old one anymore. It doesn't exist, and if you see someone using one somewhere, I didn't make it. And even if I did and it somehow got leaked around, I don't approve of it. If you remake it, it'll probably be better than what I made.

This thread is to talk about the new one.

Hellstryker, exactly what don't you like about it, and how can I remedy that? If you don't tell me those things pointing it out doesn't help me at all.

If I can get AoD to agree to it I'll pack it up...but he/I might want to keep tweaking a bit (ie. glowpoints, modifying the shinemap a bit)...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Droid803

looks like nobody has anything more to say? :(

did a bit of tweeking

Also increased its SHINY factor.

The original author of the texture had this to say:

[21:00] <@AndrewofDoom> ITS....DEFILED
[21:00] <@AndrewofDoom> BASTARD

to which my response was

[21:01] <@Droid803> I'M SORRY IT NEEDED MORE SHINY

[21:01] <@AndrewofDoom> IT LOOKS TOO NEW
[21:01] <@AndrewofDoom> NEEDS TO LOOK OLD
[21:01] <@AndrewofDoom> OLD AND DECAYING

...what a role reversal.
I'm usually the one going "NO PAINT MORE GRUNGE OVER IT, COLORS ARE TOO BRIGHT!" to Andrew!

That said I use those more of with respect to saturation than anything else...and this thing IS predominantly gray.

Oh right btw this thing has a grand total of 5 turrets lol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:07:19 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
It is a good model.  It looks really nice.  But it's also a little odd.  If so much of the ship is that spinning, energy-saving thing that I can't remember the term for, then it seems like there's no room for anything else on the ship.  This may not actually be true, but it gives the impression that's there's not much going on internally.

Offline Droid803

It is a good model.  It looks really nice.  But it's also a little odd.  If so much of the ship is that spinning, energy-saving thing that I can't remember the term for, then it seems like there's no room for anything else on the ship.  This may not actually be true, but it gives the impression that's there's not much going on internally.

Well, the backstory is that it's an old design from the early days of FTL travel (not quite FS-verse), where the large habitation gravity block allowed it to operate for longer periods of time and act as exploration ships that weren't totally defenceless. Also is that a small rotator needs to rotate faster to have the same artificial gravity, so there's another reason for making it larger (even though at this size it doesn't come close to making 1g with its rotation speed if you actually do the math).  :)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Darius

looks like nobody has anything more to say? :(

We're all waiting for you to release the thing :P

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
From the last picture, the rotational part seems to be quite flat, maybe tuning up the normal map intensity on that area might help.
You could also try adding a new dust/dirt layer and overlay it onto the diffuse. Then grab that dust/dirt map and apply an emboss filter over it, after that make a normal map out of it and overlay it onto the original normal map of the ship with a 10% or 20% of opacity.

Still, all in all the ship looks quite good as it stands right now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline qwadtep

I think it would look good if you added a greeble of some sort to the octagonal area near the middle. Like an airlock or a fuel port or something.

Offline Droid803

On the armor plate in front of the turret? Hmm...
(´・ω・`)

Offline qwadtep

Yeah, there. I don't know, it just feels a bit empty.

Offline Droid803

Re: RELEASE: DEV BLOG: Droid803 Tries Proves Hes NotHypocrites + buddy system
QUICK BEFORE ANDREW GETS BACK AND TELLS ME NOT TO

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/126554/FS2/Impervious_REV.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/?d3da3ag1j98slch use MEIDOFIRE

This link will be gone...soon.
Standard fare from me, meaning no tables. Should be easy enough to whip up yourself, I hope.

good luck, have fun, don't die.
Droid803 is not responsible for any deaths occurring related to this model, particularly not deaths resulting from being mangled on the rotator.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:07:54 am by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: RELEASE: DEV BLOG: Droid803 Tries Proves Hes NotHypocrites + buddy system
Nice.
BTW, I found it's about the size of one Narayana's SMAG.  :)