Author Topic: Space Sim on Kickstarter  (Read 5024 times)

Space Sim on Kickstarter
Thought I'd mention this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm/

The ships don't look great, though, since it's just a promo I dunno . . .

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Space Sim on Kickstarter
You're right, they don't look great, but what the hell, why not. More attempts at a good space sim mean more chances at success.

Yeah it's only 15 bucks for the game, and if it doesn't reach its goal you don't lose out.
There's a shadowrun turn-based RPG on kickstarter as well (Shadowrun Returns) that I might throw some money at.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:21:54 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Get me a kick-starter project led by Lawrence Holland (lead for the X-Wing series of games) on an arcade space flight simulator, and I'll bite.

Furthermore, though I hate to sound like a douche, there's not a lot in Garry's pitch that attracted me to the story he's trying to tell. Adding to that, there's not much in the way of visuals to tell me what I should.. be really excited about in the game he's trying to make. Even when trying to make an old-school game, there must be something new for the player that makes the game endearing. I saw nothing of that.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Like I said, given how little money they're asking I'm willing to pitch in just to give them a shot.

Get me a kick-starter project led by Lawrence Holland (lead for the X-Wing series of games) on an arcade space flight simulator, and I'll bite.

Furthermore, though I hate to sound like a douche, there's not a lot in Garry's pitch that attracted me to the story he's trying to tell. Adding to that, there's not much in the way of visuals to tell me what I should.. be really excited about in the game he's trying to make. Even when trying to make an old-school game, there must be something new for the player that makes the game endearing. I saw nothing of that.

There's a lot of different ways to look at it:
1. The visuals weren't that hot, but it does give you realistic expectations and other Kickstarter pitches provide no such visuals at all. Further I think it's not unreasonable to assume that they don't represent the finished project.
2. It's an investment, even if the game is made but turns out to be not particularly great, it may pave the way to new games either in this company or in another.

Conversely,
1. If this company tries to kickstart a space sim, but no one cares and no one supports it, then why would other companies who might have better or more interesting space-sim ideas try to kickstart their own projects?

So I think it's not unreasonable to assume that there are factors beyond this one game that may play into the decision to support it or not.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:59:05 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd be somewhat interested if it wasn't an open-world concept.  I don't really feel like flying across half a galaxy to get to ten minutes of pewpew.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Open-world would be fine if you had working hyper/sub-space that actually moved you within the universe from point A to point B in a small amount of time.  (Portal does this nicely; albeit with very small distances... still, I think it could be worked out.)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's honestly not really the time required so much as the general design philosophy of such games.  I feel like FS/Wing Commander/the Star Wars sims really got it right with the tightly-focused campaigns.  It allows for some very effective storytelling, and it minimizes the amount of down-time the player has to put up with.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Open world can work just fine. Starshatter does some things quite well in this regard, though it's only semi-open world, and has very limited fixed campaign constraints (it is supposed to be a dynamic campaign). What happens is that the player is constrained in where he or she may go, and how much time he or she may take to complete a mission, because objectives are time-sensitive. Making this enjoyable all the time is the challenge.

Now, this certainly does result in a different game type, and the means of telling a story is achieved in different fashions than a fixed-mission type game... or perhaps that doesn't necessarily need to be true either. However, an open world has the advantage of being endlessly replayable, with no same mission, or seldom the same mission in a game. I think once you can make a stroy-driven game truly dynamic, you've got yourself a winner.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Privateer was open world, and I think most people would agree it was pretty good.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Okay, I'm in.

Also, official word from the comments:

Quote from: Escape Hatch Entertainment
It will have both a linear story mode ala Wing Commander, and a freestyle play-forever mode. Both generate Command Prestige, and both can grant achievements. You can play both, either, or switch off.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm still sad that the nexus 2 kickstarter failed hard. :(
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

What! WHAT

NO
NOOO
NO
NO
NO
NOOOOOOOOHOHOHO

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah...sad how some good games can't get a sequel.

That said....the graphics shown don't look "gritty" or "realistic". Now I'm not a graphics whore and I can enjoy old-school graphics to a point. But marketing speak like that irks me. Don't sell what you don't have. Everything shown so far is graphicly really simple...even the animations look like something I could whip up in an hour.

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I is sad now :(

That said....the graphics shown don't look "gritty" or "realistic". Now I'm not a graphics whore and I can enjoy old-school graphics to a point. But marketing speak like that irks me. Don't sell what you don't have. Everything shown so far is graphicly really simple...even the animations look like something I could whip up in an hour.

Well those are just mock-ups to get a functional video going. I trust that they're going to be able to afford the graphics they're looking for when the project gets off the ground. Just look at the page again, they posted another mock-up of a star ship bridge, and it looks much better.

About Nexus 2, it wasn't on Kickstarter, it was on www.games-plant.com, which site seems to have failed. That could have been part of the problem.

They apparently updated the ship models a bit, though, as I'm not sure how to find the old one I'm not sure how different they look. They seem to look a touch better anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKd8BZ_TcY

Oh wait the old trailer's here, and yeah the ships look a **** ton better. Or at least the 3 capitals in the opening shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWZyJrT8Xq0&

Total Biscuit put out a show on some kickstarter projects including Starlight Inception:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3sIpv64Fs&