Author Topic: Suggestion: Convert subobject to shield and vice versa  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Suggestion: Convert subobject to shield and vice versa
Right now, PCS2 allows manipulating both subobjects and shields in a variety of ways, but doesn't offer any way of transitioning between them.
I'd suggest doing this like that:
In submodel tab, "Add to shield" button would add the selected submodel to the shield mesh, making it a part of the shield. It wouldn't be reversable except by ctrl-z, since it'd remove the submodel's textures and permanently merge it with the shield mesh.
In the shield tab, "convert to subobject" would convert the entire shield mesh to an untextured (or, for example, using the "invisible" texture) subobject.

I think it could be useful. For example, for making shields that stick very closely to the ship's surface, or shielding individual components, like turrets, fighterbays, etc. Right now, there's no way to do either without a modeling program.

Re: Suggestion: Convert subobject to shield and vice versa
Just wondering, do shields in FS have to be manifolds? If so, adding components to it may be problematic.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Additionally, converting a button turret to a shield mesh to make it appear shielded could creat an issue with FSO attempting to draw the shield mesh effects with polies that are occupying the exact same space as the subobjs polies that are supposed to be shielded.

Also, I say button turret for a reason, as obviously moving subobjs would not have a shield mesh that follows.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually,  in my idea, if you'd press "add to shield" on a normal button turret, it'd disappear (getting stripped of it's texture and merged with the shield mesh). To get what you're talking about, you'd need to copy the turret and then add that copy to shield (preferably upscaled).
I'm not proposing anything that a modeling program can't do. There are many options in PCS2 that can screw up the model already. PCS2 was never idiot-proof, and it doesn't need to be. "Add to shield" would just be another function you shouldn't touch unless you know what you're doing, but very powerful in right hands.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Just wondering, do shields in FS have to be manifolds?

I'm curious about this too.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken