Author Topic: Theft and Lazyness  (Read 4571 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seems to be the "new" EA policy

the re-hashed DA2 maps.
The lazyness with the ME3 endings (and the art assests used, like Tali's picture..)

And now this:
http://i.imgur.com/oTju1.jpg

http://imgur.com/0kdcz

No shame apparenlty...

EDIT:
A funny comment by one poster in another forum:
GW should retaliate by having the Horus Heresy end with the Emperor trying to decide whether he'll kill Horus with red explosions, green explosions, or blue explosions.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
lol, Shame EA has too much momentum to change any time soon
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What have the recent developments at Bioware to do with recent developments at what I suppose to be the former Westwood? Seems like those studios are pretty separate (despite being under the same umbrella)...

Nevertheless, that isn't just lazy, that's actually so deep into "IP violation" property it's not even funny. It goes beyond homage and straight into copying.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
What have the recent developments at Bioware to do with recent developments at what I suppose to be the former Westwood? Seems like those studios are pretty separate (despite being under the same umbrella)...

Nevertheless, that isn't just lazy, that's actually so deep into "IP violation" property it's not even funny. It goes beyond homage and straight into copying.

It seems to me like the situations are similar. Westwood was just one of a long string of good game developers to be swallowed up, chewed up, and spit out by EA while EA rapes the corpses of their former intellectual properties. BioWare is just one of the most recent examples.

Silly EA.

Only Blizzard is allowed to rip off WH40k.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Do you think the respective legal departments are aware of this? Should we tell GW about it? And more importantly, will we be rewarded if we do?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

We might be rewarded with entertainment.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
We'll certainly be rewarded for it. We'll get to see EA get what it deserves. I hope GW is already aware of this blatant copyright violation, if they're not, it should be pointed out to them.
Also, funny thing that such a paranoid company (who, as you may recall, will do anything to protect their IP, users be darned) is doing this. It's a simple hypocrisy. Another strange thing is that they stole high profile stuff from a high profile company. Baneblade is among the most recognizable IG tanks, for crying out loud. Bunecruncha also quite distinctive (so it most Ork stuff, for that matter).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It seems to me like the situations are similar. Westwood was just one of a long string of good game developers to be swallowed up, chewed up, and spit out by EA while EA rapes the corpses of their former intellectual properties. BioWare is just one of the most recent examples.

The vast difference is that Westwood has been closed down, and I am almost certain that none of the people involve in this were actually involved in the old Westwood games, while Bioware is still largely intact. Now, don't get me wrong here, there were some definite changes from the Bioware of old to the company we know today, but it's not as if the company has been gutted and only the branding retained for marketing purposes. In other words, I am quite sure that Bioware can be incompetent just on their own, they do not need EA's help to do it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, in fairness, a tank is essentially a box with wheels and a gun on top, so I can almost forgive similarities between tanks, but the Bonecrusher rip-off is way too similar to be coincidence, that's a blatant 'borrow'.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Similarities? That thing is identical to Baneblade, right down to the gun layout. Stealing is stealing, spade is a spade. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'd agree there are enough similarities to certainly say the design was taken, but I suppose what I'm saying is that there are only a certain amount of ways you can design tanks, that's what I mean by 'almost' forgive it, it's still theft, but with tanks I don't mind too much, though, obviously, Games Workshop have every right to feel differently.

EA has been sliding downhill for years to be honest, along with Ubisoft, and they are both companies that became self-centric, I have a nasty suspicion that SimCity 5 with its permanently online features are going to do a lot of damage anyway, but either way, their whole attitude of 'We think you are all pirates, now prove you aren't' is going to cripple them sooner or later.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Not to mention now they showed they're pirates as well. Nice going, EA. :) They're about the only company pirating from which I consider a fair game, and they deserve every bit of it.
And to think they used to make the likes of Crysis and Wing Commander...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Maybe its because I take a particular interest in military hardware and make designing stuff a hobby but I can easily recognize the differences between a Leo, Chally, Leclerc or Abrams.  Heck in some cases I can tell different versions of the same model.  They're all NATO tanks built with similar configurations and in some cases identical parts, but each has its own character and distinct features. 

If real world tanks can mange to look unique and different then there is really no excuse for carbon copying fantasy tanks, they might be boxes on treads at there heart but a little bit of imagination can easily make a unique box.  This simply reeks of an appalling lack of imagination and craft on the part of those responsible. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Indeed. "Boxes on threads" can be very different and look really interesting with just a few touches. Take Abrams' distinctive profile, the "bulk" of Chally, or the futuristic-looking Merkava.
And while we're at it, tanks from Crysis, Dune and other C&C games. Heck, even the T-35, if they really ran out of ideas. It's design could make a great futuristic multiturret tank if they added enough of glowy bits and odd pieces.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Sooooo, would supplying them with those two links be sufficient? I mean it should at least peak intrest and raise some eyebrows.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If a tiny corner of the internet like Hard Light has noticed, somewhere actually important has doubtless come to GW's attention by now

Offline Darius

Like kotaku, among many others.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The image, which depicts Command and Conquer tanks that look just like Warhammer tanks, has been floating around Reddit and other forums for the past day or two. But EA says the Command and Conquer tanks are just concept art.

OhFFSthisIssuchBull****