Author Topic: Tracking Beams?  (Read 2572 times)

Hey everybody:

I was falling asleep last night when I thought up a BRILLIANT idea. Tracking Cap-ship beams (Like BFgreen and BFred).

How? You might be saying? there is only 1 beam type that actually tracks its target, aaaf beams! But, for the Cap beams, have the break, say every .0001 seconds, that way it still looks like a solid beam.

I'm not quite sure this works or not, so if anyone who is good with making beams and what not, could they give it a shot?

I think it would be cool, and very helpful, cause some of the time beams sort of miss their target.

Ok, I told ya what I thought of, so, reply here if you have any more beam ideas, or want to try and make the TBFgreen or some other beam like that (Slashers suck, in my oppinion, not enough damage)

Anyway, Cya

Corhellion

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I like the idea but then cap-ships rarely move rapidly enough to warrent tracking... fighters do therefore tracking is essential.

I made a really (IMO) kick ass slash-beam, the trick is to up the damage - slow it right down and give it a nice big explosion. The result is a beam that actually does some decent damage (making it worth having) but is also interesting in that it moves - unlike static beams which might do damage but don't do anything interesting.

It'd be really nice to see a beam that doesn't move in a straight line (the pattern it shoots in - not the actual shape of the beam)... but then this is harder to achieve since it'd require source coding...

There's a lot of other cool things you can do with beams if you have a think about it - but I can't sum up the energy to think about it just now ;)

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Deflector beams...eeh just a small idea.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Like the Prism Tower/Tank weapon in Red Alert 2? You'd need source editing for that I think......
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Tractor beams! :D
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Originally posted by MD-2389
Tractor beams! :D

nice idea, but what would you do once you have tractored your ship, it would just be closer to you have have more weapons in range.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
One idea I had is a pulse anti-cap beam, like an AAA beam in that it fires in pulses, but only at capships, more than 3 shots, so it looks like its hitting a subsystem/turret then targeting another almost immediately.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
that would be cool, kinda like star trek phasers (i.e. Voyager)
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Full Circle will have a similar idea without lagging the hell out of the players computer by realigning the beam every .0001 seconds, another fancy beam trick by yours truely (without editing the source code)... and yes there will be tractor beams also.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

UHM HUMM..

Go full Circle  :D  :D  :D

A daimond can't be polished without friction, nor a man without trials..

^
|
Link to the Kiith Paktu website

In my campaign I have two new beams. Both have a slightly below average damage rate and beams only last about a second, but the refire rate is low so its a very interesting effect. Also gives the capital ship a chance to pick new targets at frequent intervals. The beams also have a high mass, and leech affects. Oh, and high subsystem damage. And they're purple.

I'll post some screenshots when I get the chance.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Assassin
but the refire rate is low so its a very interesting effect
I think you mean the refire wait is low.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Whatever you like. ;)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Well, as long as you don't mind saying the exact opposite of what you meant.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Is someone actually going to try that?
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by Killfrenzy
Is someone actually going to try that?

If you are talking about the first post, then let me tell you, it doesn't work. That's because even if you put the refire delay something like 0.00001 seconds, the AI still adds a very small delay between shots, making it more like 0.1 seconds, and then it no longer looks like a solid beam, but more like the ones Assasin described.

Believe me, I once had the same idea and tried it.
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Looks like a job for source code then?

Originally posted by ZylonBane
Well, as long as you don't mind saying the exact opposite of what you meant.

Christ, relax. Didn't your parents hug you enough as a child?