Author Topic: Ensign-1 - Indie space sim  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Ensign-1 - Indie space sim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQg38nZLT4

You can walk around inside your ship/whatever station you get to, and the combat already looks pretty awesome.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Ensign-1 - Indie space sim
Imagine taking that FPS foot shooter aspect and implementing it in FreeSpace...
Holy **** my mind just blew itself
"No"

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
The technology is cool, I guess, but it also indicates, IMO, why these two genres should be kept separate, at least for now. It's hard to judge from this video, but there seems to be big weaknesses in the space combat - where were his allies? Can you command any allies you might have later? Is there more weapon diversity, and if so, at what point do you determine your loadout? Are there afterburners, or any kind of performance modification controls like that? Do the enemies have missiles, and if so, do you have any countermeasures or chaff or anything? I guess that multiple classes of ship could be introduced as additional ships in the hangar bay that you just choose to jump into, but there's no evidence of that in this video.

And then, the first person stuff seems underdone as well - the interiors are massively underdetailed and completely empty, which, to me, is way more jarring than a loading screen between an FPS and space sime section would ever be. 

And yes, I know it's indie, and I give a lot of credit to the guy for getting it this far. It also means that the fairly primitive graphics (or at least, the primitive looking ships and such) aren't such a big problem for me - I understand that the guy's probabyl primarily a coder, and that the assets are probably more like neccesary evils. Hell, It's entirely possible that his intention was to create a game for seamless foot-and-ship multiplayer combat, and he's hit his mark exactly, for his own standards. And that's great. It's just not for me. Yet.

And that yet is important. As much as I like indy game design and whatnot, I honestly think that to do a game like this proper justice, you need a studio budget and a team of creative people. There's just so so, so much work involved in making a fun, high quality game in either the FPS or Space Shooter genre that doing either one in an indy settign is daunting. Trying to combine them and do it well? I just don't see it being possible, and this video hasn't chjanged my mind. But, again, full credit to the guy for getting his project out there.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Imagine taking that FPS foot shooter aspect and implementing it in FreeSpace...
Holy **** my mind just blew itself

i started a system for that, but i lost interest.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I really applaud the effort, though I wasn't blown away by the gameplay itself. I think the thing that was most disappointing to me was the apparent speed cap on the otherwise Newtonian flight. I understand the issue with balance, potentially, but free Newtonian flight is most fun when, well, it's free!

I think with a few years and a bit more open development, they could really make something out of this engine.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
It does look like it has promise, but untill it matures into the thing most of us have been dreaming about for a while this will keep me entertained to some degree in that respect.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The thing I don't like about AFF is that it... still feels (from the videos, at least) like an FPS. Any sim, arcade or realistic, needs to feel like a sim.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
The game is still in alpha, and it's pretty obvious that most if not all of lot of what's shown here, apart from the whole walking around/open-world stuff, is really placeholder stuff, namely the effects, art, etc. Even if this doesn't materialize into anything significant, just the thought that someone tried and got this far is indeed awesome.