Author Topic: R-22 Spearhead  (Read 11716 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
Why hello team members, and FOTG followers and fan, I am back with a new project.(dont worry my other projects are still alive, however I have no direction to go in with the dagger, as coming up with a texture design from scratch isnt exactly a skill of mine, and the scimitar is still having some issues with the cockpit area uv). so here is the story of my latest project, I began it last sunday after Thaeris gave me the idea after some conversation, the mesh now only needs a handful of defining repairs and details left(smoothing errors, some other stuff). The R-22 Spearhead is a Heavy interceptor, and reconasianse craft, its origins lie in the years following the clone wars, Hoersch-kessel drives had recently changed hands, this time into the hands of A group of entreunpenurs who had ties to the empire, and many smaller goverments in the outer and mid rim. The engineers at H&K needed a new product to market, they knew that caps were out of the question with memories of the war so fresh, so they decided to return to starfighters for a time, and market a product to militaries and civilians in the outer to mid rim, which was being ignored by Sienar with its newly minted Imp contracts, and Incom, working on the next big thing in multi-role fighters. What they decided on was an advanced fighter, that remained within imperial sanctions... almost, as it proved easy to upgrade, and maintian as it used a larger frame, with a more organized acess array, making maintence easy, and was equiped with a hyperdrive, though its primary purpose was ship and base defense. the Spearhead as it was called by its engineers proved to be a superb dogfighter, and became quite poplar, however it also proved to be somewhat more difficult to handle than the older Headhunters, and was far more expensive. When the Rebel Alliance was formed there were quite a few Spearheads in their ranks, also known to the pilots as A-wing due to thier distinctive shape. By the time of the battle of Yavin 4 General Dodonna had recognized the need for a fast light interceptor for the rebellion, and recognized the by now somewhat aged Spearhead could act as a base for such a craft. The R-22 was used as testbed for many of the advances used in the a-wing, a handful were eqquipped with the thrust focusers, and pivoting laser cannons used on the craft, and the design became a smaller, much futher streamlined version of the Spearhead. The spearhead continued to be used till a time after the instatement of the A-wing, and a handful of the 2-seater variation were kept as trainers for the A-wing, as they were easier to maintain, and get flight hours in than the high-maintence A-wing. By the battle of endor the rebellion had stopped using the R-22, but they were still common amoung independents, and occasionly pirates.

in case you were wondering the real story behind the R-22 is much simpler, it was created to retcon the fact that an A-wing like craft was in use before hoth. so if we port any x-wing series over, that had an a-wing in it prior to hoth, you will be flying one of these, not the A-wing, and despite the siilarites in design, the R-22 has a different set of traits, as a heavy interceptor compared to the A-wing as a light interceptor, but balance wise these will be up to the balancers. also, this design was based off the original A-wing concept art of Ralph Mcquarrie, and yes, Blue Squadron will be flying again ;)

but now, you alll want pics, so here you go. (note these are all screenshots, so they arent super huge, but they should be sufficent)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I like it. Bigger than A-W, but evoking it's design. It seems to be missing missile tubes though.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ah wasnt completely sure it those were that, but I am not sure I am going to add them, though I might, but like I said there are still some details that are needed

I stayed up all night in line waiting for this! Good job mando.  :)

In all seriousness, it's a good start. You've really changed the feel of the A-wing, made it bigger in spirit. You could consider amplifying that ridge running from the cockpit to the nose. Make it more noticeable, since it's a nice feature.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
thanks bobb, I agree I will increase it some.

actualy I toyed with it and I cant move it too much, but I think it may be suficent, as it it will be more obvious when it is textured
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:05:38 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
well I showed it to bobb, the issue is making the uv so it doesnt warp on the curve, because I have to put windows there. and grey what do you think of the R-22

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
well I would like to say that, different modelers will depend on certian detail levels, and number of surfaces, also the LOD0 which is the main mesh, is a lot more lenient on poly levels than the other LODs, as its mainly the pilots who see it.
ok detail update, its the warhead launchers there is one on both sides note they may be used for other secondary weapons, as they are designed more flexibly as most depending on buyer and mission parameters, now I cant think of anything else to do much with detail wise, and its at a decent poly level

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
yes, however I am also not super proficent in texturing, and so I ant rely on my normal map too much, and I dont know how to turn a higher poly mesh into one

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
obviously you have never taken a look at the one on axems lambda, which is a whole lot than any of mine, I may run up a bit, but I do know where to be conservative

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
actualy the tug is almost done, it just needs wear layers, I actualy gave it to zoo the other day, also I am willing to listen, and consider what you have to say, though how muxh I actualy take is another, but I will consider what you, said and put some into action. thank you for the feedback grey, I did not mean this to become a  debate

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
greyleader, consider this an official request to cool it.  Your tone here is the exact opposite of constructive.

Offline newman

While gray certainly lost his cool a bit, he has actually been pretty helpful and constructive so far, and got frustrated as he points something out and gets fought off by excuses every time. IMHO, the one sided warning against him is waaay over-reacted. If you'd read the rest of his posts in this thread, you'd have seen he was plenty constructive, actually helping the man with more than just advice.
Regarding polycounts; not sure how many this a-wing spinoff has, but I do like to be careful with counts when it comes to fighters. It's a bit more tolerable on a shuttle because you probably won't see squadrons of them in a mission. With fighters, you'll have wings and wings of them and it pays to be conservative with the counts. Especially since they're small, fast moving objects you likely won't have time to stop and admire in a mission - or you're doing it wrong.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok I think I have got most of the detailing, so I am at a point where I am going to start uving what I have. about poly counts, I do understand needing to keep them undercontrol I did come from the rts communitty after all ;). I do know where to be careful, however you will mainly see the LOD0 when you are in formation, or in a close up dog fight, so yes I do need to be careful with the polycount, but I do have a bit more lienience then you make it out to be, and I have even done some chatting on the IRC so I believe I am in a good range. also in reference to detailing, it should be similar, however the bottom indent is now a grill, either an intake or radiator

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok so this project is still alive. so now the mesh is finished, so I am going at the uving and texturing now
so new pics, the 2 person cockpit, which is now the only version I am doing, and some new detailing

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
Well, I'm back at least for a bit. Been messing around in a different community for a while, but it doesnt need ships, and I occasionaly still get the urge to make em, so expect a couple news ones soon. Don't worry, the R-22 isnt dead, its just a tad bit beyond my texturing and uving skills, but I plan to come back to it soon, however I am in a modeling mood. So expect something new soon

and I dont like the new HLP layout
Argh, there be space pirates  :p hehe

Oh and I have been honing my modeling techniques, and got some new tricks to try as well
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:19:44 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Do you mean new as in new work on an older ship? Or new as in a new ship?

Wow. The word "new" looks really weird to me now.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
new as in all new ship.... well I could return to an older one, but I dont know if I really want to, say Bobb, any chance I can talk to you on skype? I am in the mood for a new ship, but I use some help figuring out what I am going to do

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
ok sorry for no news for a while, good news, thanks to a firend I have a basic uv, though he isnt a ship guy, so it could proably use more polish, but I am not a uv or a texture guy, so we will just have to see what happens from here

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
Well, since we now have the p3D stuff, thought I would show you guys this, even though I have decided to redo the UV cause it needs a properly planned one, even though I stink at uving and texturing, well heres a look at the R-22 Spearhead

Edit: did a quick check and saw some Z-fighting, that is now fixed and the p3D is now the updated model

heh, She will look pretty good in Blue and white when it's textured wont it?

Ok realized I might as well show you guys what I plan to use for the colorscheme, well its the same thing thta helped inspire the ship overall, the original A-wing concept art

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:17:51 pm by mandobardanjusik »

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Looks pretty good!  I hope you're able to get this textured and completed, it'd be a nice addition.