Author Topic: What size monitor do you game on?  (Read 4431 times)

What size monitor do you game on?
And how do you like it?

I'm looking for inches, aspect ratio and resolution.

Is 16:10 better than 16:9?  I realize the industry is moving toward a universalized 1080 market, which means 16:10 is a dying breed, but is it better than 16:9?  Enough so to justify an extra $90 in monitor cost?

I'm trying to decide between these three monitors:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050010772%2040000020%20600030155&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=20%7C24-260-055%5E24-260-055-TS%2C24-260-047%5E24-260-047-TS%2C24-260-054%5E24-260-054-TS
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: What size monitor do you game on?
I've heard that 16:10 is the standard for most recent games, but I've never encountered something that couldn't also run 16:9.

My experience with IPS is non-existent, so I can't offer an opinion on any those.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
This is what I'm currently using
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-acer-s243hl-acer-price-208082.html

It's great and has yet to cause me any grief.
I'm not big on Dell though

24" 16:9 and less than what you've listed
"No"

I'm using a 22 inch ViewSonic, runs at 1680x1050.
I like it a lot, though a few games don't support this resolution natively. It's generally trivial to squeeze them into something that does work though.

Offline newman

Recently got myself a pair of Dell 2412m's, 1920x1200. Couldn't be happier. I switched from a couple of 1600x1200 panels, and I didn't want to give up the 120 pixels of vertical resolutions by going to 1080. I also work on a pair of 1920x1080 monitors at work, and the difference in work area is very, very noticable. Anyone who says the 120 pixels of difference isn't a lot probably hasn't tried both standards. It's of course a personal thing, but 16:10 is also a much nicer aspect ratio for me. A couple of 16:9 are a too narrow strip for me.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
a samsung syncmaster p2570. i forget what its dimentions are but it has a nice 1080p resolution.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
If you have the money to spend, many plasma screen TV's double as computer monitors.  I use a 42" Samsung Series 4 Plasma TV, with a screen resolution of 1928x1080

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
a 22inch samsung syncmaster 2233 and a eizo flexscan s2231w here.
both at 1680x1050, never had any problems with this resolution on any games. the samsung has one dead pixel tho'
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I bought a 22" LG 1080p screen from a friend. Works like a charm. I also have a side Acer 1366x768 which mainly serves as a IRC screen.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
This is what I'm currently using
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-acer-s243hl-acer-price-208082.html

It's great and has yet to cause me any grief.
I'm not big on Dell though

24" 16:9 and less than what you've listed
Acer v243h here, with a NEC 1970NX

dual screen ftw :p

so yeah, 24", 1920x1080 is glorious for gaming and the second monitor is glorious for the rest.

btw, deathfun, hows your vertical FOV on the acer? does it change colors horribly between various head positions?
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Lester

Philips 190S, 19'', 1280x1024. I've had it for five years or so and it's still working without a hitch.

Offline Mikes

Using this for the last 2 and a half years: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-eizo-cg243w.html and hope it will enjoy a long and happy life.
Once it does break after the 5 year warranty, I would propably want to get the same one again - if they still make them then.

A good monitor is one of the few things that doesn't become obsolete until it dies these days  :)

Oh and... once you have gone IPS, you do not go back. It is that simple.
For a gamer the main problem now is that IPS panels with low input lag and without other issues (evenness of lighting, black values, candy colors etc.) are rare and/or expensive.

On the other hand... even the lowest quality IPS panel with acceptable input lag will wipe the floor with any TN panel in direct comparison.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:00:53 am by Mikes »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I play on an Acer AL1916W, 16:10, 1440x900.  I'd get something bigger and better, as I think my video card is capable of doing better than my monitor, but I'm currently in a tight state money-wise, and my current 19" is doing just fine.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I play on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050.  16" monitor, 1366x768 resolution.  16:9 aspect ratio, or thereabouts.  It's a good monitor for a laptop, even if my video card can go suck something unpleasant.

Offline Kolgena

16.4" monitor, 1080p on my laptop. It's basically a retina display at ~2 feet away. The horizontal space is nice to have so you can view things side-by-side, but I've never worked on 16:10 before to appreciate the extra height. However, I would hesitate to go down to 1680x1050 (16:10) for such a huge loss in horizontal space and would be happier with 1920x1200 if I wanted to try 16:10 over 16:9. For me, actual resolution matters a heck of a lot more than screen size. A 13.1 inch 1600x900 monitor (which I had for a while) is far more productive than any size of 1366x768, a useless max resolution imo. Some people complain of very high dpi making screen elements too small, but that has never really been an issue for me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm still on an ancient Dell 19" CRT running at 1280x960.  It's slowly starting to go on the fritz, but until I can get enough dough pooled to build an uber-system, it'll suffice.

Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I have a pair of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052 got em for $240 on sale.

The extra pixels in 1920x1200 is so worth it, I'll never go back to 1080 if I can help it. They're not LED backlit, but they serve me well.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline LHN91

Currently using a bargain-basement Acer 21.5 inch 16:9 1080p set as my main screen, with a "reclaimed" (two broken screens, one dead screen, one dead power supply, making one working screen after frankensteining) Dell 19" 4:3 LCD at 1280x1024 that rotates to portrait mode for code, webpages and whatnot.

Although the Acer has proven reliable, I'll be the first to admit the color reproduction is awful, especially at vertical angles and dark scenes. Cheap TN panel.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
"No"